Credit in CCM from previous residency?

Started by kidmd44
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kidmd44

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody have an opinion on whether or not the ABA will give credit for CCM to folks like me who are switching into anesthesia? As I on a previous post, I will have graduated from an ICU-heavy pediatric program and am hoping to get credit for at least one month of CCM in anesthesia. Certainly taking care of adults in an ICU will be wonderfully educational for me, and I would indeed appreciate that experience. But perhaps I need to only do one month? What do you think.

To give you an idea, for peds, I've done the following: 3 months in NICU, 2 months in peds CCU, 4 months in PICU, and 2 months in peds BMT.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
 
kidmd44 said:
Anybody have an opinion on whether or not the ABA will give credit for CCM to folks like me who are switching into anesthesia? As I on a previous post, I will have graduated from an ICU-heavy pediatric program and am hoping to get credit for at least one month of CCM in anesthesia. Certainly taking care of adults in an ICU will be wonderfully educational for me, and I would indeed appreciate that experience. But perhaps I need to only do one month? What do you think.

To give you an idea, for peds, I've done the following: 3 months in NICU, 2 months in peds CCU, 4 months in PICU, and 2 months in peds BMT.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The ABA will require 6 months of critical care medicine, but has not delineated any specific ICU requirements in terms of pediatric or adult critical care. I think it will be very program specific. A program may take none, one, two, or all of your months and count it towards your critical care requirement. The ABA will accept whatever months the program you transfer to accepts. In the past there has been an institution dependent rule that you had to have had ICU training in an ICU that had an anesthesiologist on staff, but I think that has fallen by the wayside.

Whichever programs you interview at, you should ask them specifically about this situation.