credit score and private loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Therese737

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of someone who had a "low" credit score (below 675 ?) and got approved for a private loan for medical school? It will be another 1-2 years before I apply for such a loan, but my credit score may not be that high by then. Fortunately, the derogatory items on my credit report are 3-4 years old, and have been paid in full, have zero balances, but it still is bringing down my FICO score. Are there lenders who will give you a second look since your balances are all zero? I don't have a cosigner, so I hope there's a way!
 
Originally posted by Therese737
Does anyone know of someone who had a "low" credit score (below 675 ?) and got approved for a private loan for medical school? It will be another 1-2 years before I apply for such a loan, but my credit score may not be that high by then. Fortunately, the derogatory items on my credit report are 3-4 years old, and have been paid in full, have zero balances, but it still is bringing down my FICO score. Are there lenders who will give you a second look since your balances are all zero? I don't have a cosigner, so I hope there's a way! [/QUOT

I would consider 675 a pretty good credit score. If by below below 675 you mean a score of 500 I would say you might have a pretty high interest rate or might even require a co-signer. Either way the fact that you are a prospective med student almost quarantees you a private loan.
 
Nope, just being a medical student does not guarantee a private loan. I have a 650 score from messing up with credit cards my first year in college and they were still on there when i needed a private loan...I was told no way, no how without a co-signer and even then i was rejected until my aunt with a 800+ score cosigned. For some reason, banks think medical school is akin to college, that you're going to drop out at any time (as was the opinion voiced to me by a wellsfargo rep...she said there was no guarantee that I would finish school....urgh..*****s
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are all credit-reporting agencies supposed to give you a score?

I got messed up by my parents: after my brother messed up with credit cards, they FORBADE me from getting a credit card (on the threat of not helping me out w/ college) and now I only have 2 years of credit history (since graduation). Thank God there is only good stuff on there, but I'm worried I won't have a high enough score to qualify for loans now. I've been declined credit cards because of my lack of history.

The irony is, my dad is actually a loan officer at a bank!! Yeesh, he should have known better!