• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Therese737

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Does anyone know of someone who had a "low" credit score (below 675 ?) and got approved for a private loan for medical school? It will be another 1-2 years before I apply for such a loan, but my credit score may not be that high by then. Fortunately, the derogatory items on my credit report are 3-4 years old, and have been paid in full, have zero balances, but it still is bringing down my FICO score. Are there lenders who will give you a second look since your balances are all zero? I don't have a cosigner, so I hope there's a way!

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Westside,allright
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Therese737
Does anyone know of someone who had a "low" credit score (below 675 ?) and got approved for a private loan for medical school? It will be another 1-2 years before I apply for such a loan, but my credit score may not be that high by then. Fortunately, the derogatory items on my credit report are 3-4 years old, and have been paid in full, have zero balances, but it still is bringing down my FICO score. Are there lenders who will give you a second look since your balances are all zero? I don't have a cosigner, so I hope there's a way! [/QUOT

I would consider 675 a pretty good credit score. If by below below 675 you mean a score of 500 I would say you might have a pretty high interest rate or might even require a co-signer. Either way the fact that you are a prospective med student almost quarantees you a private loan.

trex92499

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2003
The South Pole
Visit site
Status
Nope, just being a medical student does not guarantee a private loan. I have a 650 score from messing up with credit cards my first year in college and they were still on there when i needed a private loan...I was told no way, no how without a co-signer and even then i was rejected until my aunt with a 800+ score cosigned. For some reason, banks think medical school is akin to college, that you're going to drop out at any time (as was the opinion voiced to me by a wellsfargo rep...she said there was no guarantee that I would finish school....urgh..*****s

About the Ads

lessismoe

Momma to Ronan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2003
CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Are all credit-reporting agencies supposed to give you a score?

I got messed up by my parents: after my brother messed up with credit cards, they FORBADE me from getting a credit card (on the threat of not helping me out w/ college) and now I only have 2 years of credit history (since graduation). Thank God there is only good stuff on there, but I'm worried I won't have a high enough score to qualify for loans now. I've been declined credit cards because of my lack of history.

The irony is, my dad is actually a loan officer at a bank!! Yeesh, he should have known better!

May 31, 2003
FL
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
so, you can get rejected for the private student loans even with a cosigner that has good credit if your credit is crappy?

About the Ads