1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

credit score and private loans

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by Therese737, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Therese737

Therese737 Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know of someone who had a "low" credit score (below 675 ?) and got approved for a private loan for medical school? It will be another 1-2 years before I apply for such a loan, but my credit score may not be that high by then. Fortunately, the derogatory items on my credit report are 3-4 years old, and have been paid in full, have zero balances, but it still is bringing down my FICO score. Are there lenders who will give you a second look since your balances are all zero? I don't have a cosigner, so I hope there's a way!

2. supereagles

supereagles Spread your wings and fly
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trex92499

trex92499 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Nope, just being a medical student does not guarantee a private loan. I have a 650 score from messing up with credit cards my first year in college and they were still on there when i needed a private loan...I was told no way, no how without a co-signer and even then i was rejected until my aunt with a 800+ score cosigned. For some reason, banks think medical school is akin to college, that you're going to drop out at any time (as was the opinion voiced to me by a wellsfargo rep...she said there was no guarantee that I would finish school....urgh..morons

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lessismoe

lessismoe Momma to Ronan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are all credit-reporting agencies supposed to give you a score?

I got messed up by my parents: after my brother messed up with credit cards, they FORBADE me from getting a credit card (on the threat of not helping me out w/ college) and now I only have 2 years of credit history (since graduation). Thank God there is only good stuff on there, but I'm worried I won't have a high enough score to qualify for loans now. I've been declined credit cards because of my lack of history.

The irony is, my dad is actually a loan officer at a bank!! Yeesh, he should have known better!

5. zinjanthropus

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    so, you can get rejected for the private student loans even with a cosigner that has good credit if your credit is crappy?