Credit Worthiness for Rotation Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dares Dareson

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an M3, but for reasons outside the scope of this thread, I ended up filling out an away rotation application for a different clinical site within my medical school's systems. I have two issues:

(1) The application required a $250 fee. Are fees like this standard practice for away rotations?

(2) The application required a release for them to check my credit report "at any time" with no limitations on whether they can sell that information to be used by telemarketers and spammers. Is this common as well?

(3) They also asked for release to check my criminal record. This makes more sense but still seems a bit extreme.

I was really taken aback by the credit report form. I've never once been asked about credit worthiness in the course of medical school or undergrad. I suppose it might be relevant when it is time to apply for a medical license, but for a simple 4th year rotation?
 
1. It happens but I wouldn't call it common. $250 just for the application? No thanks..
2. lolwut. Red flag #2
3. Common
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an M3, but for reasons outside the scope of this thread, I ended up filling out an away rotation application for a different clinical site within my medical school's systems. I have two issues:

(1) The application required a $250 fee. Are fees like this standard practice for away rotations?

(2) The application required a release for them to check my credit report "at any time" with no limitations on whether they can sell that information to be used by telemarketers and spammers. Is this common as well?

(3) They also asked for release to check my criminal record. This makes more sense but still seems a bit extreme.

I was really taken aback by the credit report form. I've never once been asked about credit worthiness in the course of medical school or undergrad. I suppose it might be relevant when it is time to apply for a medical license, but for a simple 4th year rotation?
What the hell sort of operation are they running? A few bucks, sure, I'd pay, but $250? I paid less than that for housing at one of my rotations for the month.