Creditialing for insurance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ryan_eyeball

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI

I was wondering if some of the current docs knew how easy it is to get on medical insurance programs as an independent doctor of optometry. I know some states recognize us now as "Optometric physician", and is easy to get on medical insurance plans.

Do i just call up insurance companies like Blue Cross/Shield, UHC, Aetna, etc in the particular state that I want to practice or should I contact the state board. I would just like someone else's feedback.

Sorry if I stated anything wrong.
 
Ryan_eyeball said:
HI

I was wondering if some of the current docs knew how easy it is to get on medical insurance programs as an independent doctor of optometry. I know some states recognize us now as "Optometric physician", and is easy to get on medical insurance plans.

Do i just call up insurance companies like Blue Cross/Shield, UHC, Aetna, etc in the particular state that I want to practice or should I contact the state board. I would just like someone else's feedback.

Sorry if I stated anything wrong.
Contact the individual insurance companies to see if they are accepting new providers. If so, ask for an application. Good luck.
 
Ben Chudner said:
Contact the individual insurance companies to see if they are accepting new providers. If so, ask for an application. Good luck.


Thanks for the info Dr. Chudner
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ryan_eyeball said:
HI

I was wondering if some of the current docs knew how easy it is to get on medical insurance programs as an independent doctor of optometry. I know some states recognize us now as "Optometric physician", and is easy to get on medical insurance plans.

Do i just call up insurance companies like Blue Cross/Shield, UHC, Aetna, etc in the particular state that I want to practice or should I contact the state board. I would just like someone else's feedback.

Sorry if I stated anything wrong.

What state are you located in?
 
remember that as an independent doctor of optometry, no matter where you practice, you are responsible for setting your own fees - not the "store" or "shop" that you work in. so if you want to do exams for what you think youre worth, id change it.
(see: fee-splitting )

😉
 
Ryan_eyeball said:
I'm returning to the state of Kansas, and I'm also getting my Arizona state license.

The few people that I know in KS have had GOOD luck getting on medical plans. What you need to do is find out what the top 5 medical plans are in the area you want to practice and phone up their provider relations department request an application.

The few people that I know in arizona have had BAD luck getting on medical plans, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Also, the whole "independent doctor of optometry" deal applies to private practices as well. Don't let a private doctor screw you with the independent contractor crap. Ask for what you're worth.