Creighton Interview Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm from the east coast and I've recently been invited for an interview at Creighton out in Nebraska. I applied there thinking it was fairly well known and it seemed to have the same philosophy as mine with regards to medicine (though one big difference of philosophy is that I'm not religious at all and they're apparently Jesuit-- oops :) ). The thing is that I've been accepted to a school closer to home: Temple. Everyone I talk to seems to think that Temple is so much better for me (ie closer to home so I could monetarily mooch off the 'rents to save on costs, it has better patient exposure in the city, and they seem to think that it's much more known reputation-wise as well-- though that could be because Temple is a local school etc). My question for you is whether or not you think that the interview at Creighton will be worth it anymore (factoring in the cost of flying out there etc). How would you guys compare these two schools? I've interviewed at three other schools with one more coming up in March, not to mention tons of schools I haven't even heard from, so it's not as though I'd be rejecting my one other interview either way. I'm just so confused!!! Help! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a student here at Creighton. I would be more than happy to answer any questions people might have about CUSOM. I personally love it here. I have had extensive experience in research and medical informatics at other highly ranked medical schools, and I will say that after experiencing Creighton, I would never consider a different school. I think that the students and their attitudes are exactly what attracted me to Creighton. By far the best part of Creighton is the focus of eliminating the Cut-Throat, Competitive attitudes that so many Pre-Meds are selected for. When you check in to Creighton, you check that attitude at the door. The classes and grading system are designed to maximize interaction between students as well as between students and faculty. The school is not research oriented per-se, but does have some cutting edge research going on. Most prominent are the Osteoporosis science and clinical research programs (recently patented a high bone mass gene), cancer research center, human development and embryology research, virology, and much more. The faculty that teach us are excellent, and are extremely approachable; many offer to come in on the weekends before exams and hold several extra Q&As. The focus is definitely on preparing us for Boards and more importantly, to be excellent clinicians. There are two spots for MD/PhDs per year I believe, so if that is your aim, you might look elsewhere. However, if you are wanting a medical school that will prepare you as a highly skilled and sought after clinician (for both residencies and post residency), then Creighton is definitely a school you should consider. Omaha is in the middle of the country, and this was one factor that detracted me from Creighton. I am from the Pacific Northwest, and very much enjoy the water, mountains, trees, and outdoor activities. I will say that being in Nebraska has not been as bad as I originally expected, as the class gets together to do tons of social activities. We also try to get out at some of the state parks for Mtn. Biking and hiking. Omaha has a great performing arts community with excellent stage productions, opera, and symphony. Many of us enjoy these, as well as hanging out at the bar, going to movies, going to the zoo (Henry Doorly Zoo is very nice, with a sweet Aquarium and Rain Forest exhibit), ice skating, Intramural Sports, and community service projects. These, coupled with the studying that we do keeps us plenty busy. I would say that Omaha is a great city for going to Med school simply because there aren't all the distractions around as in New York, San Fran, Seattle, or Chicago. We do occasionally go on trips to Chicago, Kansas City, or Denver, which are great cities for a study break. The cost of living in Omaha is much more affordable than could be expected in other metro cities; I actually bought a house for the 4 years that I plan on being out here. Finally, while Creighton is indeed a Jesuit school, there is absolutely no Religious pressure on any of the students. I am not religious at all actually. If you are of a different religion, there are services on the lower level of the church for those faiths (almost every faith imaginable).

Come out and visit us. I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the experience - I know I was when I came to interview here. It changed my mind from attending a different school.