Creighton University SOD vs University of Minnesota SOD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerSmiles

Reaction score
I had the privilege of being accepted to both Creighton University SOD and University of Minnesota SOD. Both schools are out of state as I am a resident of South Dakota. I would be able to get in-state tuition at Minnesota due to reciprocity with South Dakota.

I am currently torn between the two and want to layout the pros and cons I have recognized from both schools.

The cost of school is what I am most heavily prioritizing. I would love to go into military and do a HPSP scholarship, unfortunately, I am type 1 diabetic so I am disqualified for anything military related. This makes the financials behind school much more important to me.

Creighton Pros:
- Amazing clinicals. From what I understand and have heard, this is something I should be prioritizing in a school.
- No specialty programs- I will have many cases such as extractions and RCTs that will not be prioritized to specialty
- I felt like I fit in pretty well both during my interview and on my tour.
- The Nebraska / Omaha region felt a little more like home and a better environment to foster success.

Creighton Cons:
- High tuition cost (heavily prioritized)
- Not much of a research program (but I doubt id be super interested in research anyways)

Minnesota Pros
- I would get in state tuition
- I really liked the staff and faculty. I also felt like they asked detailed and valuable questions during my interview which reflects their desire for students / my success.
- Decent research program?

Minnesota Cons
- Minneapolis felt foreign to me and I am not sure how well I fit in. I felt like I was in Gotham City.
- Living expenses are much higher
- A tad further from home

Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the privilege of being accepted to both Creighton University SOD and University of Minnesota SOD. Both schools are out of state as I am a resident of South Dakota. I would be able to get in-state tuition at Minnesota due to reciprocity with South Dakota.

I am currently torn between the two and want to layout the pros and cons I have recognized from both schools.

The cost of school is what I am most heavily prioritizing. I would love to go into military and do a HPSP scholarship, unfortunately, I am type 1 diabetic so I am disqualified for anything military related. This makes the financials behind school much more important to me.

Creighton Pros:
- Amazing clinicals. From what I understand and have heard, this is something I should be prioritizing in a school.
- No specialty programs- I will have many cases such as extractions and RCTs that will not be prioritized to specialty
- I felt like I fit in pretty well both during my interview and on my tour.
- The Nebraska / Omaha region felt a little more like home and a better environment to foster success.

Creighton Cons:
- High tuition cost (heavily prioritized)
- Not much of a research program (but I doubt id be super interested in research anyways)

Minnesota Pros
- I would get in state tuition
- I really liked the staff and faculty. I also felt like they asked detailed and valuable questions during my interview which reflects their desire for students / my success.
- Decent research program?

Minnesota Cons
- Minneapolis felt foreign to me and I am not sure how well I fit in. I felt like I was in Gotham City.
- Living expenses are much higher
- A tad further from home

Please let me know your thoughts!
cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
How much more would it cost to go to creighton over MN? I think you would enjoy Creighton a lot more.

In-state at MN will cost you around $400kish from what I understand, not sure about Creighton

Considering I was between UMN and Creighton, I’m so happy I chose MN. Minneapolis is way better than Omaha and there’s so many opportunities available. Which ever school you choose, it will be just fine. But UMN will open more opportunities available if you want to specialize but if you want to be a GP, Creighton will be a solid education.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you consider NHSC? Any possibility of a Creighton scholarship to reduce your tuition to be comparable to Minnesota?
Thank you for the reply, Creighton does not give out scholarships until D2 year. Regarding those scholarships, I am not sure the amount they give out or how much of tuition the scholarships cover. I was going to call and ask; however, they are closed for the holidays.

I did not actually know about NHSC until you replied. It would be something I would consider; however, from what I've seen it does not cover as much of schooling and is more competitive. I am having trouble finding more information regarding this for dental. What are your thoughts on NHSC?

How much more would it cost to go to creighton over MN? I think you would enjoy Creighton a lot more.

In-state at MN will cost you around $400kish from what I understand, not sure about Creighton
It would cost me ATLEAST $100k more. Possibly even 200k+. The interest rates are absurdly high right now which also is a big burden to bear. Im going to make a spreadsheet over this weekend so I know the exact figures, but that is a ballpark estimate.

Reactions: 1 users
Considering I was between UMN and Creighton, I’m so happy I chose MN. Minneapolis is way better than Omaha and there’s so many opportunities available. Which ever school you choose, it will be just fine. But UMN will open more opportunities available if you want to specialize but if you want to be a GP, Creighton will be a solid education.
Thanks for replying! A couple questions:

From what you have seen / heard do you feel like clinicals at MN prepare students well? What are some words you would use to describe the atmosphere / vibe of the students / school / faculty? What do you do with the leisure time you get? Do you know the requirements for extractions and root canals? And do you mind telling me what state you are / were a resident of at the time you got accepted?

Thanks for replying! A couple questions:

From what you have seen / heard do you feel like clinicals at MN prepare students well? What are some words you would use to describe the atmosphere / vibe of the students / school / faculty? What do you do with the leisure time you get? Do you know the requirements for extractions and root canals? And do you mind telling me what state you are / were a resident of at the time you got accepted?

Most D4s I’ve asked have said they feel competent for graduation. But you also make the most of it. You could do the minimum work or seek more if you want to.

Words to describe: welcoming, warm, caring, collaborative. The school is great, everyone is incredible.

We go out and hangout with friends, we play volleyball during the week at the rec, we organize events (Halloween scary movie party) and other things. Minneapolis has so much to offer so being so close to the city is great. However class dynamics are all year dependent. It’s what you make of it. My class has focused on collaboration and making sure everyone feels included. We do a lot of fun things together.

I do not know the requirements. But it isn’t much compared to Creighton. I do know that, maybe 2 RCTs

I’m a MN resident.

Reactions: 1 user