Creighton vs. Marquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinoTeeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got in at Creighton Dec. 1. Was waitlisted at Marquette and NYU. Then on Jan 24, I got in at Marquette. I would still love to get in at NYU as it will be closer to my boyfriend in Hartford and I am currently on the east coast and like it here.
I had my mind made up that I liked and was going to Creighton, but now I don't know. I went to Creighton for undergrad. The schools seem really similar to me, but I wonder if that is just my opinion having already been at Creighton. I don't want to end up paying two+ deposits and holding places at schools since that's really not fair to the schools or other applicants.
I'd say they are comparable with regard to location Omaha= cold and in the midwest, Milwaukee= colder but closer to Chicago. Cost wise Creighton is cheaper, but not really by enough to be a factor. I'm thinking both schools are similar with regard to clinical exposure and education, they're both even Jesuit (though Marquette's dental school is really more of a state school than a Jesuit school). So basically I'm wondering what different people's opinions are of these two schools.
Any input anyone could offer would be appreciated.
Thanks bunches :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

well I personally would kill to go to Marquette (i'm from Chicago so its a good fit for me..plus its jesuit which is what my undergrad was)..it is and always has been my first choice, but since I haven't gotten in yet I dont think it'll happen. right now I'm in at NYU and Detroit-Mercy. If you went to Creighton and didn't like it then obviously you have to think twice about it...but I loved both Creighton and Marquette and am hoping to get in at least one of those places, so you can't go wrong either way. as far as NYU goes, keep your head up and even call and ask whats up. I know they are waiting until march to review the waitlist and being that its a big school there will most definitely be spots. But if it comes down to Creighton vs Marquette...for me it's marquette, but its hard to overlook Creighton's lack of specialty programs which allow students to do ALL the procedures. Something to consider.

Thanks for your opinion. If only we could swap and you could have my seat at Marquette and I could take yours at NYU :) I did like Creighton as an undergrad, I think I've just gotten spoiled about weather having not been in the midwest for a couple years now, so really none of my options are that appealing climate-wise. Oh well, I'll be spending most of my time in a 70' library anyway. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that would be great to switch spots haha. I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy to attend NYU. I really liked the school and really think they are moving away from the problems they have had in years past. I think they give you a lot of opportunity that you can't get many other places. That being said, i'd still love to go to Marquette..simply b/c it's so close to my family and that's something that's important to me. Whatever you choose you will be in a good spot. All of those schools...marquette, creighton..and NYU...all good places to shoot for/have acceptances at. best of luck to you!!

Marquette hands down, great clinical school, also Jesuit. I don't know much about Creighton except they are Jesuit and have a good law school.
Jesuits are liberal and the school is state subsidized so the church presence isn' t very obvious.
Milwaukee cool town an hour away from Chicago(Awsome city)
Omaha cool town an hour away from corn fields.
Milwaukee is very affordable, lots of music and culture.

Dude there is a reason they get 3600+ apps every year.

Oh and I will be attending.

Marquette hands down, great clinical school, also Jesuit. I don't know much about Creighton except they are Jesuit and have a good law school.
Jesuits are liberal and the school is state subsidized so the church presence isn' t very obvious.
Milwaukee cool town an hour away from Chicago(Awsome city)
Omaha cool town an hour away from corn fields.
Milwaukee is very affordable, lots of music and culture.

Dude there is a reason they get 3600+ apps every year.

Oh and I will be attending.

My $0.02

Everything you said about Marquette could said about Creighton as well, minus being close to Chicago. I don't know if Marquette has anything similar, but Creighton has the ILAC program for their dental students, where you can travel down to the Dominican Republic, work on the underprivileged there and earn credit for your junior(?) year.
Omaha also has the highest number of restaurants per capita, a thriving underground music scene, some surprisingly good dance clubs, and is developing quickly.
And I will be attending Creighton ;)

My $0.02

Everything you said about Marquette could said about Creighton as well, minus being close to Chicago. I don't know if Marquette has anything similar, but Creighton has the ILAC program for their dental students, where you can travel down to the Dominican Republic, work on the underprivileged there and earn credit for your junior(?) year.
Omaha also has the highest number of restaurants per capita, a thriving underground music scene, some surprisingly good dance clubs, and is developing quickly.
And I will be attending Creighton ;)

I don't know many details, but MU does take dentists down to Jamaica in a program that sounds similar to Creighton's ILAC program. Thought you might want to know about that.

-Ryan
MU '11

Totally didn't know they went to Jamaica. That's really awesome that Marquette does a service program.. glad that it's not just Creighton.

I don't know many details, but MU does take dentists down to Jamaica in a program that sounds similar to Creighton's ILAC program. Thought you might want to know about that.

-Ryan
MU '11

They also have the Urban and Rural Outreach. Its not Jamaica or the D.R. but rural communities are in need.

Does anyone know how the two compare academically? Since they are both Jesuit universities, that kinda means they will have a lot of service opportunities. And dancedance, I was supposed to go to the DR until my dad vetoed it due to political unrest at the time (he was going to go down with me). Oh, and watching the video where the girl talks about a huge spider crawling on her bed, not for me. I will most definitely be doing service while in dental school and after graduation, but I don't do giant spiders. Sorry for the tangent.

Does anyone know how the two compare academically? Since they are both Jesuit universities, that kinda means they will have a lot of service opportunities. And dancedance, I was supposed to go to the DR until my dad vetoed it due to political unrest at the time (he was going to go down with me). Oh, and watching the video where the girl talks about a huge spider crawling on her bed, not for me. I will most definitely be doing service while in dental school and after graduation, but I don't do giant spiders. Sorry for the tangent.

For that kind of info, you might want to check out www.predents.com (if you haven't seen this already)...students in the application process can voluntarily provide info on grades, so it give you a sense by seeing who's getting accepted and who's not...granted you're only seeing stats from those who offer it up.