Creighton vs. Wayne State SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivers0999

Reaction score
Out of state for Wayne State, so cost of tuition is comparable for both. I'm a non-traditional student looking for input on whether people feel strongly about either school particularly with the changes to USMLE Step 1. Does anyone have average STEP scores for these schools to compare?!

CREIGHTON SOM
Pros: Smaller class size, supportive admin, safe area/cheap cost of living, possibly better name recognition, lots of opportunities for service & global health
Cons: Omaha, seemingly worse on research, no family in the area, less diversity in class size and in patient population

WAYNE STATE SOM
Pros: Super experiential, diverse patient population to serve, in a "real" city, family in the area, larger alumni network
Cons: Bigger class size (~300), complaints on administration not being as responsive, less name recognition outside Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Both similarly ranked by residency directors. Both same $. Personally if I was making the decision, I’ll look at location, overall fit, and home residency programs

I had a friend who interviewed at Creighton and he said it was basically in the middle of farm lands. Assuming that’s somewhat true, are you ok with being there for 4 years?

I had a friend who interviewed at Creighton and he said it was basically in the middle of farm lands. Assuming that’s somewhat true, are you ok with being there for 4 years?
The Creighton campus is a 5 minute drive from downtown Omaha. The city of Omaha has a population of almost 500,000 and the metropolitan area is just shy of 1,000,000. You may or may not like Omaha, but the city proper is not farmland.

Reactions: 4 users
Passing this on from a wayne m4 who matched to a good spot and is happy, but worked extremely hard and encountered plenty of resistance, "less name recognition outside Michigan " is a definite truth when it comes to residency application, especially in competitive fields. IF you want to do EM Peds IM FM radiology thats easy, Wayne will get you there, but so will Creighton.

administration not being as responsive also a definite truth. also very weak administration in terms of guidance, if you let them guide you without doing your own deep resesarch, you're going to have a bad time. Well meaning, but weak.

Also very rocky relationsship with hospital rotations sites and as follows, residencies in the past years, and does not look like it will improve with new schools in the area like Central Michigan and MSU COM (osteopathic) eating up potential sites.