Creighton Web Based Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxMom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is waiting for their letter, I received an acceptance letter today. I interviewed on April 21st. The only problem is they have an issue with my speech class. I have the same issue at every school I attend. It always gets worked out so hopefully the same happens here. Anyone else heard yet?

Members don't see this ad.

RxMom said:
In case anyone is waiting for their letter, I received an acceptance letter today. I interviewed on April 21st. The only problem is they have an issue with my speech class. I have the same issue at every school I attend. It always gets worked out so hopefully the same happens here. Anyone else heard yet?

Congratulations! I received my acceptance today as well....hope to see you at the end of July!!

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! Still trying to decide what I will do though!
Congrats to you both!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance letter yesterday as well!! I'll see you all this summer!!! :D

What is the "issue" they had with it? OU had an issue with my english classes from out-of-state being named something other than English I/English II. So I just sent them a copy of the course discription and then they accepted it.

comopharm said:
I got my acceptance letter yesterday! Still trying to decide what I will do though!
Congrats to you both!

I read in another post that the other school you have been accepted to is a 5-year program (is that also true for those who already have a bachelor's degree?). I was also accepted to both schools that I applied to (thank God) but the choice was a no-brainer for me because the other school is facing accredidation issues. I guess you have to think about 4 vs. 5 years before you will finish. The downside with Creighton is that it is VERY expensive but I am hoping to work part-time to help my husband with the bills since I won't have the 2+ hour commute (each way) that I would have had if I had accepted the other school's offer.

I know that it feels great to have options...good luck with whatever choice you make.

DownonthePharm said:
What is the "issue" they had with it? OU had an issue with my english classes from out-of-state being named something other than English I/English II. So I just sent them a copy of the course discription and then they accepted it.

The other school I was accepted to had an issue with my English II course because I placed out of it through an AP exam that I took in high school (I did receive college credit for the course). They were going to make me take the English course this summer in order to be fully accepted into their program. I tried to argue with them that both my undergrad and grad schools had accepted the credits with no problems but this school would not budge. Thank God that I got into Creighton who accepted the credits no questions asked and I will not have to sit in an English class this summer!

My decision is hard for several reasons. Of course having to go for 5 years is definitely a drag, especially because I already have by bachelors in biology....but for 5 years and in-state for me, it turns out to still be 30,000 dollars cheaper.
My major dilemma is deciding which way of learning would be better for me. I know that I would be fine learning with the web-based pathway, but I still think being able to go to class would be good. Either school would be distance learning I guess....I was accepted to UMKC's satellite program at Mizzou.
My husband likes the idea of me getting out of the house to go to class and thinks emotionally I would be happier, which is probably true.
I feel really lucky to have been accepted into both programs..now its decision time!

comopharm said:
My decision is hard for several reasons. Of course having to go for 5 years is definitely a drag, especially because I already have by bachelors in biology....but for 5 years and in-state for me, it turns out to still be 30,000 dollars cheaper.
My major dilemma is deciding which way of learning would be better for me. I know that I would be fine learning with the web-based pathway, but I still think being able to go to class would be good. Either school would be distance learning I guess....I was accepted to UMKC's satellite program at Mizzou.
My husband likes the idea of me getting out of the house to go to class and thinks emotionally I would be happier, which is probably true.
I feel really lucky to have been accepted into both programs..now its decision time!

I see your point with the in-state tuition but also think about it from the perspective of even though you would be paying 30,000 more to attend Creighton, you will be done in four years versus five and will likely be making a really nice salary one year sooner so in some ways that 30K will be offset by beginning work (and getting paid) a year sooner. I guess for me I would choose getting out of school sooner because my husband and I have kind of been putting off starting a family until I finish school and I am over thirty so I can hear my clock ticking with each year we hold off on starting a family. :laugh:

My husband also wonders how I will deal with being at home all the time versus having to go to class but I guess for me, I am at a different place in my life and feel that I am ready to embark on a more non-traditional way of learning (I have an undergraduate and graduate degree and post-graduate coursework as part of my background so I have experienced many years of traditional classroom learning). I guess in some ways I will miss the traditional classroom setting but I think that the web-based program will work out best for my husband and I in that he will be finishing graduate school next month (ironically through a web-based program that he has been in for the past four years) and this will give us the flexibility to move out of state should he land a job in his field somewhere else.

I was accepted into a traditional program for pharmacy school and there are many reasons why I am choosing Creighton's web-based program including the fact that the traditional program is not really close to where I live so I would be facing at least a 2 hour commute (on a good traffic day) each way just to get to and from school. That wouldn't be a good situation for me, especially with 8am classes. That would also limit my ability to work part time because I would be sitting in traffic for at least 4 hours each day.

It seems like you would be happier at UMKC so I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons of both programs and decide what is best for you and your family.

DownonthePharm said:

Every school I've gone to initially doesn't accept my speech class from many moons ago. I think the course description was very poorly written so it didn't seem as though you actually gave a speech. In the end they all accept the class. And so did Creighton as I found out today. So problem solved, I'll be attending Creighton.

RxMom said:
Every school I've gone to initially doesn't accept my speech class from many moons ago. I think the course description was very poorly written so it didn't seem as though you actually gave a speech. In the end they all accept the class. And so did Creighton as I found out today. So problem solved, I'll be attending Creighton.

I got accepted into Creighton's web based program too. I never took speech so now I have to take it this summer but I hope to see you all at the end of July.

I will possibly appy to Creighton web-base school. Just curious what your stats were for those that got accepted? GPA, bachelors degree, etc.thanks!

moving post to main board

Members don't see this ad :)
missnikki said:
I will possibly appy to Creighton web-base school. Just curious what your stats were for those that got accepted? GPA, bachelors degree, etc.thanks!

Hi missnikki! I was just recently accepted into CU's web-based program. I have a B.S. in Cytotechnology (basically a specialized Biology degree) and have a 3.43 cum GPA. I worked as a pharmacy tech for 6 years while attending college. Basically, CU prefers someone who has pharmacy experience, did well academically, and who has been in the workforce for a while. They also look to see how much computer experience you have. Good luck! I hope this helps!!

missnikki said:
3.8, 98 PCAT, 6 years of tech experience, BA in chemistry, MS in chemistry

Not surprisingly, I am a bit older than the average applicant :laugh:

missnikki said:

I am just finishing up my second year in Creighton's web-based pathway. I did not have any experience working in a pharmacy when I applied. I did have 3 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. There were also quite a few people in my class who did not have any pharmacy experience when they applied and they were obviously excepted. I have a BS and MS degrees. Most people in my class have BS/BA degree. I did have to take speech, english, and economics courses in order to be enrolled. I got accepted in January so I had time to complete the necessary credits. They accepted credits from a local community college (so not too expensive) where I took these classes the spring/summer prior to starting my P1 year.

If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer. Just PM me. :)

monet2008 said:
I am just finishing up my second year in Creighton's web-based pathway. I did not have any experience working in a pharmacy when I applied. I did have 3 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. There were also quite a few people in my class who did not have any pharmacy experience when they applied and they were obviously excepted. I have a BS and MS degrees. Most people in my class have BS/BA degree. I did have to take speech, english, and economics courses in order to be enrolled. I got accepted in January so I had time to complete the necessary credits. They accepted credits from a local community college (so not too expensive) where I took these classes the spring/summer prior to starting my P1 year.

If anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer. Just PM me. :)

:thumbup: Oh, I so appreciate people like you! I just jumped in on this conversation so i hope I'm not intruding, but could everyone who's accepted in the web-based program please expand on a little more about themselves and circumstances-along with all the stats ? Why do you think Creighton chose you?? I thought about PM you, however I'd like to get the most info I can. Thanks :D

PharmMom3 said:
:thumbup: Oh, I so appreciate people like you! I just jumped in on this conversation so i hope I'm not intruding, but could everyone who's accepted in the web-based program please expand on a little more about themselves and circumstances-along with all the stats ? Why do you think Creighton chose you?? I thought about PM you, however I'd like to get the most info I can. Thanks :D

Hi PharmMom3

I was accepted into the web-based program for the fall and a major reason why I became interested in Creighton's program was due to my inability to relocate for pharmacy school. I am married, my husband and I have a house and he is working on a degree that is being paid for by his company. If we were to move and he was to quit his job in order for us to move, then he would have to pay back the entire tuition amount. Also the two of us living in separate states was NOT a great option according to hubby (we discussed this at length and decided that it wasn't a good idea). So as you can see, moving for pharmacy school was not really possible and because of Creighton's web-based program, I don't have to.

It is hard for me to explain why Creighton chose me because to be honest, I was shocked when they accepted me. Not to say that my grades aren't good but pretty much everyone I have spoken to who applied or were interviewed by Creighton had pretty good stats. I truly think that Creighton looks at the person as a whole and doesn't treat them like a set of "cut-off stats." The things that may have set me apart from other candidates could have been my years working in the health field, particularly with minority communities and the underserved. I did not have any pharmacy-specific experience when I applied.

mph2pharm said:
Hi PharmMom3

I was accepted into the web-based program for the fall and a major reason why I became interested in Creighton's program was due to my inability to relocate for pharmacy school. I am married, my husband and I have a house and he is working on a degree that is being paid for by his company. If we were to move and he was to quit his job in order for us to move, then he would have to pay back the entire tuition amount. Also the two of us living in separate states was NOT a great option according to hubby (we discussed this at length and decided that it wasn't a good idea). So as you can see, moving for pharmacy school was not really possible and because of Creighton's web-based program, I don't have to.
QUOTE]

I can completely relate to your situation! I am married, a mother of 3 little girls 6,4,2 , :love: :love: :love: own a house, etc... We are established. I really want to attend Pharmacy school. Currently I have my BA degree and have worked for the last 7 years. I want to go back to school and am planning on taking my pre-req. in the next couple years at a community college. The only way I can really attend school is through Creighton's Web program. :thumbup: Same as you ;) I have contacted Creighton and have researched the University. I'm afraid of going through all this work and not getting accepted. Is Creighton the only Pharmacy school you applied to? Any info is greatly appreciated.Thanks :D

I can completely relate to your situation! I am married, a mother of 3 little girls 6,4,2 , :love: :love: :love: own a house, etc... We are established. I really want to attend Pharmacy school. Currently I have my BA degree and have worked for the last 7 years. I want to go back to school and am planning on taking my pre-req. in the next couple years at a community college. The only way I can really attend school is through Creighton's Web program. :thumbup: Same as you ;) I have contacted Creighton and have researched the University. I'm afraid of going through all this work and not getting accepted. Is Creighton the only Pharmacy school you applied to? Any info is greatly appreciated.Thanks :D
[/QUOTE]

I don't have three little ones (actually no little ones) but I do understand some of the challenges we face being older, working adults with family committments, etc. and trying to now tackle something like a 4-year professional degree. Getting into Creighton was such a blessing for me and my husband for the reasons I have already mentioned. You say that you are afraid of going through all of this work and not getting accepted, but the flip side is that you go through all of that work and you GET ACCEPTED. Creighton is not any easy school to get into at all from what I have seen (nowadays all pharmacy schools are pretty hard to get into). What makes the web-based program so competitive is that it is the only one in the country so many students in situations like ours are all hoping to get into this one program that only accepts 55 students. I wasn't expecting to get in but I did and the same could happen for you too!

Regarding your question about how many schools I applied to, I only applied to two and I was fortunate to get into both. I declined the offer at the other school even before I knew that I had gotten into Creighton because I came to realize that Creighton was where I wanted to be and if I didn't get in this year then I would try again next year.

mph2pharm said:

I don't have three little ones (actually no little ones) but I do understand some of the challenges we face being older, working adults with family committments, etc. and trying to now tackle something like a 4-year professional degree. Getting into Creighton was such a blessing for me and my husband for the reasons I have already mentioned. You say that you are afraid of going through all of this work and not getting accepted, but the flip side is that you go through all of that work and you GET ACCEPTED. Creighton is not any easy school to get into at all from what I have seen (nowadays all pharmacy schools are pretty hard to get into). What makes the web-based program so competitive is that it is the only one in the country so many students in situations like ours are all hoping to get into this one program that only accepts 55 students. I wasn't expecting to get in but I did and the same could happen for you too!

Regarding your question about how many schools I applied to, I only applied to two and I was fortunate to get into both. I declined the offer at the other school even before I knew that I had gotten into Creighton because I came to realize that Creighton was where I wanted to be and if I didn't get in this year then I would try again next year.[/QUOTE]

I'm definately staying positive about this and I WANT to be a pharmicist so I'm going for it! If nothing else at least I'm more educated- :clap: The one thing that concerns me is my husband reaction. It's not easy for us to make end meet now financially (we both work) and we'd have to sacrifice alot (which I'm willing to do) He's really concerned about this. Which I understand his worry too. But you can't live you're life always wondering, otherwise you never get anywhere, right! So I'm not just going to school for me but also for my entire family. :wow: It's trying to get him to look at the future and not just the present. Give me luck. I will definately give it my all and see what happens.
Future GPA 4.0 Pcat-off the charts!! Personal Statement Outstanding :smuggrin: he he he he You're right, what if I DO GET ACCEPTED! Woohoo :clap: Afterall, who could resist me? (I've been in dreamland that last statement)
Really thanks alot for encouraging me and reminding me we all have an equal chance-it's just those who are brave enough to really go for it. Any other comments are welcome.

I wish you the best and I am sure that you will reach your goal. I will say that at least for me, I would not have entertained the option of going back to school full-time if I didn't have my husband's support. Although he never lets on to it, I know that my husband has concerns about me making a 4-year commitment to school and not working full time, but he also understands that this is a means to an end and that this will put us in a much better position in the future. He also doesn't want me to regret him for the rest of my life because he was the road block to me reaching my dreams. I hope that your husband will see the value in what you are wanting to do because I believe that it will make your transition a whole lot smoother.

I'm definately staying positive about this and I WANT to be a pharmicist so I'm going for it! If nothing else at least I'm more educated- :clap: The one thing that concerns me is my husband reaction. It's not easy for us to make end meet now financially (we both work) and we'd have to sacrifice alot (which I'm willing to do) He's really concerned about this. Which I understand his worry too. But you can't live you're life always wondering, otherwise you never get anywhere, right! So I'm not just going to school for me but also for my entire family. :wow: It's trying to get him to look at the future and not just the present. Give me luck. I will definately give it my all and see what happens.
Future GPA 4.0 Pcat-off the charts!! Personal Statement Outstanding :smuggrin: he he he he You're right, what if I DO GET ACCEPTED! Woohoo :clap: Afterall, who could resist me? (I've been in dreamland that last statement)
Really thanks alot for encouraging me and reminding me we all have an equal chance-it's just those who are brave enough to really go for it. Any other comments are welcome.
[/QUOTE]

Hi PharmMom3

Here's something to think about ---- Short term sacrifices for long term benefits.

This is the motto my husband and I live by right now. We are both in school full-time (I am a P3 Creighton web-based; he is in med school). I know the school is on the more expensive side but what school isn't these days. You could always take out extra student loans to try and "make ends meet". I know it isn't ideal but it will get you to where you want to be -- a pharmacist.

I only applied to Creighton and got in my first attempt so you won't know unless you try. Best wishes and always keep your eye on the prize!

PharmMom3 said:

Regarding your question about how many schools I applied to, I only applied to two and I was fortunate to get into both. I declined the offer at the other school even before I knew that I had gotten into Creighton because I came to realize that Creighton was where I wanted to be and if I didn't get in this year then I would try again next year.

[/QUOTE

I just want to say...don't give up!! I just got accepted into Creighton's web-based program this year as well. This was my 3rd time applying. The first time I applied, I was an alternate, but did not get in (PCAT was not required then). The second time, my PCAT scores were not high enough. I re-took the PCAT and did considerably better and was finally accepted. So, you can see it is tough to get in, but with determination, it can be done.

I like most in the web-based program am not able to re-locate, so CU was my only option. I am married, have 2 children (ages 3 1/2 and 21 mos), just built a home, etc. My husband has worked for UPS for 14 yrs now and cannot re-locate without losing seniority and waited 11 yrs just to go driving. Becoming a pharmacist is something I have always had a desire to do and when I stumbled across CU's web-based program, I became hopeful that there may be a chance to fulfil my dream.

My husband also is and was fearful about the amount of $$ needed to go to pharm school. I think I have finally convinced him that this is what I want to do. We have had to compromise a great deal though. I realize I still have to work 3-4 days a week to afford our new home, cars, etc. It will be tough, but I have my parents support (watching kids, etc.). My husband takes care of all the bills, etc. and so he is aware of our $ situation more than I am. But, like I said, he supports my decision now and I am thankful for that. I just hope he continues to do so.

I wish you luck with applying and getting your husband's support! If this is something you desire to do, then go for it. Eventually, he will understand. Just work on getting accepted first. That's what I did! Good luck!!! :D

Thanks for all your support! My husband is starting to come around about this. Looking at the future and not just the present is so important. I keep reminding him that the sacrifices today will benefit us tomorrow. Not just my own schooling, but my children will witness to the importance of education when they see their mother studying and hopefully that will be instilled in them. The money does concern me alot to, however if school loans are available that can help us and I also can work part time at my current job to help keep the debt down. I'm so excited I just want to start school. My husband and I have decided that this year I'm going to start slow with a math class at night-next spring take a couple classes, then next fall start class fulltime with bio, chem, etc... That way my 2 older girls will be in school fulltime and the little one in pre-school. Because I can't financially do it with a daycare bill of $200/week. and not working if I'm in school. I'm really bummed about that, however I'm being responsible. Also I don't want to overload with school, home,etc... I want to make sure I get the A's that I want :cool: That gives me the best possible chance to make it! I just want to say Creighton, don't forget me, I'll be comming BABY! :laugh:

What do you think of the workload in pharm school compared to the pre-req. It know it's probably more workload, but are the classes harder?
Thanks!!!!!!

I have been enjoying reading the posts. I do have a question. If you recieve your pharmacy degree online or web based then how does that effect getting your license in your specific state. I was told at my university that you had to attend one of the universities in my state to be liceensed. Is this true?