Creighton's laptops??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytogal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending the orientation in July for CU's Pharm D program and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the laptops we will be issued. Do they have a wireless card built in them? Will we get a case/packpack to put it in or do we need to purchase that separately?

Members don't see this ad.

cytogal said:
I will be attending the orientation in July for CU's Pharm D program and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the laptops we will be issued. Do they have a wireless card built in them? Will we get a case/packpack to put it in or do we need to purchase that separately?

Hey I emailed the [email protected] and asked about the laptops. THe response: "I have a Dell lattitude D810. But I heard they might be getting tablet style next year. Of course, they thought about doing that for us too. I would suspect that you will be getting a Dell similar to mine. you can contact [email protected] for that info."

You have to get your own laptop case, although a few people just get a padded sleeve and use the bags they gave us when we interviewed. Hope it helps!

klebsiella said:
Hey I emailed the [email protected] and asked about the laptops. THe response: "I have a Dell lattitude D810. But I heard they might be getting tablet style next year. Of course, they thought about doing that for us too. I would suspect that you will be getting a Dell similar to mine. you can contact [email protected] for that info."

You have to get your own laptop case, although a few people just get a padded sleeve and use the bags they gave us when we interviewed. Hope it helps!

Thanks...that helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
At my inteview on April 7th the web-based student who spoke to us showed us her laptop (she was a 4th year) and it was indeed a Dell. She was really pleased with the quality of the laptops that they give the students and she stated over and over again how great the tech support has been. A tablet style would be nice...I wonder how much that thing will end up costing us?

Btw...is anyone planning on buying a color laser printer as they suggested. I checked out the prices this weekend and those printers are pretty pricey!

they give each class backpacks that are ginormous and supposed to fit our laptops in addition to all our other crap. online they had discounted prices for undergrads to buy an ibm thinkpad or a tablet, so i was kinda figuring it would be one of those. at my interview they made a big deal out of how wireless campus was so i'm guessing they have built in wireless cards, but the students suggested that when we take our tests to plug into the network manually. i havent heard anything about suggesting we get a color laser printer....i just got a printer/scanner/copier in november so i definitely won't be buying a new printer!

Hey ginephre,

When the web-based student spoke to us during the interview session she suggested buying a color laser printer. I guess this is due to the volume of information that we will need to print off. I also just looked on the Creighton web-page under "technology requirements" and they do suggest (as an option) that we buy a color laser jet printer:

http://pharmacy.creighton.edu/newpharmacyVer2/pharmacy/EntrypharmacywebTechRequirements.asp

I am with you though, I also just bought an inkjet printer/copier/scanner/fax last year so I definitely don't want to have to buy another printer.

If you are printing a large volume of papers a laser printer will hold up much better, be faster, and cheaper cost per page than an ink jet. Try ebay or watch your CompUSA, Circuit City, Office Depot ads.

hmm, maybe they suggest that for web-based students... because you aren't on campus to just print stuff off from the computer labs printers.

ginephre said:
they give each class backpacks that are ginormous and supposed to fit our laptops in addition to all our other crap.

Do we get this at orientation? Also where did you find the info about the discount on computers? My little sister is off to college and it would be a great present for her!

the website where i was looking for info on the laptops and came across the discounted laptops was http://www.creighton.edu/doit but i cant remember exactly where on that website. i think we get the backpacks at orientation. one of the students said it was funny because each class' backpacks are a little different, so you can always tell who the "freshmen" are!

ginephre said:
the website where i was looking for info on the laptops and came across the discounted laptops was http://www.creighton.edu/doit but i cant remember exactly where on that website. i think we get the backpacks at orientation. one of the students said it was funny because each class' backpacks are a little different, so you can always tell who the "freshmen" are!

Thanks! Since you are also going to be campus based.....off topic.... are you getting excited? I have been looking for apartments online for the past week (instead of studying for my final :laugh: ) When do you think you wil be moving to Omaha?

ginephre said:
hmm, maybe they suggest that for web-based students... because you aren't on campus to just print stuff off from the computer labs printers.

I forgot that you aren't web-based :D

klebsiella said:
Thanks! Since you are also going to be campus based.....off topic.... are you getting excited? I have been looking for apartments online for the past week (instead of studying for my final :laugh: ) When do you think you wil be moving to Omaha?

I'm SOOOOO excited! I started looking online for apartments as soon as I was accepted! :laugh: I think i'm going to go look the first weekend in june and place a deposit if i find something (if they'll hold one for me for that long) but I won't be moving in until the week before school starts because my wedding is the 5th! have any complexes caught your eye?

Members don't see this ad :)
ginephre said:
they give each class backpacks that are ginormous and supposed to fit our laptops in addition to all our other crap. online they had discounted prices for undergrads to buy an ibm thinkpad or a tablet, so i was kinda figuring it would be one of those. at my interview they made a big deal out of how wireless campus was so i'm guessing they have built in wireless cards, but the students suggested that when we take our tests to plug into the network manually. i havent heard anything about suggesting we get a color laser printer....i just got a printer/scanner/copier in november so i definitely won't be buying a new printer!

Thanks ginephre!! That helps a lot! I'm going to have to buy a new printer. Mine is just an ink-jet, but is fairly new also. Oh well. I hear airline tickets are going to triple this summer...I better book my flight soon! :eek:

i've seen a color laser printer at Sams club for 400.00. the question is how much for the toner cartridges.

cytogal said:
Thanks ginephre!! That helps a lot! I'm going to have to buy a new printer. Mine is just an ink-jet, but is fairly new also. Oh well. I hear airline tickets are going to triple this summer...I better book my flight soon! :eek:

Are you planning on flying in the day before and leaving the day after we are supposed to be there? I am trying to figure out what days to book my flight. I am flying in from washington dc so it is like a 3-6 hour flight depending on layover.

dcupharm said:
Are you planning on flying in the day before and leaving the day after we are supposed to be there? I am trying to figure out what days to book my flight. I am flying in from washington dc so it is like a 3-6 hour flight depending on layover.

I am also from the Washington, DC area. When I flew in for the interview I left out the day before and flew back into DC the day after my interview because I booked a flight with 2 layovers (1 in Minneapolis and 1 in Detroit). I bought the cheapest ticket possible ($229.00 flying out of National) so that is why I had all of the layovers. I will likely weigh the cost of the ticket against the cost of staying 2 extra days in Omaha. I am pretty sure that Creighton will have student housing available for the dates of the orientation but I am not sure if they will allow us to extend our stay a day or two based on our flight schedule.

dcupharm said:

I will be flying from Ohio and plan on arriving Sun evening and leaving Sat evening (right after orientation). Mine was also a 3-6 flight depending on layover.

I just received an email from the helpdesk at CU stating we will be getting IBM Thinkpad T60's which will be equipped with wireless capability. :)

cytogal said:
I just received an email from the helpdesk at CU stating we will be getting IBM Thinkpad T60's which will be equipped with wireless capability. :)

Awesome! thanks for the info!

cytogal said:

Thanks!

mph2pharm said:
I am also from the Washington, DC area. When I flew in for the interview I left out the day before and flew back into DC the day after my interview because I booked a flight with 2 layovers (1 in Minneapolis and 1 in Detroit). I bought the cheapest ticket possible ($229.00 flying out of National) so that is why I had all of the layovers. I will likely weigh the cost of the ticket against the cost of staying 2 extra days in Omaha. I am pretty sure that Creighton will have student housing available for the dates of the orientation but I am not sure if they will allow us to extend our stay a day or two based on our flight schedule.

Did you book your flight yet?

dcupharm said:
Did you book your flight yet?

I just booked my flight and I would STRONGLY suggest that you go ahead and book. I looked on expedia.com yesterday and saw a round trip ticket leaving out of national for $194.69 (Northwest Airlines). I checked back today and there was only 1 ticket left at that price for the itinerary I was looking at so I went ahead and purchased it. I called Creighton just to confirm the dates of orientation and she confirmed July 31st to August 5th as it says in the email we were sent.

The only thing is that I will be arriving on that Sunday (July 30th) but since the orientation starts at 8:00 a.m. the next day I am assuming most people will arrive on the day before. I have to stay over until Sunday (August 6th) but since everything doesn't end until 5 p.m. at Creighton, I couldn't find a cheap flight leaving out on that evening. I just checked and they still have some tickets priced between $194 and $246 round trip but you will have to do what I am doing, leave out VERY early in the morning or very late in the evening.

Does everyone plan on staying on campus? I'm not sure about dorms, but I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel if everyone else was on campus.

RxMom said:
Does everyone plan on staying on campus? I'm not sure about dorms, but I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel if everyone else was on campus.

Most people in my class (Creighton web-based class 2008) stayed in the dorms the first year. You should arrive the day before the orientation starts. You can leave anytime after the last scheduled session. I think our last session was CPR certification on Saturday morning so I left that afternoon. The orientation week is overwhelming but well worth it. You'll get to see how everyone (students, faculty, and staff) want nothing more than for everyone to succeed.
If you have any questions, please ask.

RxMom said:

I was planning on staying in a dorm. How do we go about getting that set up? Do you know? They said we could get financial aid for that too, but I'm not sure how to do that either. :confused:

RxMom said:

RxMom...you are web-based right? Well I was told on yesterday that housing information for the web-based student orientation will be sent out soon (I think that she said the first week in June). I believe that both single and double-occupancy rooms will be available but there are a limited number of singles and these will be assigned on a first-come first-served basis. Looking at the summer session cost for P2's and P3's, it seems like the rate will be about 18 dollars per night double-occupancy and about 26 dollars per night if you want a single. I do plan to stay in the dorm because I want to be on campus and not have to worry about getting back and forth from the hotel. Also the hotel will be more expensive per night and I am about to be really broke.

Yes I am web-based. I'll be flying in the night before and leaving the day after. I just wasn't sure if everyone planned on the dorms or not. I hope it's a decent set up, I guess at this pont in life I figured my dorm days were over. Soemone mentioned here that their "first year" most everyone stayed on campus. I was wondering if that meant they didn't like it and moved off campus the following years.

This is kinda off-topic, but does anyone know the address where we send our final transcripts?

ginephre said:
This is kinda off-topic, but does anyone know the address where we send our final transcripts?

Creighton University
School of Pharmacy and Health Professions Admission Office
2500 California Plaza
Criss III Room 151
Omaha, NE 68178

klebsiella said:
Creighton University
School of Pharmacy and Health Professions Admission Office
2500 California Plaza
Criss III Room 151
Omaha, NE 68178

thank you so much! :)

I was wondering if anyone who is web based could give me a little summary of what the orientation packet contains (ie does it mention immunizations we need, CPR training, etc). I got an email saying they were mailing them out for the campus based students in a week or so but now Im curious..

Thanks!

RxMom said:
Yes I am web-based. I'll be flying in the night before and leaving the day after. I just wasn't sure if everyone planned on the dorms or not. I hope it's a decent set up, I guess at this pont in life I figured my dorm days were over. Soemone mentioned here that their "first year" most everyone stayed on campus. I was wondering if that meant they didn't like it and moved off campus the following years.

The person who mentioned that during the first year everyone stayed on campus is actually a web-based student going into her third year. I think what she meant was that during the first summer session for web-based students, most students opted to stay in the dorm rather than get a hotel. She said that this allows you to really get to know each other better (in her opinion).

Klebsiella: I haven't received an orientation packet yet.

mph2pharm said:
The person who mentioned that during the first year everyone stayed on campus is actually a web-based student going into her third year. I think what she meant was that during the first summer session for web-based students, most students opted to stay in the dorm rather than get a hotel. She said that this allows you to really get to know each other better (in her opinion).

Klebsiella: I haven't received an orientation packet yet.

I have not received a packet yet either.

So i just got a letter from CU asking me if i want to defer till next year. did anyone else get this?

ginephre said:
So i just got a letter from CU asking me if i want to defer till next year. did anyone else get this?

I got this letter as well. After freaking out :eek: (I misread it and thought THEY were deferring my admission) I wondered what the heck?

PbintoAu said:
I got this letter as well. After freaking out :eek: (I misread it and thought THEY were deferring my admission) I wondered what the heck?

after first getting the email asking if we wanted to switch to web-based and now this letter, my fiance and I were wondering if they admitted more people than the class size and there werent many people declining admission.

ginephre said:
after first getting the email asking if we wanted to switch to web-based and now this letter, my fiance and I were wondering if they admitted more people than the class size and there werent many people declining admission.

I agree, it seems odd but maybe since the application pool was so big the usual accept X number b/c Y number always say no didnt work.

I wonder what they are going to do if they dont "widdle" down the incoming class. Im sure they cant say "oops we let in to many see you in 2007" can they?

ginephre said:

If they throw in a 20% discount on tuition then I might think about it. :laugh: I just got my financial aid award letter yesterday and the figures outlining what I will pay over the four years brought tears to my eyes. :eek:

mph2pharm said:
If they throw in a 20% discount on tuition then I might think about it. :laugh: I just got my financial aid award letter yesterday and the figures outlining what I will pay over the four years brought tears to my eyes. :eek:

I also got my fiancial aid info...luckily my girlfriend knows CPR. :laugh:

ginephre said:

I have not received this letter yet. That's scary! Maybe they did admit more students than they planned on.