Criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remotefuse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but they seem to be old and I wanted to ask again. How many of you or people you know have matriculated into medical school with a criminal record?

4 years ago, I got a misdemeanor ticket for possession of marijuana pariphilia. I've been working as an RN for about 3 years now and am starting prerequisites for medical school. Is this just going to end up being a waste of time?

When it comes time to explain, I'm also not sure of how much detail to go into. Pretty much, I was in a pretty bad car accident that resulted in multiple fractures. I was offered narcotic pain medication, but already knew of he opioid epidemic and asked about medical marijuana for pain instead. I used it for about 3 weeks before not needing it anymore. I let my prescibtion go without getting it renewed, but never threw out my pipe. When I was moving (actually across the country for nursing school) I got pulled over and a dog alerted to it. If I had my prescription still, they would of let me on my way, but since it had expired about a month before, they gave me the ticket.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Each issue is case by case. With issues like weed esp., certain states and programs can have different opinions. I would contact any schools you may be interested and ask to speak with someone about it.

I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but they seem to be old and I wanted to ask again. How many of you or people you know have matriculated into medical school with a criminal record?

4 years ago, I got a misdemeanor ticket for possession of marijuana pariphilia. I've been working as an RN for about 3 years now and am starting prerequisites for medical school. Is this just going to end up being a waste of time?

When it comes time to explain, I'm also not sure of how much detail to go into. Pretty much, I was in a pretty bad car accident that resulted in multiple fractures. I was offered narcotic pain medication, but already knew of he opioid epidemic and asked about medical marijuana for pain instead. I used it for about 3 weeks before not needing it anymore. I let my prescibtion go without getting it renewed, but never threw out my pipe. When I was moving (actually across the country for nursing school) I got pulled over and a dog alerted to it. If I had my prescription still, they would of let me on my way, but since it had expired about a month before, they gave me the ticket.
A lot of us were young and stupid once. Just own this, and explain like you did here, and you'll be OK.

Reactions: 1 users