Aug 4, 2017
I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but they seem to be old and I wanted to ask again. How many of you or people you know have matriculated into medical school with a criminal record?

4 years ago, I got a misdemeanor ticket for possession of marijuana pariphilia. I've been working as an RN for about 3 years now and am starting prerequisites for medical school. Is this just going to end up being a waste of time?

When it comes time to explain, I'm also not sure of how much detail to go into. Pretty much, I was in a pretty bad car accident that resulted in multiple fractures. I was offered narcotic pain medication, but already knew of he opioid epidemic and asked about medical marijuana for pain instead. I used it for about 3 weeks before not needing it anymore. I let my prescibtion go without getting it renewed, but never threw out my pipe. When I was moving (actually across the country for nursing school) I got pulled over and a dog alerted to it. If I had my prescription still, they would of let me on my way, but since it had expired about a month before, they gave me the ticket.

Last edited:

CyrilFiggis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Each issue is case by case. With issues like weed esp., certain states and programs can have different opinions. I would contact any schools you may be interested and ask to speak with someone about it.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but they seem to be old and I wanted to ask again. How many of you or people you know have matriculated into medical school with a criminal record?

4 years ago, I got a misdemeanor ticket for possession of marijuana pariphilia. I've been working as an RN for about 3 years now and am starting prerequisites for medical school. Is this just going to end up being a waste of time?

When it comes time to explain, I'm also not sure of how much detail to go into. Pretty much, I was in a pretty bad car accident that resulted in multiple fractures. I was offered narcotic pain medication, but already knew of he opioid epidemic and asked about medical marijuana for pain instead. I used it for about 3 weeks before not needing it anymore. I let my prescibtion go without getting it renewed, but never threw out my pipe. When I was moving (actually across the country for nursing school) I got pulled over and a dog alerted to it. If I had my prescription still, they would of let me on my way, but since it had expired about a month before, they gave me the ticket.
A lot of us were young and stupid once. Just own this, and explain like you did here, and you'll be OK.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.