Criteria for Partnership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still far from this point in my life but I was just curious about criteria for being made partner? Does it have to do with how much money you bring into the group, how much the existing partners like you?

Members don't see this ad.

Still far from this point in my life but I was just curious about criteria for being made partner? Does it have to do with how much money you bring into the group, how much the existing partners like you?

Has more to do with whether the practice is honest and not "one of those" practices.

Has more to do with whether the practice is honest and not "one of those" practices.
in our group, when i was a partner, if you did your work, were not a whiner, were competent, a team player, appreciated by the referring clinicians and had good interpersonal and communication skills you would be made a partner.
As I have stated on this board before, the three"A's" of pathology are "affability, ability and ability". You have all three in spades and you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree with mike's post above. Many places have a "trial" period for a year or so before going on the formal partnership track. During that time, both the new hire and group go through a period of growing into each other, and after that time (or earlier if things go well) then you're on the formal track to partner.

I will never make another pathologist partner again. So my criteria would include things like being the Risen Christ, a rider of the Apocalypse or other such supernatural phenom.:laugh:

We have added several new partners in our group in the last few years. The discussions usually center around the value the person adds to the group. It may mean billables in some cases, however, there are many more ways to add value that are not monetary. Teaching ability (if you have residents or students), consultation on difficult cases with the partners, reliability in coverage when there are staff shortages, and clinician satisfaction are all ways to add value. I think it also helps to have a visable presence outside your department in other areas of the hospital. They should consider which clinicians will be upset if you are not a partner and then choose to move on to a different partnership job. If there are clinicians that really like you and are good clients, then they could send their pathology specimens elsewhere. In general, I also second that not being considered "a whiner" is a really big +.

Basically, there are no hard and fast criteria. You could be the hottest hotness out there, get along with everyone, sign out oodles of cases, teach, and even not whine about it, and not be made partner. It's up to the existing partners, who may simply have no interest in bringing in a new partner. You still need to be in the right place at the right time, and have some of those variable other qualities that would make a good partner.

We have added several new partners in our group in the last few years. The discussions usually center around the value the person adds to the group. It may mean billables in some cases, however, there are many more ways to add value that are not monetary. Teaching ability (if you have residents or students), consultation on difficult cases with the partners, reliability in coverage when there are staff shortages, and clinician satisfaction are all ways to add value. I think it also helps to have a visable presence outside your department in other areas of the hospital. They should consider which clinicians will be upset if you are not a partner and then choose to move on to a different partnership job. If there are clinicians that really like you and are good clients, then they could send their pathology specimens elsewhere. In general, I also second that not being considered "a whiner" is a really big +.

Wow, how much does your group value not whining, teaching and being reliable exactly?:laugh:

Sounds so abstract its more as "if you are liked, you become partner". That isnt any sort of value based system. For value basing, you would need to quantify all the parameters and then measure that against the cost of making them partner in some reproducible fashion.

What you are describing is basically the same feel good system that most groups use...

Last edited:
Basically, there are no hard and fast criteria. You could be the hottest hotness out there, get along with everyone, sign out oodles of cases, teach, and even not whine about it, and not be made partner.

This is 101% correct.

So, what happens when groups dont offer partnership? Do they outright tell you this is not partnership track, you take job and leave in a few years? Do they outirght lie to you that this is a partnership track and then kick you out the back door in a few years when they are supp to decide if you become partner.

The only way to find out about the group is to talk to previous employees and find out what is actually going on?

So, what happens when groups dont offer partnership? Do they outright tell you this is not partnership track, you take job and leave in a few years?

From what I know as a med student, in this case you'd simply be an employee of the group and you stay on until you either decide to move on to something else or you give them reason enough to let you go.

Do they outirght lie to you that this is a partnership track and then kick you out the back door in a few years when they are supp to decide if you become partner.

This can happen in "one of those" practices that like to churn and burn newly-minted pathologists. Word on the street is this practice isn't limited to pathology...happens for sure in radiology and likely other fields as well.

The only way to find out about the group is to talk to previous employees and find out what is actually going on?

This is pretty much what I've gathered from reading on this forum.

So, what happens when groups dont offer partnership? Do they outright tell you this is not partnership track, you take job and leave in a few years? Do they outirght lie to you that this is a partnership track and then kick you out the back door in a few years when they are supp to decide if you become partner.

all the above

currently:
1.) groups offer a partnership track position with hopes of getting the best possible candidates and then string them along for years, even decades. This can take the form of such stuff as "junior partners" (ie non-founding partners or non-voting partners) or small interest share partners as most medical groups are now S-corps, they might break off 10 out of 1000 shares to give you.

2.) the no1 scenario but they basically never discuss partnership at all with you, hoping you are too much of a wimp to ask. Once you start pressing, they try to string you along. Once they are bored with that, they kick you to the curb.

3.) group tells you outright that partnership isnt to be had, ever. more groups are doing this now, sadly this was quite unusual 10 years ago (most did 1 or 2).

Ive heard of some fairly intense permutations of the above:
~situation I call the "Running Them Dry" where the group drops the salary, the benefits like time off or both with each consecutive yearly contract to get the non-partner to leave.
Ive heard of some groups actually run hires down to 1/2 their starting salary or less! trying to get them to leave voluntarily. Crazy. If they dont leave, then you have a pathologist working 40hrs/week for less than your PA.

~Some groups actually use a "Treacherous Git" where they begin covertly rounding up cases from the employee and reviewing them in some secret meeting, even sending them to academic places specifically to get disagreements to use as evidence should their clinicians/admin ? why they booted the person. Then they ask the person to voluntarily leave or else the evidence will be "outed" to Hospital QA (this is usually a boldfaced bluff as the Treacherous Git is hardly stealthy to anyone with common sense and an openly disgraced pathologist will harm them almost as much as it would the employee).

Groups dont want to outright fire someone for cause, this obviously reflect quite poorly on them. (After they have to do alot of 'splain to do to clinicians whos cases were read by said fired peon)

4.) Groups offer partnership but with crazy high buy ins and no real property/assets to show for it. These are called "Blue Sky" buyins. Often even after you Blue Sky in (taking out a MAMMOTH personal equity line from a bank to do so), you can still get relegated to a jr. partner level by careful use of S-corp bylaws. To be fair, some groups let you Blue Sky after 3-4 years by taking your wages and applying those to the money you own them. Sadly if you leave or they boot you via a Treacherous Git, you often lose that built up buy in. This way they can actually pay you LESS after youve been there for 3-4 years and you might stupidly feel good about it...

5.) Groups offer partnership with no buy in but pay you practically nothing for several years first. This is actually the most reasonable solution for me. I never interviewed with a group who did this, but have many friends who went this route.

6.) Buy ins where the group owns real property...I like this alot, but it also scares me. Real property is difficult thing to assess the value of now and you are very very likely to be overcharged for a building which the elderly partners are relying on to retire to Palm Springs on.

hope that helps.
I think for most, just a paying job should be the goal at this point.

all the above

currently:
1.) groups offer a partnership track position with hopes of getting the best possible candidates and then string them along for years, even decades. This can take the form of such stuff as "junior partners" (ie non-founding partners or non-voting partners) or small interest share partners as most medical groups are now S-corps, they might break off 10 out of 1000 shares to give you.

I don't know about everyone else...I would leave after a few years of being pulled along.

2.) the no1 scenario but they basically never discuss partnership at all with you, hoping you are too much of a wimp to ask. Once you start pressing, they try to string you along. Once they are bored with that, they kick you to the curb.

3.) group tells you outright that partnership isnt to be had, ever. more groups are doing this now, sadly this was quite unusual 10 years ago (most did 1 or 2).

Ive heard of some fairly intense permutations of the above:
~situation I call the "Running Them Dry" where the group drops the salary, the benefits like time off or both with each consecutive yearly contract to get the non-partner to leave.
Ive heard of some groups actually run hires down to 1/2 their starting salary or less! trying to get them to leave voluntarily. Crazy. If they dont leave, then you have a pathologist working 40hrs/week for less than your PA.

How could they drop your salary like that. If you have a good lawyer shouldn't he/she be able to read the contract over so that you don't get screwed over like this?

~Some groups actually use a "Treacherous Git" where they begin covertly rounding up cases from the employee and reviewing them in some secret meeting, even sending them to academic places specifically to get disagreements to use as evidence should their clinicians/admin ? why they booted the person. Then they ask the person to voluntarily leave or else the evidence will be "outed" to Hospital QA (this is usually a boldfaced bluff as the Treacherous Git is hardly stealthy to anyone with common sense and an openly disgraced pathologist will harm them almost as much as it would the employee).

So what you are saying is that they try to make you look bad by showing the misdiagnoses you've made on your cases? Can you give an example? Wow, how can you work with someone but really they are working to screw you over behind that smile?

Groups dont want to outright fire someone for cause, this obviously reflect quite poorly on them. (After they have to do alot of 'splain to do to clinicians whos cases were read by said fired peon)

4.) Groups offer partnership but with crazy high buy ins and no real property/assets to show for it. These are called "Blue Sky" buyins. Often even after you Blue Sky in (taking out a MAMMOTH personal equity line from a bank to do so), you can still get relegated to a jr. partner level by careful use of S-corp bylaws. To be fair, some groups let you Blue Sky after 3-4 years by taking your wages and applying those to the money you own them. Sadly if you leave or they boot you via a Treacherous Git, you often lose that built up buy in. This way they can actually pay you LESS after youve been there for 3-4 years and you might stupidly feel good about it...

5.) Groups offer partnership with no buy in but pay you practically nothing for several years first. This is actually the most reasonable solution for me. I never interviewed with a group who did this, but have many friends who went this route.

6.) Buy ins where the group owns real property...I like this alot, but it also scares me. Real property is difficult thing to assess the value of now and you are very very likely to be overcharged for a building which the elderly partners are relying on to retire to Palm Springs on.

What do you mean by "real property?

hope that helps.
I think for most, just a paying job should be the goal at this point.

See bolded above. Thanks for the great info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be an ahole, but wiki "real property" Im not your dad or your attending. I already spent a good chunk of time typing that out for you.

they drop the salary because each year the contract is NEW. comprehende? There is nothing for a laywer to find, they take on 6- or 12-month contract cycles. They lower the pay with each new one, simple.

And who cares if you leave after a few years of being strung along. If I smartly took a newly minted one of you guys on this site and paid you 150K and put you in some God forsaken crapheap of a hospital signing out meat 10 hours a day, I would have made a million dollars off you in a mere 3-4 years.

But I have a conscience so I dont do this crap. But come find me in a few years. Another 4 years of Obamafication and I will be Breaking Bad.

And who cares if you leave after a few years of being strung along. If I smartly took a newly minted one of you guys on this site and paid you 150K and put you in some God forsaken crapheap of a hospital signing out meat 10 hours a day, I would have made a million dollars off you in a mere 3-4 years.

Exactly. There is always another hungry young pathologist willing to take the job. I think you underestimate here though. If you own the histology lab and you are billing TC/PC you will make a million off of a youngling faster than 3 or 4 years. ;)

Wow, how much does your group value not whining, teaching and being reliable exactly?:laugh:

Sounds so abstract its more as "if you are liked, you become partner". That isnt any sort of value based system. For value basing, you would need to quantify all the parameters and then measure that against the cost of making them partner in some reproducible fashion.

What you are describing is basically the same feel good system that most groups use...

OK, so what about the groups (there are many) where some or all of the senior partners are lazy, unproductive, or even counterproductive? That isn't value-based either. Would you "remove" partnership? These groups are dangerous IMHO but can be hard for job applicants to sniff out.

Groups can make it hard to become a partner, but these groups may be either those where the senior partners are lazy or ineffective (the worst groups to join, IMHO) or they can be groups where the senior partners are connected, savvy, and keep growing the group. These latter groups are not optimal for new hires because you probably stand little chance of advancing much, but at least there is a reason.

One also has to be careful of groups which continue to pay their partners after they retire, or keep paying them huge amounts while they work part time.

My group has a different model - all partners make the same, do not profit off the group after retirement. New hires are hired because they are almost certain to become partners. There is a gradual equalization of salary over the few years it takes to become a full partner. And the buy-in is minimal. This is probably why only one person has ever left our group before retirement.

OK, so what about the groups (there are many) where some or all of the senior partners are lazy, unproductive, or even counterproductive? That isn't value-based either. Would you "remove" partnership? These groups are dangerous IMHO but can be hard for job applicants to sniff out.

Groups can make it hard to become a partner, but these groups may be either those where the senior partners are lazy or ineffective (the worst groups to join, IMHO) or they can be groups where the senior partners are connected, savvy, and keep growing the group. These latter groups are not optimal for new hires because you probably stand little chance of advancing much, but at least there is a reason.

One also has to be careful of groups which continue to pay their partners after they retire, or keep paying them huge amounts while they work part time.

My group has a different model - all partners make the same, do not profit off the group after retirement. New hires are hired because they are almost certain to become partners. There is a gradual equalization of salary over the few years it takes to become a full partner. And the buy-in is minimal. This is probably why only one person has ever left our group before retirement.

You are one of the lucky ones then.

I will say every pathologist as he/she ages becomes either: Lazy or Greedy.
Rarely both, because they are opposing forces.

You need to check/channel those 2 yin/yang aspects constantly once you are 10+ years into the game.

Or just complacent. Complacency is a dangerous thing. I have met people my age who are already complacent.

Or just complacent. Complacency is a dangerous thing. I have met people my age who are already complacent.

Gah, I know people who were "complacent", I call lazy (either from a scientific knowledge aspect or a biz one), 3 months out of training.

For groups whose income is predominantly hospital based I can see how the quickly (2-3 years) making a newbie and equal partner/vote/pay is reasonable.

I can also see how a one man or a few men built a hospital based practice with a heavy outpatient component would feel entitled to just hire employee pathologists with no equal pay/partnership. Why the hell should the new guy get an equal share when they did all the hard work of getting the clients and building the lab?

It is like if you were a chef who built a successful trendy restaurant and let's say you were working in the kitchen as the lead. You wouldn't hire cooks to help you or replace in you in the kitchen and them give them an equal share of the restaurant profits. You would give them a salary, benefits and a little bonus every once in awhile and keep all the profits for yourself while you hang out at the bar drinking mojitos.

Thanks for posting about the blue sky buy ins. Its such a scam.

The flip side of the idea someone posted about where the older pathologists set up the shop and the newer people come in like vultures is most likely outdated. New people bring in a new look and new ideas to groups that are often times satisfied with the status quo and profits as usual. I think trainees now a days are more highly trained and can be a strong asset to the group, providing the group hires the right individuals.

Glad people are posting their thoughts, it really helps me out. I also like the idea: "signing out meat." I'll chuckle all day about that one. :luck:

Thanks for posting about the blue sky buy ins. Its such a scam.

The flip side of the idea someone posted about where the older pathologists set up the shop and the newer people come in like vultures is most likely outdated. New people bring in a new look and new ideas to groups that are often times satisfied with the status quo and profits as usual. I think trainees now a days are more highly trained and can be a strong asset to the group, providing the group hires the right individuals.

Glad people are posting their thoughts, it really helps me out. I also like the idea: "signing out meat." I'll chuckle all day about that one. :luck:

What you say might be true, but no newly minted grad is nearly as competent as a pathologist 20 years out, and I am just saying that if you spent years building an outpatient lab and getting clients and developing relationships, you might not just immediately give some new schmoe an equal cut after three years.

The idea that newly minted trainees have anything to offer over people with years of experience is a joke. Think about brand new attendings at your institution. I have seen brand new hemepath attending call a lymph node follicular lymphoma that a seasoned hemepath attending called a benign resting lymph just by looking at the H&Es.

Newly minted path grads entirely overestimate their knowledge base. They have no idea how dangerous they are.

You would probably do the same if you built a busy outpatient based pathology practice over a period of years.

Newly minted path grads entirely overestimate their knowledge base. They have no idea how dangerous they are.

This idea permeates the job market. That is why it is a different ballgame when you have experience. It is also pervasive that new grads lack work ethic.

New grad job hunters listen up. You're job is to convince the old private practice partners that neither of these things is true of you. Convince them that you are different.

This idea permeates the job market. That is why it is a different ballgame when you have experience. It is also pervasive that new grads lack work ethic.

New grad job hunters listen up. You're job is to convince the old private practice partners that neither of these things is true of you. Convince them that you are different.

Yes. I think hospital based groups that take equal call should pay make new hires new partners and pay them equally. But if you built up a substantial outpatient/lab/clientele, I totally get not making new hires partners.