Critical Care as an Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasPundit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to put in my picks for internship at UF. Lots to choose from, including up to 6 mos of anesthesia (5 of which would have to be made up later in SICU time, above and beyond the 2 months already required; that's a lot of CCM), SICU, BICU, PICU, etc etc.

So, how many CCM months would YOU be comfortable tackling as an intern? I'm leaning towards 4-5. In my opinion, it's better training and without the silliness that medicine and surgery rotations can bring.

Members don't see this ad.

GasPundit said:
I'm trying to put in my picks for internship at UF. Lots to choose from, including up to 6 mos of anesthesia (5 of which would have to be made up later in SICU time, above and beyond the 2 months already required; that's a lot of CCM), SICU, BICU, PICU, etc etc.

So, how many CCM months would YOU be comfortable tackling as an intern? I'm leaning towards 4-5. In my opinion, it's better training and without the silliness that medicine and surgery rotations can bring.

You'll be SOLID if you take that many months of CCM but don't burn yourself out before your CA years start. I completely enjoyed the ICU but it is exhausting.

Im completing my 3rd ICU month now, and have one month more in May for a total of 4 months.

In all honesty, I feel solid in the Unit right now, I realize I have more to learn and greater depth to what I already now. Based on feedback from the fellows I am an "excellent" intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great to hear. Guess I'm wondering where the breaking point is; seems like 3-4 should be plenty as an intern, especially if q3 call?

Remember that the SICU will be spread out over your CA-2 and CA-3 year, not in your internship. So the q3 call is NOT in your internship.

In my opinion, it is well worth it since you learn so much more during SICU rotations than doing scut work in medicine or surgery. There is then also the possibility of using that time for an acting fellowship depending how much you like it and how well you do.

muehlsch said:
Remember that the SICU will be spread out over your CA-2 and CA-3 year, not in your internship. So the q3 call is NOT in your internship.

In my opinion, it is well worth it since you learn so much more during SICU rotations than doing scut work in medicine or surgery. There is then also the possibility of using that time for an acting fellowship depending how much you like it and how well you do.

SO you'd increase the number of anesthesia months as a PGY-1 in order to trade off the med/surg months for SICU later on? Sounds good to me; gets anesthesia earlier, with more critical care to boot.

correct !

It sounds like the ACGME will make 6 months of critical care a requirement relatively soon anyways.