Critical care question

Started by ollaguna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ollaguna

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone familiar with argatroban? I presented a case of HIT, including the use of argatroban, but didn't find any info on when to DC the medication? When do you stop anticoagulating the patient? I'm figure the answer has something to so with the half life of heparin induced IgG's?
 
Originally posted by ollaguna
Anyone familiar with argatroban? I presented a case of HIT, including the use of argatroban, but didn't find any info on when to DC the medication? When do you stop anticoagulating the patient? I'm figure the answer has something to so with the half life of heparin induced IgG's?

Depends on why they were on heparin in the first place as to how they they need to be anticoagulated. But in general, my experience is that we leave someone on argatroban until the PTT is 2-3 times normal (or INR is super-therapeutic) - this can take several days and then switch them to oral anticoag if they can tolerate it/ready to take PO.