Critical Mass in Medical School Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I realize that applying broadly is key to success in medical school applications. However, even as an international applicant, I have only been able to narrow the numbered of U.S. medical schools that I would like to attend down to about 40... Obviously, some I prefer over others. At some point, the number of applications submitted must become counter-productive. There is no way you could write 40 heartfelt genuine secondary applications without the quality beginning to slip.

How many schools would you consider applying to? I realize that it is important to find the right fit, but for the sake of argument, imagine the number of suitable schools were indefinite.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think whenever I do put together a school list, I'm going to cap it at 20.
The secondaries would be overwhelming with 40 schools.. it's already stressful enough!

mcm= 10^GPA * MCAT^2

Members don't see this ad :)
~15 is what people generally recommend, depending on how competitive you are. 20-25 would be the upper limit of what I think most people would be willing to do.

I sent my AMCAS to 18 schools and ended up only doing 11 secondaries. But I'm lazy. Average number is 15.

Like others said, 15ish is around the ballpark for most people. If you have money to burn and want to apply to more top-tier schools, 20-25 isn't a bad idea. However since you are an international applicant, you will have to add 5-10 more schools as compared to a US resident, just to be safe.

I think about 20-25 should be a solid number, although we could help narrow down schools based on your stats and location preferences.

I applied to 21, completed 20 seondaries as a fellow international. Looking back on it I probably would have been fine applying to about 15, but 20 allowed me to feel safe about my chances.

Thank you for all your input everyone. It sounds like somewhere between 15-25 is the number. I will see if I can narrow my list down any further.

If you have the financial freedom, apply to as many as you want. Keep in mind that you don't have to complete all of their secondaries. As others have said, 20-25 is optimal.

Take a look at previous threads to get a sense of what your schools' secondaries are, as many, if not most, recycle the exact same prompts year after year.

It may be anathema, but I recycled most of my secondary essays. None, save the targeted ones, took me more than an hour so I had no problem with 20 secondaries.