Critique my resume please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nohika

lurker status
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no see!

So...I'll give you guys a quick update on what I've been doing (for those who remember who I am) - I'm currently pre-nursing (well, in those classes), but I can't give up the idea of wanting to go to vet school. So I'm finally standing up to my mother (yeah, long time in coming) and I plan to distribute my resume to some clinics a week from today.

I actually am planning to transfer to a four-year program in the fall (hopefully my acceptance/rejection letter will come in in a couple weeks) to do a year working on a bachelor's in biology to get better preference at their nursing program. I'll be attending WSUV (the Vancouver campus of the WSU vet school) and I'll take o-chem and physics and probably biology, too. Maybe biochem.

Anyways. What I was asking in this thread is, is anyone willing to critique my resume for me? I really want it to be in the best shape it can be. I can't pick up a job - I'm taking 21 credits and there's just not time, so I'm hoping for a weekly shadowing gig (4-8 hours).

Thank you guys so much! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would submit it in person. The first time I tried to shadow the vet I'm currently shadowing, I called and the receptionist said they didn't want anyone else because they already had a couple people. A few months later, we found a dog and took him there to get him scanned for a chip. The vet was standing there and my mom started talking about how I wanted to be a vet and he said I could come in.

Thanks, guys! Minnerbelle, I'll send that off to you tonight.

I'm seriously really nervous...my mother will be 500% PISSED which will make life miserable, but I'm the one that will have regrets and not her. So what if I end up in school for eight years? It's my life, not hers, right?

Well I guess this will be a crash course in how to speak well under pressure. x3 Any tips on what to say? I stutter and lose my train of thought when nervous.:laugh:

Minnerbelle -

It has been said before, but I will repeat it.. .it can be a bad idea to put your e-mail address on an open forum. Lots of potentially "nasty" things can happen.

Best to ask someone to PM you and then you can provide it to them directly.
Your call... but you might want to edit your posting.

That is, unfortunately, the world we live in.

Minnerbelle -

It has been said before, but I will repeat it.. .it can be a bad idea to put your e-mail address on an open forum. Lots of potentially "nasty" things can happen.

Best to ask someone to PM you and then you can provide it to them directly.
Your call... but you might want to edit your posting.

That is, unfortunately, the world we live in.

Oh no worries, that's my junk email... I only use it for SDN and/or random things I need to provide an email address to access. what "nasty" things can happen to such an address? I planned on editing my posting and removing it once I heard back from nohika anyhow but now I'm kind of curious.

I'm not as worried about real people finding it, lol. There are 'bots' that just comb the Internet for email addresses within website content and then they send... Junk. The standard sort, usually - college degrees, enlargement, etc... but more bots come along, or you get stuck in some sort of list that gets passed around, and soon your spam filter just can't keep up.

I just finished my resume (not that it makes me a pro or anything lol. I'd be willing to look over yours if you want.

I'm not as worried about real people finding it, lol. There are 'bots' that just comb the Internet for email addresses within website content and then they send... Junk. The standard sort, usually - college degrees, enlargement, etc... but more bots come along, or you get stuck in some sort of list that gets passed around, and soon your spam filter just can't keep up.

ditto

hi Nohika!! its so nice to hear from you again! especially since you sound more relaxed now :D im so glad you are working toward your dream now (and stood up to your mom!) , i hope it all works out for the best!

hi Nohika!! its so nice to hear from you again! especially since you sound more relaxed now :D im so glad you are working toward your dream now (and stood up to your mom!) , i hope it all works out for the best!

Thank you! :love: I'm really anxious because my mother's going to be angry, but...y'know what, it's my life, not hers. She needs to stop trying to interfere. Long hard path to realizing it, but I have.

I'm considering calling some clinics today (I was planning on going out on Monday to go in person) to see if any accept shadows, but I'm not certain if it's a good idea or not. :scared:

And thank you so much for critiquing my resume from quite some time ago! I still have the edits you made. =)

Edit: CONGRATS ON UPENN! =DDDD

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really anxious because my mother's going to be angry, but...y'know what, it's my life, not hers. She needs to stop trying to interfere. Long hard path to realizing it, but I have.

my mom wasn't supportive in the beginning either b/c i was heading to law school (for her) b/c that's what she wanted me to do. but i realized *I* was the one that had to get up and go to work and do my job everyday, not anyone else so i should do what i want to. my mom ended up being more excited about my vet school acceptances than i was. i had a tough decision to make between schools and she was really helpful and very supportive.

so maybe it's going to be just as much of an adjustment period for your mom as it will be for you as you start pursuing this path. or maybe, as a mother, she just has a fear that you'll jump from one thing to another. you'll be fine! and i'm sure she'll come around. good luck!!

And thank you so much for critiquing my resume from quite some time ago! I still have the edits you made. =)

Edit: CONGRATS ON UPENN! =DDDD

your welcome and thank you! :D

my mom wasn't supportive in the beginning either b/c i was heading to law school (for her) b/c that's what she wanted me to do. but i realized *I* was the one that had to get up and go to work and do my job everyday, not anyone else so i should do what i want to. my mom ended up being more excited about my vet school acceptances than i was. i had a tough decision to make between schools and she was really helpful and very supportive.

so maybe it's going to be just as much of an adjustment period for your mom as it will be for you as you start pursuing this path. or maybe, as a mother, she just has a fear that you'll jump from one thing to another. you'll be fine! and i'm sure she'll come around. good luck!!

I wanted to second this. I was ready to go into a Ph.D. in Spanish, however I finally took the leap to Vet school. My parents were pretty skeptical at first, they really just thought I was being scared of graduate school. However now that I've been taking science classes and getting up at 5am (ugh) for my new job, they're really understanding and supportive! Nohika, once your mom sees that this is actually what you want to do, and that you're really going to work for it, I bet she will come around.

I'm worried about telling her that I'm trying to get shadowing experience, because she's going to be angry. She "just wants me to finish something", which I understand, but...what's the benefit to finishing something I'll hate? Get a job I hate and be miserable?

I really think the shadowing is essential...because what I'm suffering from this quarter is a lack of motivation. On top of everything, my orthodontist killed himself last week so we're still reeling from that. :scared: But...I put a lot of thought into it, and y'know what? It's my life. I want to be happy when I go to work, not miserable.

your welcome and thank you! :D

:D You'll keep us all posted, right?

I wanted to second this. I was ready to go into a Ph.D. in Spanish, however I finally took the leap to Vet school. My parents were pretty skeptical at first, they really just thought I was being scared of graduate school. However now that I've been taking science classes and getting up at 5am (ugh) for my new job, they're really understanding and supportive! Nohika, once your mom sees that this is actually what you want to do, and that you're really going to work for it, I bet she will come around.

Unfortunately I can't pick up a job - I'm taking 21 credits and there's just not stamina/time for it. I was more hoping to pick up maybe 4, 8 hours a week shadowing at a clinic if I can find someone that will let me. I hope that once I get immersed in it, I can see how much I really like it (I'm pretty sure I will) and hopefully it'll be easier to work towards.

I've done a lot of thinking lately about /why/ vetmed appeals to me so much...and I know it has its sucky points, but I think it would be a lot better for me in terms of things I would enjoy and love to do.

I'm worried about telling her that I'm trying to get shadowing experience, because she's going to be angry. She "just wants me to finish something", which I understand, but...what's the benefit to finishing something I'll hate? Get a job I hate and be miserable?

i definitely understand she'll be angry but you're doing the right thing and even if it's rough at first, it'll all work out. as for getting shadowing experience, don't give up if you get a lot of "No" responses at first. or even if the first shadowing experience doesn't work out for you. you'll find great experience that can work with your busy schedule. we have faith in you! :)

and when you DO start shadowing...keep a small notebook to document some of your experiences. it will be great to have in prep for vet school interviews and also fun to look over 3 years from now.

:D You'll keep us all posted, right?

if by this you mean stay on SDN? lol i'm going to try my best!!! i def want to keep being a part of the forum and help other pre-vets. this place was amazing for me and i learned so much. hopefully i'll be able to stay on top of my class work and still waste time online every now and then :laugh:

dont forget to keep us posted!! you have a long *scary* road ahead but i want to hear that it goes well and maybe SDN can provide more support if you run into some hard times and need to vent!

i definitely understand she'll be angry but you're doing the right thing and even if it's rough at first, it'll all work out. as for getting shadowing experience, don't give up if you get a lot of "No" responses at first. or even if the first shadowing experience doesn't work out for you. you'll find great experience that can work with your busy schedule. we have faith in you! :)

and when you DO start shadowing...keep a small notebook to document some of your experiences. it will be great to have in prep for vet school interviews and also fun to look over 3 years from now.

I was thinking of going around to the different clinics and saying something along the lines of "I'm a college student interested in the profession of veterinary medicine and was hoping to gain some shadowing experience. If that's possible, who do I talk to?"

Someone suggested/does look at the different diseases when they get home from shadowing to get a bit of a bigger background knowledge...I think I'd like to do that, as well. There's one clinic that let me shadow about two years ago for a senior project and I'm desperately hoping they'll let me shadow for a while again - that clinic is fantastic. I do plan to visit others, though, since most will likely say no.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Vancouver/Portland area in the NW that allows shadows?

if by this you mean stay on SDN? lol i'm going to try my best!!! i def want to keep being a part of the forum and help other pre-vets. this place was amazing for me and i learned so much. hopefully i'll be able to stay on top of my class work and still waste time online every now and then :laugh:

dont forget to keep us posted!! you have a long *scary* road ahead but i want to hear that it goes well and maybe SDN can provide more support if you run into some hard times and need to vent!

Yes! =3 You guys are amazing here. I love this place. It's a nice break from the nursing people who assure me "vet school's so easy since it's only two years, right?" I live near a vet tech program that's two years but no, that's not veterinary school. xDD

I'll definitely try to. =) It's terrifying...but I really do have some amazing people (my friends and SDN) behind me and that helps a lot. Just gotta hope she doesn't kick me out or make things too miserable! One of my friends suggested trying to be as polite and respectful about it as I could, and I think that's good advice.

yes rileyroo!! i used to only track the hours i was there (make sure you do this it is impt for VMCAS) but i never kept a notebook of experiences. then when i applied i was trying to remember things from 5 years and it was sooo hard!! i'm sure i left some amazing surgeries out and other stuff :( so ya, this is a really great idea. and you'll be amazed to see how fast the list grows after a couple of months!

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Vancouver/Portland area in the NW that allows shadows?

well, i just google searched veterinary hospitals near vancouver/portland and there are a lot!! so i'm sure you can find at least one to take you! You may have to talk with 10-20 lol but at least you HAVE that many by you!!

well, i just google searched veterinary hospitals near vancouver/portland and there are a lot!! so i'm sure you can find at least one to take you! You may have to talk with 10-20 lol but at least you HAVE that many by you!!

I'll arm myself with my GPS system and go! :laugh: I have absolutely negative zero sense of direction. I picked five or six that were close (or I recognized the street name... :idea:) that I wanted to go to first, so hopefully one of them will let me but if not I'll venture out into the unknown! :smuggrin:

DEFINATELY do this! Theres no need to record the medical nitty gritty for each case - you dont have to know that, thats what going to vet school is for! But record each case that you felt significantly made you grow as a person and a veterinary professional - the cases that were awesome, the cases that crashed and burned, the clients and the animals who stole your heart and you will never forget. Because if you can look back on that, get that feeling back and project it in your interview, its the kind of thing that will get you in. And its also a really great resource to kick your butt into gear when you're having bad days and dont want to study!

DEFINATELY do this! Theres no need to record the medical nitty gritty for each case - you dont have to know that, thats what going to vet school is for! But record each case that you felt significantly made you grow as a person and a veterinary professional - the cases that were awesome, the cases that crashed and burned, the clients and the animals who stole your heart and you will never forget. Because if you can look back on that, get that feeling back and project it in your interview, its the kind of thing that will get you in. And its also a really great resource to kick your butt into gear when you're having bad days and dont want to study!

I'll definitely do that...there's one case I still remember from my first time (a critical patient I had some involvement with) that's stuck with me, even though it ended in euthanasia.

Does anyone thing there's credence in calling clinics to see if they allow shadows? I can't go out today, but would calling around to get an idea be a good preliminary or should I just wait until I can visit the clinics myself?

I'll definitely do that...there's one case I still remember from my first time (a critical patient I had some involvement with) that's stuck with me, even though it ended in euthanasia.

Does anyone thing there's credence in calling clinics to see if they allow shadows? I can't go out today, but would calling around to get an idea be a good preliminary or should I just wait until I can visit the clinics myself?

It's easier for them to say "no" over the phone than it is in person. I'd reccomend waiting until you can go.

in my experience id wait to visit yourself. secretaries are infamous for turning away people. i also sent a cover letter and 1 page resume to all of the vets, addressed specifically to their name. and i got 2 calls back out of 10 letters. you just need to push ur way into contact with the vets themselves because thats usually your only chance of being accepted

My mom was the same way, which is why I finished out my first degree in CS at all. I felt like it wasn't worth arguing with her, so I'd get the degree just to show her I could, and then I'd be all on my own so then I could do whatever. She couldn't be prouder now, though. I think it just takes doing things rather than just saying things.

It's easier for them to say "no" over the phone than it is in person. I'd reccomend waiting until you can go.

in my experience id wait to visit yourself. secretaries are infamous for turning away people. i also sent a cover letter and 1 page resume to all of the vets, addressed specifically to their name. and i got 2 calls back out of 10 letters. you just need to push ur way into contact with the vets themselves because thats usually your only chance of being accepted

I'll definitely wait. It'll be Monday before I can go, I think - not too long but it gives me a chance to finalize my resume, etc. I never thought about making a cover letter...hmm, I might have to do that if I can power-through my homework. Thanks guys! :love: It just seems like so long to wait. I might be able to do it Friday morning...

My mom was the same way, which is why I finished out my first degree in CS at all. I felt like it wasn't worth arguing with her, so I'd get the degree just to show her I could, and then I'd be all on my own so then I could do whatever. She couldn't be prouder now, though. I think it just takes doing things rather than just saying things.

I just...nursing is such a "hands-on" degree and while I like hands-on, I really don't like touching people in such an intimate way. If it was just straight classes I'd be fine finishing the degree, but there's no guarantee if me getting into a nursing program because my GPA is so horrible (3.015 now), so I could potentially finish my biology degree before even making it in to nursing school. It's gonna be an uphill battle just to get into veterinary school if possible at all (gonna have to supplement with amazing last45GPA along with high GRE and tons of diverse experience).

I just...nursing is such a "hands-on" degree and while I like hands-on, I really don't like touching people in such an intimate way. If it was just straight classes I'd be fine finishing the degree

Oh I'm certainly not saying you should do what I did to the letter. Personally, I knew that I wouldn't have her support if I changed degrees again and in my individual case I felt like that was the best way of letting my actions speak louder than my words.

What I am saying is that if you say you're going to do something, you need to follow through on it. That's the only way that she is going to "get" that you are serious about it and that it isn't just another idea that you'll abandon. You might have to do it without her support at first.

Oh I'm certainly not saying you should do what I did to the letter. Personally, I knew that I wouldn't have her support if I changed degrees again and in my individual case I felt like that was the best way of letting my actions speak louder than my words.

What I am saying is that if you say you're going to do something, you need to follow through on it. That's the only way that she is going to "get" that you are serious about it and that it isn't just another idea that you'll abandon. You might have to do it without her support at first.

:oops: As long as the critiques are in (and as long as the majority are in) and my resume's fixed up, I'll go out Friday morning. I'm in school all day tomorrow and I've got tons of homework to do today, so I can't do it today...but I'll go out Friday armed with a list of addresses (and my handy-dandy GPS, wa-hoo) and see what I can find. Since gas is an issue, I'll start with the closest and go out farther. Only have like two hours to do so, since my mom gets home early and I'm /not/ sure I want her to find out until I've got a shadowing gig - it'll be a lot easier to say "oh, Mom, I have this-and-this-and-this now, okay? Thanks." than to say "I'm searching for opportunities and may or may not get one."

Any tips on getting over nervousness? I'm somewhat shy and this terrifies me. Which is good, because I want it enough to go over that.

Any tips on getting over nervousness? I'm somewhat shy and this terrifies me. Which is good, because I want it enough to go over that.

"The way you overcome shyness is to become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid." -Lady Bird Johnson

I'm extremely shy and this quote helped me a lot with getting through the whole process. I want to be a veterinarian, and I was willing to make myself a little uncomfortable to make that happen. Sounds like you're feeling the same way, which is awesome! It really helped for me to rehearse what I wanted to say first. Also make sure to "dress for success," it will help you to feel more confident. Smile a lot, be extremely polite, and if you stutter, don't be afraid to stop and collect your thoughts. Good luck!

It really helped for me to rehearse what I wanted to say first. Also make sure to "dress for success," it will help you to feel more confident. Smile a lot, be extremely polite, and if you stutter, don't be afraid to stop and collect your thoughts. Good luck!

Ditto about the rehearsing. I rehearse when I call someone I don't know for the first time (maybe two), and I did when I went in to clinics last summer for the first time to ask for the opportunity to shadow/volunteer.

Dressing for success will help as well. First, it might help you to feel more confident since you look nice (at least it helps me feel that way), and second, it will give the impression that you are serious about what you are asking.

Good luck!!

Allthingsequine, I love that quote. I'm gonna put it on my wall or something so I see it every day.

I'll definitely rehearse...I've got some spare time between classes tomorrow and I can focus on it. What do I say? Something along the lines of "I'm a college student interested in veterinary medicine as a career and is there any way I can talk to the veterinarian when they are not busy about the possibility of shadowing?"

Ditto about the rehearsing. I rehearse when I call someone I don't know for the first time (maybe two), and I did when I went in to clinics last summer for the first time to ask for the opportunity to shadow/volunteer.

Dressing for success will help as well. First, it might help you to feel more confident since you look nice (at least it helps me feel that way), and second, it will give the impression that you are serious about what you are asking.

Good luck!!

I wear my favorite shoes/earrings whenever I need to step out of my comfort-zone. I'm a pretty introverted person, so I really have to get in the right mood to be super confident and friendly. When I was going to clinics to ask them to shadow I also rehearsed in the car on the way there, it really helped set the mood and made sure I knew what I wanted to say!

I think you just need to relax and don't assume they're going to say no. Assume that they're going to say YES! :) If you walk in there confidently and keep thinking in your mind that they're going to say yes, it might make you feel less nervous. The truth is they won't all say yes, but if you go in expecting a rejection, it'll just make you more anxious. Maybe they really don't have room for you at the moment, but they likely won't be mean to you about it, and a lot of vets and vet practices LIKE it when people want to get into the field. In my experience, they're very helpful and they enjoy helping people get experience.

I think the best thing to combat shyness and nervousness is a big, happy SMILE. Seriously...it sounds corny but I think if you take a deep breath and walk in with a bright smile on your face and greet the receptionists with a cheery "hi!" when you walk in, it will do a lot to make them feel more at ease. Once they give you a smile and a hello back, you'll probably feel that much more comfortable. I'm nervous talking to strangers too, and I find that if I pretend that I'm not nervous (smile, talk clearly and loudly but slowly, greet people with a firm and confident handshake) it actually kind of tricks my brain into thinking that I'm not nervous! And if you start stuttering or tripping over your words, just stop, take a breath, smile again (I swear it does wonders) and start again but slower and clearer. I promise you the people you're talking to won't even notice that you started to falter.

I made a list of all the places close to me and I actually just called them. I told myself I would call 5 places a week - almost all just took messages to give the vet later - then follow up a few days later to check on whether I could shadow. I ended up finding someone to shadow with at the first place I called! So don't be so negative about it. Some people will say no, but I'm guessing you won't have a huge problem finding a shadowing experience. If you were trying to get a job it might be different, but shadowing is generally easier to come by.

Also I second the suggestion of bringing a notebook to write things down in. I didn't do that at the first clinic I shadowed at (2 years ago), and when it came time to write my personal statement I couldn't remember any exciting cases. It's good for interviews but also fabulous to include some real case knowledge in your personal statement, even if it's just anecdotes about cases that really affected you.

As a side note, I did find that a lot of the clinics that I called didn't have weekend hours so I couldn't shadow on Saturdays (which is what would have fit in better with my work schedule). I was forced to take time off of work to fit in the shadowing. Maybe you'll get lucky and find clinics that have weekend hours, but if you don't, you might want to think about how you could fit in shadowing during the week with your class schedule.

Also I second the suggestion of bringing a notebook to write things down in. I didn't do that at the first clinic I shadowed at (2 years ago), and when it came time to write my personal statement I couldn't remember any exciting cases. It's good for interviews but also fabulous to include some real case knowledge in your personal statement, even if it's just anecdotes about cases that really affected you.

An alternative to this is keeping an excel spreadsheet. I have it broken down into date, start time, end time, total duration, vet's name, and what happened. Having it separated by vet allows me to add up the total hours as well as the hours I've spent at each clinic (since I'm shadowing at two right now... just use the "sumif" function, it's super easy). You could also separate it by SA, LA, equine, etc. In fact, I wish I'd thought of this when I was making my spreadsheet. I was about 8 months too late for that one.

Last edited:
Well, it's set up. I've got eight clinics to visit tomorrow with an edited resume (which I'll finish up tonight, hopefully).

If those eight clinics won't take me, I've got eight more to visit next week, I think. If they won't, I can find more, I think.

Just gotta think positive! I'll let you guys know what happens. :)

Well, it's set up. I've got eight clinics to visit tomorrow with an edited resume (which I'll finish up tonight, hopefully).

If those eight clinics won't take me, I've got eight more to visit next week, I think. If they won't, I can find more, I think.

Just gotta think positive! I'll let you guys know what happens. :)

Don't forget to look into shelters as well, for volunteer opportunities.

You could also separate it by SA, LA, equine, etc. In fact, I wish I'd thought of this when I was making my spreadsheet.

i kept a word document that had my experience separated by type (LA, Zoo, Equine, Exotics, etc). It was EXTREMELY helpful for supplementals that asked specifically about my experience.

Don't forget to look into shelters as well, for volunteer opportunities.

I would, but unfortunately, the lone shelter in my area is a half-hour drive and I just can't waste that much gas. I may consider it if nothing else takes me, but...it's 50-some dollars every two weeks to pay gas just for going to school and back. The half-hour drive in a minivan would kill me.

Edit: I'm done already! First clinic (where I take my pets) the head vet was going into surgery, but the receptionist came back and told me she'd be more than willing to make an appointment next week to talk about stuff. So I'm about 90% sure that'll turn into a shadowing gig - if she didn't allow shadowing she would've said no, methinks. If it doesn't, I've still got my list and my resumes and I can keep going. It's also the closest clinic and I'm estatic!

Last edited:
I did exactly what you guys suggested. =) Went in with a smile (was the only way I could convince myself/give myself enough confidence to move), was polite, waited, was patient, etc. I'll dress up again next week to meet with the vet - do you think I should bring a resume, too? :luck: I'm so nervous but so excited!

I did exactly what you guys suggested. =) Went in with a smile (was the only way I could convince myself/give myself enough confidence to move), was polite, waited, was patient, etc. I'll dress up again next week to meet with the vet - do you think I should bring a resume, too? :luck: I'm so nervous but so excited!

Hooray! Good luck!

I don't think it would hurt anything to bring copies of your resume and offer them.

Stay positive and wear a smile. I have lots of phone anxiety, but while working as a receptionist, I learned that if I answered the phone with a smile, I came across as very friendly and warm (and I just felt more positive).

Hooray! Good luck!

I don't think it would hurt anything to bring copies of your resume and offer them.

Stay positive and wear a smile. I have lots of phone anxiety, but while working as a receptionist, I learned that if I answered the phone with a smile, I came across as very friendly and warm (and I just felt more positive).

She actually just called (I was astounded)! While she can't offer a full-time shadowing gig, she talked to me a lot about how she got experience, what she did, etc, promised to call me when a job opens up there and told me to let her know when I was applying and needed a vet LOR because she'd be happy to write me one. We've been going to that clinic for 15 years now, I think.

She recommended just asking for a job, so I think that's what I'll go for - a part-time job. So Monday (I'm busy rest of today) I'll go out and around to clinics to see if anyone will hire me. Things are so much easier now that I've got one clinic under my belt that had a fantastic outcome. :love: Hopefully Monday will be just as good!

She actually just called (I was astounded)! While she can't offer a full-time shadowing gig, she talked to me a lot about how she got experience, what she did, etc, promised to call me when a job opens up there and told me to let her know when I was applying and needed a vet LOR because she'd be happy to write me one. We've been going to that clinic for 15 years now, I think.

She recommended just asking for a job, so I think that's what I'll go for - a part-time job. So Monday (I'm busy rest of today) I'll go out and around to clinics to see if anyone will hire me. Things are so much easier now that I've got one clinic under my belt that had a fantastic outcome. :love: Hopefully Monday will be just as good!

Well, good. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you.

Asking for a job is also not a bad idea. There are some good thoughts on that in this thread, which you might have already read.

I definitely 2nd the finding a job! I recently started a job just working in the kennels at a large vet's office even though I'm overqualified and the pay is bad. My manager already talks about making me a vet assistant, and the vet/owner of the practice has invited me to peruse his schedule and come in for any surgeries I want to see! Once you have a reason to hang around the office-- even if it's just scooping the poop-- you'll find your way into shadowing and learning a ton.

I definitely 2nd the finding a job! I recently started a job just working in the kennels at a large vet's office even though I'm overqualified and the pay is bad. My manager already talks about making me a vet assistant, and the vet/owner of the practice has invited me to peruse his schedule and come in for any surgeries I want to see! Once you have a reason to hang around the office-- even if it's just scooping the poop-- you'll find your way into shadowing and learning a ton.

I'm just worried I won't be able to handle it with academics. I'm taking an unusually heavy load, but if I want to apply anytime soon I need to start getting experience now. So I'm hoping someone will want to take me on part-time for maybe nightshifts or something.

I'm just worried I won't be able to handle it with academics. I'm taking an unusually heavy load, but if I want to apply anytime soon I need to start getting experience now. So I'm hoping someone will want to take me on part-time for maybe nightshifts or something.

Be careful with nightshifts, you will really need your sleep! I've been working one weekend-day (to be honest sometimes 2 because I need the money) and one or two afternoons a week. Since I have morning classes, I'm just at work while some of my friends are in class, then I come home to study at night.

It of course is going to be more stressful than not having an extra commitment, but it has helped my planning and not-procrastinating skills.

Be careful with nightshifts, you will really need your sleep! I've been working one weekend-day (to be honest sometimes 2 because I need the money) and one or two afternoons a week. Since I have morning classes, I'm just at work while some of my friends are in class, then I come home to study at night.

It of course is going to be more stressful than not having an extra commitment, but it has helped my planning and not-procrastinating skills.

I'm really hoping that being in the environment boosts my morale. I get so down at home because I don't/can't talk to anyone about it (my siblings would tell my mom and I'm not ready to tell her yet). I'm really hoping I like it tons and it helps me feel a little better.

it's really important that your LOR's can address several different aspects when applying -- your experience in and out of the field, personality, work ethic, dedication to the field, you as a student, community/club involvement, etc. you don't just want a letter from a vet to fulfill a requirement, so make sure if you get a rec from her that it would be beneficial to your application.