CRNA Direct entry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captaindargo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any of this type of programs

Members don't see this ad.

Go to allnurses.com. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Seriously, you can really good CRNA program info on that BB. These kind of threads get ugly fast over here. :D

There are a few directly entry MSN programs that will technically offer a conditional spot in their CRNA program. They will still require you to have at minimum one year of critical care nursing experience before they let you apply or proceed to CRNA training. The one year is an AANA requirement.

Would you really want someone practicing anesthesiology on you that had never set foot into a patient care setting. Not trying to hate on your question because I tend to think the same way but just think about what it would mean if there wasn't the year of critical care requirment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then why does Columbia and Georgetown offer direct entry CRNA... I'm not apply to any CRNA programs... just curious if there's more then two... I'm premed...

These direct entry programs admit you. You then work in a critical care setting while you take some basic sciences from what I hear. A direct entry program that would not include critical care work would simply take a lay person off the street that has no clue and allow them to admin anesthesia. Believe me as a GN you know nothing and your critical thinking skills are marginal at best. Get your experience 1-2yrs then apply. I will help you so much more in the clinical arena I promise you. It will also increase the # of programs you can apply to by a huge amt.

Actually I'd highly recommend no less than 4 yrs of critical care experience, unless you are working in a very large (preferrably academic) medical center, then you might be OK with 2 yrs of experience, but I know I wouldn't want someone with no experience other than what they had in school responsible for my care while under anesthesia.

captaindargo said:
Then why does Columbia and Georgetown offer direct entry CRNA... I'm not apply to any CRNA programs... just curious if there's more then two... I'm premed...

Call them up or read the fine print. You will still have to have one year of critical year experience as an RN before they let you in any clinical CRNA class. The one year is a requirement of AANA for accreditation.