Cross tapering between antipsychotics?

Started by ryerica22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ryerica22

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I was wondering is it absolutely necessary to cross taper antipsychotics? I'm moonlighting in an inpatient setting and seeing a patient on Risperdal 4 mg BID. I want to switch pt to Zyprexa to minimize chances of EPS. Can I just drop the dose of Risperdal by 1 mg BID each day while I'm increasing his zyprexa?

It's this kind of stuff that I don't miss in outpatient clinic as a PGY3.

Thanks
 
Sure you can do that. In an inpatient setting, I go much faster unless there's a compelling reason not to. You only get so much time, so I'd rather maximize time on the treatment I intend to make as sure as I can that it's efficacious and tolerated.

Separately, I wouldn't switch effective risperdal treatment because of concern for EPS unless the patient has EPS or significant history of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad