crossing to the dark side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyrase

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY-2 resident in surgery, and am strongly considering switching to anesthesia. My anesthesia colleagues are generally happy and emphasis is placed on education, whereas my experience has been the polar opposite. After my rotation in the SICU under anesthesia attendings and after speaking with several residents and staff, I think that anesthesia is where I need to be.

Have any of you guys made similar jumps? How have surgery converts worked in you programs? Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

gyrase said:
I am currently a PGY-2 resident in surgery, and am strongly considering switching to anesthesia. My anesthesia colleagues are generally happy and emphasis is placed on education, whereas my experience has been the polar opposite. After my rotation in the SICU under anesthesia attendings and after speaking with several residents and staff, I think that anesthesia is where I need to be.

Have any of you guys made similar jumps? How have surgery converts worked in you programs? Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).

At UVa, the medical director of the OR finished his surgical residency before he switched....that is one way of not burning bridges.

gyrase said:
Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).

Just explain to your program director about how your feeling. Tell him honestly that you are not interested in surgery any more. WHy would you burn bridges? Thats allowed. You can become disinterested and it shouldnt have any reflection on him. And even if it does burn bridges, what can he possibly do to harm you if you are not even interested in surgery anymore. Nothing. There is absolutely no reason to finish out your surgical residency if you are not interested in becoming a surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
davvid2700 said:
Just explain to your program director about how your feeling. Tell him honestly that you are not interested in surgery any more. WHy would you burn bridges? Thats allowed. You can become disinterested and it shouldnt have any reflection on him. And even if it does burn bridges, what can he possibly do to harm you if you are not even interested in surgery anymore. Nothing. There is absolutely no reason to finish out your surgical residency if you are not interested in becoming a surgeon.

You are pretty much going to have to burn bridges on this deal, no way around it. But, since you dont want to be a surgeon, why are you concerned? Just dont ever let your Surgery PD be in a position where you need him to pay your salary :laugh:

I switched out of a categorical spot in Gen Surgery after my 2nd year. I told my PD that I wanted to leave in February of my 2nd year. He was very happy for me, and somewhat sad that I was leaving.

But he helped me find another spot by writing a great LOR. I say you be honest, and tell the truth. You will need your PD's help when finding a new spot.

pazzer2 said:
I switched out of a categorical spot in Gen Surgery after my 2nd year. I told my PD that I wanted to leave in February of my 2nd year. He was very happy for me, and somewhat sad that I was leaving.

But he helped me find another spot by writing a great LOR. I say you be honest, and tell the truth. You will need your PD's help when finding a new spot.

2 guys switched into anesth from surgery during my residency and I don't think there were ant hard feelings. I think it would be ideal if you could get into the program at the hosp that you are currently at.

I thought surgery was the dark side... : )
The people I know that have made the move from surgery have done well and haven't been hated or anything by the surgery folks. Make sure to be up front about things once they are in the works. I would talk to the residency director of our anesthesia department. They will most likely give you some advice on timing of announcements to your current program director. And if they're advising you and ****e hits the fan, some of it can land on them and not you.

Thanks for the input. This is truly a difficult decision to make, and I appreciate your comments.