crossing to the dark side

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by gyrase, Nov 24, 2005.

1. gyrase

gyrase New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently a PGY-2 resident in surgery, and am strongly considering switching to anesthesia. My anesthesia colleagues are generally happy and emphasis is placed on education, whereas my experience has been the polar opposite. After my rotation in the SICU under anesthesia attendings and after speaking with several residents and staff, I think that anesthesia is where I need to be.

Have any of you guys made similar jumps? How have surgery converts worked in you programs? Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).

2. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At UVa, the medical director of the OR finished his surgical residency before he switched....that is one way of not burning bridges.

3. davvid2700

davvid2700 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Just explain to your program director about how your feeling. Tell him honestly that you are not interested in surgery any more. WHy would you burn bridges? Thats allowed. You can become disinterested and it shouldnt have any reflection on him. And even if it does burn bridges, what can he possibly do to harm you if you are not even interested in surgery anymore. Nothing. There is absolutely no reason to finish out your surgical residency if you are not interested in becoming a surgeon.

4. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are pretty much going to have to burn bridges on this deal, no way around it. But, since you dont want to be a surgeon, why are you concerned? Just dont ever let your Surgery PD be in a position where you need him to pay your salary :laugh:

5. pazzer2

pazzer2 Member
    10+ Year Member

I switched out of a categorical spot in Gen Surgery after my 2nd year. I told my PD that I wanted to leave in February of my 2nd year. He was very happy for me, and somewhat sad that I was leaving.

But he helped me find another spot by writing a great LOR. I say you be honest, and tell the truth. You will need your PD's help when finding a new spot.

6. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

2 guys switched into anesth from surgery during my residency and I don't think there were ant hard feelings. I think it would be ideal if you could get into the program at the hosp that you are currently at.

7. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone done the reverse switch (anesthesiology to surgery)?

8. seattledoc

seattledoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I thought surgery was the dark side... : )
    The people I know that have made the move from surgery have done well and haven't been hated or anything by the surgery folks. Make sure to be up front about things once they are in the works. I would talk to the residency director of our anesthesia department. They will most likely give you some advice on timing of announcements to your current program director. And if they're advising you and ****e hits the fan, some of it can land on them and not you.

9. gyrase

gyrase New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the input. This is truly a difficult decision to make, and I appreciate your comments.