gyrase

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
2
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am currently a PGY-2 resident in surgery, and am strongly considering switching to anesthesia. My anesthesia colleagues are generally happy and emphasis is placed on education, whereas my experience has been the polar opposite. After my rotation in the SICU under anesthesia attendings and after speaking with several residents and staff, I think that anesthesia is where I need to be.

Have any of you guys made similar jumps? How have surgery converts worked in you programs? Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).
 

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
5,889
20
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
gyrase said:
I am currently a PGY-2 resident in surgery, and am strongly considering switching to anesthesia. My anesthesia colleagues are generally happy and emphasis is placed on education, whereas my experience has been the polar opposite. After my rotation in the SICU under anesthesia attendings and after speaking with several residents and staff, I think that anesthesia is where I need to be.

Have any of you guys made similar jumps? How have surgery converts worked in you programs? Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).

At UVa, the medical director of the OR finished his surgical residency before he switched....that is one way of not burning bridges.
 

davvid2700

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2005
348
0
44
Status (Visible)
gyrase said:
Any tips in making the switch (i.e how to change without burning bridges, etc.).


Just explain to your program director about how your feeling. Tell him honestly that you are not interested in surgery any more. WHy would you burn bridges? Thats allowed. You can become disinterested and it shouldnt have any reflection on him. And even if it does burn bridges, what can he possibly do to harm you if you are not even interested in surgery anymore. Nothing. There is absolutely no reason to finish out your surgical residency if you are not interested in becoming a surgeon.
 
About the Ads

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
8,362
18
Here
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
davvid2700 said:
Just explain to your program director about how your feeling. Tell him honestly that you are not interested in surgery any more. WHy would you burn bridges? Thats allowed. You can become disinterested and it shouldnt have any reflection on him. And even if it does burn bridges, what can he possibly do to harm you if you are not even interested in surgery anymore. Nothing. There is absolutely no reason to finish out your surgical residency if you are not interested in becoming a surgeon.

You are pretty much going to have to burn bridges on this deal, no way around it. But, since you dont want to be a surgeon, why are you concerned? Just dont ever let your Surgery PD be in a position where you need him to pay your salary :laugh:
 

pazzer2

Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
51
36
Status (Visible)
I switched out of a categorical spot in Gen Surgery after my 2nd year. I told my PD that I wanted to leave in February of my 2nd year. He was very happy for me, and somewhat sad that I was leaving.

But he helped me find another spot by writing a great LOR. I say you be honest, and tell the truth. You will need your PD's help when finding a new spot.
 
Jun 20, 2005
8,013
2,795
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
pazzer2 said:
I switched out of a categorical spot in Gen Surgery after my 2nd year. I told my PD that I wanted to leave in February of my 2nd year. He was very happy for me, and somewhat sad that I was leaving.

But he helped me find another spot by writing a great LOR. I say you be honest, and tell the truth. You will need your PD's help when finding a new spot.


2 guys switched into anesth from surgery during my residency and I don't think there were ant hard feelings. I think it would be ideal if you could get into the program at the hosp that you are currently at.
 

seattledoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
177
0
51
seattle
Status (Visible)
I thought surgery was the dark side... : )
The people I know that have made the move from surgery have done well and haven't been hated or anything by the surgery folks. Make sure to be up front about things once they are in the works. I would talk to the residency director of our anesthesia department. They will most likely give you some advice on timing of announcements to your current program director. And if they're advising you and ****e hits the fan, some of it can land on them and not you.
 

gyrase

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
2
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the input. This is truly a difficult decision to make, and I appreciate your comments.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.