Crown Prep Margins (redhotchiligochu is BAAAACK!!) :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am back from a 1 year hiatus. Life, dental school, dating, and unwanted stalkers got me to involuntarily give up SDN for a while. Good, right?

So far, I've been acing all the preclinical work, especially on the practicals (scoring consistently in the 90s with class average ~70s). However, I've noticed that my margins haven't been as smooth as I like it to be, especially for FGC's and lingual aspect of PFM's. I've been using the slow speed with a chamfer to smooth it out some, but those typodont resin crumbles subgingivally. Interestingly, I haven't been having this issue with heavy shoulder margins. Could it be my aggressive technique, dull bur, or low quality typodonts being used? It's a nitpicky issue since margin smoothness is the only thing I'm being docked off on practicals, but I'd like to resolve this. Also, any comparisons between typodont and actual teeth is welcome, since I'm REALLY looking forward to kicking ass during clinicals :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Natural teeth cut much cleaner, it's totally different. With the Typodont teeth you just need to use an incredibly steady hand. Sometimes I would use my off hand on the handpiece as well to steady it. In general, the less you do the better. Remember that you want to do depth cuts and 3-4 spots on the buccal and lingual, and then combine them with back and forth motions.

Reactions: 1 users