Crush vs FA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finished my step 1 last week - moving to the step 2 forum now:)

I like telling people to use the "search" button when they post questions about things that have been discussed to death on the forum. And I am always very careful to do a proper research of the available resources before I post myself. And I did a search for the best-regarded resource for Step 2 CK a couple of weeks ago - which returned Crush and Secrets as the top rated resources. I am not a huge fan of bullet-like style of Secrets, so I got the Crush on Amazon last week. And now, browsing through posts I discover that FA is also recommended quite often (the posts that my search returned mentioned that FA for Step 2 is not anywhere near as useful as FA for Step 1, and some sections, like cardiology, are just plain poor there). Then, lord jeebus says that the Crush Step 2 is rubbish and suggests getting Secrets to another poster recently. I am confused. Does Crush cover all necessary material for Step 2? Or, should I get FA as well? Or, considering I have been practicing medicine in the UK for the last three years anyway, should I just do UW a couple of times? What do you think, guys? Please, help!

Also, is there a free QBank for Step 2, like the one that Lippincott provides for Step 1?

Thanks, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if I'd call Crush rubbish. I didn't like it though.

It depends on what your goal is. If you just need to pass either Crush or Secrets (which are basically the same book in different format) would be great.

In my case, my school makes me take the test before ERAS opens, so I wanted a higher score. For this purpose, First Aid and Boards & Wards contain more information and were more useful for me. This also means they take more time to go through.

Since you've been practicing medicine already, you'll probably find a lot of the questions easy.

Lastly, USMLEWorld is far and away the most useful preparation tool for this test -- the review book is just gravy.

I am not aware of any free question banks for Step II.

In my case, my school makes me take the test before ERAS opens, so I wanted a higher score. For this purpose, First Aid and Boards & Wards contain more information and were more useful for me. This also means they take more time to go through.

Since you've been practicing medicine already, you'll probably find a lot of the questions easy.

Lastly, USMLEWorld is far and away the most useful preparation tool for this test -- the review book is just gravy.

I am not aware of any free question banks for Step II.

Hey Jeebus, any idea where I can buy the USMLEWorld book you're referring to? I browsed through the UWorld website, but couldn't find it. Just some mention of a Step 2 CS book. I remember seeing a resident carry around USMLEWorld Step 3 book once.

I've been holding off on getting the FA Step 2 CK since I already have StepUp to Medicine as well as a couple of blueprints (planning to get UWorld qbank later). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jeebus, any idea where I can buy the USMLEWorld book you're referring to? I browsed through the UWorld website, but couldn't find it. Just some mention of a Step 2 CS book. I remember seeing a resident carry around USMLEWorld Step 3 book once.

I've been holding off on getting the FA Step 2 CK since I already have StepUp to Medicine as well as a couple of blueprints (planning to get UWorld qbank later). Thanks!

i dont think he was speaking of a usmle world book, i think he was talking about fa/crush :)

I was talking about the popular question bank.