CS before CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reperfused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
If anyone of you (especially IMGs) took CS before CK and felt that reading certain topics of CK while preparing for CS would have helped (or did) more, then please share.

I’m an IMG with an average Step 1 score and my CS exam is in less than 2 months. I would appreciate any guidance on the above topic.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IMG and took CS about 3 weeks after step 1. The only aspect of CK that would've helped is differentials and investigations. The complaints are usually bread and butter, but assessing potential diagnoses and justifying them can be challenging. You're preparing for that just by virtue of studying for CK.

But tbh, it's ultimately an acting exam with a typing speed component. The knowledge aspect is all there in step 1 material. The only way to do well is to practice everything repeatedly in a timed setting. Don't sweat the knowledge part too much, just make sure you take a couple weeks and get everything else down. You'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an IMG and took CS about 3 weeks after step 1. The only aspect of CK that would've helped is differentials and investigations. The complaints are usually bread and butter, but assessing potential diagnoses and justifying them can be challenging. You're preparing for that just by virtue of studying for CK.

But tbh, it's ultimately an acting exam with a typing speed component. The knowledge aspect is all there in step 1 material. The only way to do well is to practice everything repeatedly in a timed setting. Don't sweat the knowledge part too much, just make sure you take a couple weeks and get everything else down. You'll be okay.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I am taking CS before CK and was kind of anxious about making this decision, but your words of encouragement provided a lot of relief. Thanks