CS eligibility question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawliet2008

Nobody mess with Adam We
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. And this might be a basic question, but again, I didn't have time to do as much research as I would have liked...hence why I'm here.

I'm an IMG, and I want to take CS in Feb so that scores would come out in time for me to finish my application in Sept 2013. However, I don't finish basic med sciences (I'm assuming they mean Med, Surgery, O&G, and Peds) until July when we graduate. Can I still apply, or do I have to wait until we graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe AMGs can take it as soon as they've passed Step I, not sure if it is different for you. Ask one of your school admins.

I guess you are talking about Match. Cuz unless I am mistaken you need a ECFMG token to apply to ERAS. And ECFMG does NOT give tokens to IMG's until you qualify.

You need all Steps, and be certified by your school. Is your school going to certify you for graduation W/O completing any of those cores?????? I believe you have to be released/cleared by your school for graduation before they allow you to get your ECFMG token for ERAS. And I'm sure you need your school's diploma to qualify.

First Aid sez you can take Step 2's as long as you are MS3. But w/o ECFMG certification for ERAS, you CAN NOT enter Match.

I guess you are talking about Match. Cuz unless I am mistaken you need a ECFMG token to apply to ERAS. And ECFMG does NOT give tokens to IMG's until you qualify.

You need all Steps, and be certified by your school. Is your school going to certify you for graduation W/O completing any of those cores?????? I believe you have to be released/cleared by your school for graduation before they allow you to get your ECFMG token for ERAS. And I'm sure you need your school's diploma to qualify.

First Aid sez you can take Step 2's as long as you are MS3. But w/o ECFMG certification for ERAS, you CAN NOT enter Match.

Thank you for your reply, but I don't think you understood my question. When I was applying to take Step 2 CS through ECFMG, there's a question that asks whether or not I've completed the "basic medical sciences". I couldn't find a definition of what they meant by this term, but I'm guessing it means Med, Surg, O&G, Peds. I just wanted to know if:

1. I assumed wrong, and "basic medical sciences" actually means Anatomy, Physio, etc.,

or

2. I assumed right, and I have to wait until I graduate before I can take step 2 CS. (I really wanted to take that exam in Feb during the semester break so that the scores would come out in time for me to complete my application for next year's match).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply, but I don't think you understood my question. When I was applying to take Step 2 CS through ECFMG, there's a question that asks whether or not I've completed the "basic medical sciences". I couldn't find a definition of what they meant by this term, but I'm guessing it means Med, Surg, O&G, Peds. I just wanted to know if:

1. I assumed wrong, and "basic medical sciences" actually means Anatomy, Physio, etc.,

or

2. I assumed right, and I have to wait until I graduate before I can take step 2 CS. (I really wanted to take that exam in Feb during the semester break so that the scores would come out in time for me to complete my application for next year's match).

I think #1 is correct, and I know #2 is wrong--thousands of senior foreign medical students participate in the Match each year, and they have to have passed both parts of Step 2 to do so.

Looking at this page, they say that you must have finished your school's "basic medical science" curriculum, and they suggest you complete the core clerkships as well before testing. To me that indicates you are only required to have completed the preclinical curriculum.

I think #1 is correct, and I know #2 is wrong--thousands of senior foreign medical students participate in the Match each year, and they have to have passed both parts of Step 2 to do so.

Looking at this page, they say that you must have finished your school's "basic medical science" curriculum, and they suggest you complete the core clerkships as well before testing. To me that indicates you are only required to have completed the preclinical curriculum.

I think you're right. Thanks a lot for your help!