CS exam question (vitals)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPruitt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a third year AMG who just took CS. I have been panicking since I walked out of the room. I made many mistakes but the biggest thing is that I did not document vital signs in my patient notes. Has anyone else ever made this mistake?
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I am a third year AMG who just took CS. I have been panicking since I walked out of the room. I made many mistakes but the biggest thing is that I did not document vital signs in my patient notes. Has anyone else ever made this mistake?
Thank you!!
Don't panic yet, there is more to your note than vitals. It may effect you more if the vitals were abnormal, but either way the grading is so vague that it can go either way in terms of how much it would effect your score! There are stories about people messing up patient notes in other ways and still passing.

It was a good idea to take it early. I know people who have, but matched at top IM programs from lower tier places regardless (albeit they didn’t release scores). Waiting is so tough and the 2 month wait was one of the longest ones I’ve ever had to endure in my life including MCAT/Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I’m definitely glad to have it over, but that was the most stressful 6 weeks of my life. I was convinced I had failed and ruined my career.

Hi guys: freaking out about CS exam! can anyone tell me what they think
Mistakes:
-First room ran out of time... i was in the middle of closing and i just said "it was nice to meet you" and walked out
-Worst mistake i think is that for most encounters I put only two ddx. I just didn't have enough supporting factors for most of them to write a third and I had read in so many forums that is worse to put a ddx with evidence than to not write anything. Some of the complaints were so vague I couldn't just put a third ddx without enough supporting factors
-Another room completely messed up dx. I just blank on the anatomical name and ended up writing something completely different. I just can't believe I did that
-Another room didn't ask important questions that would have led me to a third and probably more likely diagnosis.
-Last case I swear on my life I had no clue what the guy had. He literally answered NO to all my ROS questions. Like I wanna believe that was an experimental case or something.
- I forgot to do a cardiac exam in someone with cardiac symptoms( i know, brain fart) She just had way too many complaints and I was rushing it because I was gonna run out of time.

What I did right:
-Smiled, show a lot of empathy.
-Washed my hand, counselled in most of them( i think i missed one cousenlling)
-Try to answer the challenging questions as good as I could
-Offer water to pt coughing
-Did PE to the best of my abilities
-Notes I think werent too bad other than the fact that most only had 2 ddx
-I asked Obgyn hx to Females pts, I CAGE drinking pts

Im freaking out so much! i can't believe I have to wait until June. This is the first time I post in a forum, thats how stressed out I am. Any thoughts???

It’s impossible to know, but from what you’ve written I think you will pass. I did many of those things and some other mistakes and I passed with nothing in the borderline area. I know how awful the wait is, but just remember most people who feel like they failed actually passed!

Reactions: 1 user
It’s impossible to know, but from what you’ve written I think you will pass. I did many of those things and some other mistakes and I passed with nothing in the borderline area. I know how awful the wait is, but just remember most people who feel like they failed actually passed!
hey, thank you for the reply. Yeah the waiting is the worst part. I keep having flashbacks to the exam and the thing I did wrong. Its going to be a long 2 months!