CS Questioning Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshKetchum260P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these questions have probably been asked one too many times, but please bear with me.
1. I am currently going through the FA Practice cases with a partner. My issue is I am trying to ask my questions in a way that allows the SP to answer regardless if I have specified the exact complaint. (Example: I ask: Do you have problems going to the bathroom? Rather than do you have urinary problems? Do you have bowel problems? Or worse yet... Do you have pain/blood/etc.) Naturally if the SP answers in the positive I will delve deeper but will that suffice on the exam or should I be specific in my questioning?

2. Does asking a patient if he/she has any diagnosed medical illnesses or previous medical diseases suffice or do I need to ask for specific diseases that may affect the DDx if the patient answers in the negative?

3. The physical exam portion of FA seems to be assuming I have far more time than I do or that I will be performing the Speed Racer physical examination. One case has me doing CV/Lung/Abdomen/Neuro and none of them cursory, in addition to the history. I assume the real deal, requires a more focused approach?

I appreciate any input you could offer. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. You are not being scored on the questions you ask or how you ask them. You're scored on the info you write in the HPI, so just ask whatever questions you feel are necessary to evaluate the CC.

2. It should suffice to ask a general PMHx question. If you suspect something might be due to HTN/DM/etc then it doesn't hurt to specifically ask if they have that.

3. FA is way too broad. You won't have time to do a full neuro exam unless the CC is neuro in nature, and then that's pretty much the only PE you'll do. I didn't check things unless indicated by the CC.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the answer. My mind constantly comes up with weird worst case scenarios so it is refreshing to hear something reassuring.