cs results late....??Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susanm228

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about being withdrawn from the Match because the CS results are not in - sorry if this has been covered somewhere else. I'm an Irish IMG and I'm going to three IM residency interviews in the next two weeks (Boston and Vermont). I'm taking the CS on Jan 30th and just read that they won't be reported on until March, which will eliminate me from the NRMP Match. I didn't realise the deadline was the ROL submission date on Feb 21st, I thought as long as they had it by Match day I'd be ok. More fool me!

Should I interview anyway and ask if the programs will offer me a pre-match if they like me? Or find out in advance if the programs offer pre-match and just not go? I was worried anyway about only having three programs to rank and now I'm not sure where I stand.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for that, but as you know you will be withdrawn. My advice is not to go to those interviews please, because you will eliminate your chance to be there in case if you wait to next year, USUALLY, if a program interview you and you don’t match there they will not invite you again whatever the reason.

Just rank any programs in your list with the match and certify it to be in the scramble and have access to unfilled positions.

I know from the CS web site http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2Indexes/Step2CS_Scoring2.htm that your score will be reported starting from March 28 to April 25 and you will be close to mid April because your exam date is January 30th, this means that in the scramble you will not have ECFMG certificate.

The only option for you is to wait for late post scramble and participate in the Find Resident with your ERAS application and try to find a slot if not (I hope you the best) just apply next year it is very close.

Call up those programs and tell them of your situation.

This doesn't hold true for those from med schools in the U.S....does it?

You definitely should not go to the interviews and tell them why. Ask to speak to the program director to see if that is a problem, perhaps that program will not mind. But what you should not do is go to the interview knowing you wont be able to rank them. It will kill your chances with them the next year (if the program director and the coordinator remember you.)

You're definitely going to need to scramble.

(The above is true for an FMG or IMG, I don't know about AMGs, have yet to meet one that took it that late and I am sure they didn't have any problems with the scramble considering their dean's office is backing them up..)

That's a disaster - I'm about to leave for the US!!!! Can't believe I wasn't more organised.....will it look bad if I turn up on the day and explain my situation?

That's a disaster - I'm about to leave for the US!!!! Can't believe I wasn't more organised.....will it look bad if I turn up on the day and explain my situation?

As we said please do not show up. You will kill any chance next year. This happened to many before you and they insist to go. Talk with them and explain your situation. This is better than to go and waste their time and you will be withdrawn. Your chance with them later is still there but if you go no other chance with them at all.

Call the program directors and explain the situation...... the answer will vary according to how bad the program wants you.

This doesn't hold true for those from med schools in the U.S....does it?

You are correct. This is only for IMGs/FMGs.

There are plenty of US med students that take Step II CS and/or CK after the match. You need to pass to start residency though, I think, so the latest most people risk taking it is March or maybe early April. Taking it in May risks your scores not being back by July 1 when residency starts.

Many US MD/PhDs take Step II CS "late" (Feb, March or April just before starting residency in July), because they don't finish required clerkships until then. This doesn't seem to create a problem for them matching.

So don't worry :)

thanks, i had mini-nervous breakdown in the middle of starbucks when i was browsing around the site..thanks again...

It will kill your chances with them the next year (if the program director and the coordinator remember you.)
QUOTE]

Hi there...I was wondering about what you mean? Last year, I interviewed and went through the match, but was withdrawn from the NRMP because...
Anyway, I am going through the match again this year and three of those programs I interviewed at last year asked me back for an interview this year. And the PD's did remember me.

I was reading through this thread....and was wondering what the hell faebinder and mmed were talking about this "if you go for the interview you will not have a chance next year". How do you know this will hold true for each and every of the hundred programs out there? and each and every applicant out there? Are you two the authorities when it comes to the application process?

If anything, I would call the programs first and explain your situation instead of flying here to the US to get turned down at the interview (when asking for a prematch). If they offer you a prematch it would be a risk they are taking, since you do not have a passing score on CS.

It just really irks me when you have ppl on this forum giving advice to others, telling them this and that, when it HAS actually occurred (above poster). The only reason you should not go on an interview is because you could waste your time and money flying here to the US, when you could possibly get turned down if you ask for a prematch. You could easily call them up in Ireland and tell them your situation instead of having to fly here for that.

You shouldn't listen to ppl telling you "you will ruin your chances next year if you show up to the interview". That advice is just speculation..every program is different and every applicant is different. Again, the only reason why you shouldn't show up to the interview is because of the reason cited above.