Cs step 2 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolita90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I want some advice on how to study for the CS I'm planning to take by March _ April, got the FIrst Aid 6th edition but i have no idea how to start studying. Is there videos to orient me how to do the PE. Any suggestions will be kindly appreciated.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm study mini cases, and master your mnemonics, and do you cases most importantly PRACTICE as much as you can.. If you are not a english speaker, practice it heavily as well

Reactions: 1 user
Read the practice cases and find a study partner for a day or two just to get your timing down.

The key to your PE is to make it focused but thorough in the particular system. If someone has abdominal pain, do a good abdominal exam, but don’t worry about irrelevant exams.

The best way to approach this is to read the chief complaint and write down your top 5 differentials on your board. Base your questions and exam on this.

CHECK THE VITALS, they can be a huge hint. If someone complains of diarrhea, and has a heart rate of 105, consider things like hyperthyroidism in the back of your head.

Don’t forget social and family history. I had one vague case that I was clueless about until I asked about sexual history.

Overall, the test is VERY straight forward. But they do have a couple of head scratchers that you’ll only pick up if you have a good differential and ask the right questions.

Reactions: 1 users
How does the NBME get away with the Step 2 CS? Why don't medical students simply just refuse to take it? It so egregiously takes advantage of the students' money and time, and there is no evidence whatsoever that the exam actually improves patient safety? It is so bogus. Fake acting with fake patients in a fake, made-believe scenario. I just can't believe medical students put up with the crime that is the Step 2 CS.