CSCS Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWS527

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am currently preparing to take the exam for my CSCS due to my interest in the sports field. If anybody has theirs and could shed some light on the exam and tips on preparation, it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll definitely be following this thread. Are you currently you a recent grad or are you in PT school? All of our internships are stacked over the course of a year at the end of our program and I've been thinking about pursuing my CSCS when I get into the swing of things and I have a little more free time.

I'll definitely be following this thread. Are you currently you a recent grad or are you in PT school? All of our internships are stacked over the course of a year at the end of our program and I've been thinking about pursuing my CSCS when I get into the swing of things and I have a little more free time.
I will be in PT school in the fall. I don’t start classes until September so getting it done this summer is ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have mine, and it was the most difficult exam I've ever taken. I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to sitting for the boards (although an athletic trainer told me it was more difficult than his licensing examination), but you need to try to know as much of that book backward and forward as possible. You will be required to know average stats, like average bench press for, I dunno, youth 15-17 or something like that. You'll need to know how much protein and carbs each type of athlete needs. You'll need to know all the formulas for finding out target heart rate and what not. You'll need to be extremely familiar with periodization principles, because you will be asked to choose a program that matches, for example, a football player in their off season. Sports psychology is also critical.

When you do the practice test, do it until you get a high A. However, don't simply look at what you got wrong and try to find the right answer. Look at what you got wrong, write down the general topic it is, and do not, I repeat do not, look at what the correct answer is. Wait another week or two, and then re-take the practice test. The practice test is set up exactly like the actual exam, and if you can get to a point where you do well on that, you should be able to scrape by on the actual exam.

Be extremely familiar regarding exercise technique of all the exercises listed in the book. You need to be able to watch a video and be able to tell from that whether or not there is anything wrong with the person's technique. Be familiar with muscles used during exercises (this is probably the easiest part, honestly). You also need to be familiar with the different types of tests used (like T-test), and what tests are best used for certain sports.

I took the test at the beginning of last year, so I'm trying to remember everything I can, but you can just message me with any more questions. Keep in mind I had a bachelor's in English and my only background was as a personal trainer prior to taking the exam, so the exam might be easier for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I did my undergrad in Exercise Science, so the first section of the exam (physiology, nutrition, biomechanics, and sports psych) wasn't hard for me. The practical portion was challenging (I overlooked memorizing the mean statistics for different sports and genders). Like TheDancingWriter mentioned, be sure to get the practice exams and to do the practice quizzes at the end of each textbook chapter. 2-3 months (a summer) of consistent studying should prepare you.