CSM Useful as a Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallingreason

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here care to comment on if they think CSM is a useful experience as a student while in a DPT program?

I'm in my second year and wondering if it is worth dropping $500 and flying across the country to go to this conference.

If you do recommend going, why?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My school requires all students to attend a conference before graduation so I have to go to at least one conference. I plan on going to Vegas in February too. Everyone who goes tells me it's worth the experience. I would consider it part of your education.

Absolutely I think it is worth it as a student! I went for my first time last year (as a second year) and LOVED it!
Reasons students should go:
1) The presentations are great. The range of topics is amazing and you will learn a lot. Added bonus is you should put this on your resume as "professional development."
2) Because it is combined sections you can go to lectures on very specific topics you may not have a lot of exposure to in school. This can help you if you are still debating what specialty or setting to pursue.
3) It is exciting and will get you re-energized about the profession. It is easy to get burnt out in classes only. I found it very inspirational.
4) The exhibit hall is also a great experience in itself and I got a lot out of it as a student. I would go up to booths and say "I'm a student so I'm just curious" and the people would know not to be in full salesperson mode. They would either answer my questions and chat with me casually or occasionally blow me off - and that was fine. You get to see a lot of the newest technology and gadgets. Plus there are some great conference discounts! Kinesiotape, manual therapy tools, exercise equipment, books (including NPTE) etc.
5) It is $200 cheaper for students! Go now and see what it is all about - then you will know whether or not it is worth full price when you are a professional.
6) Networking and potential employers. As a second year I didn't take advantage of the employers who were at the exhibit hall and I didn't really put myself out there to find mentors. I did enter a drawing or two and through it got on some email lists - one of which actually proved helpful! As a third year I will definitely be talking with employers and asking a lot of questions to decide which to apply to. In today's market (at least in Phoenix where I am) we are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing us.

I loved CSM so much it inspired me to go to National Student Conclave this year. I highly recommend NSC for students! Hope this helped

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a 3rd year, I am contemplating attending CSM with the focus really being on meeting potential employers from a variety of locations. For anyone that has attended, is the number of employers there worth the cost of attending in terms of landing a potential job after graduation?

As a 3rd year, I am contemplating attending CSM with the focus really being on meeting potential employers from a variety of locations. For anyone that has attended, is the number of employers there worth the cost of attending in terms of landing a potential job after graduation?
Attending CSM is an excellent experience for networking and learning. All the Sections of the APTA sponsor educational sessions so anyone going into PT or working in the profession can gain from attending. It is also a great way to network with other PT's, students, and attending the exhibit hall is a must. Leave plenty of time for seeing all the vendors to check out equipment, meet with employers, etc.
We don't require it of students, but anyone who attends feels it's a great experience. Christy39 said it very well.

Does anyone here care to comment on if they think CSM is a useful experience as a student while in a DPT program?

I'm in my second year and wondering if it is worth dropping $500 and flying across the country to go to this conference.

If you do recommend going, why?

Thanks in advance!
I went as a second year, absolutely worth it! Nuff said...