CSU vs. UF (wildlife/zoo medicine interest)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSU vs. UF for DVM with strong interest in zoo/wildlife medicine

• CSU

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • UF

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Middle-EarthDVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Past, present, and future veterinary students, I would love to hear your opinions on CSU and UF's DVM programs. I was fortunate enough to have been offered a spot in CSU's VetPrep program which will give me in-state tuition at CSU. I was also offered a spot at UF, my in-state school. The cost of attendance and living are similar so now my decision comes down to each school's program. I am interested in wildlife and zoo medicine so any additional information in this area will greatly aid in my decision making!

I have visited UF and their facilities are impressive. I do not know if I will be able to visit Ft. Collins so I'd appreciate any information on the campus, facilities, and town from people who have experienced it.

How do current students at UF and CSU like the curriculum? school environment? professors? availability of opportunities?

I know both schools have a zoological medicine department that sees cases in exotics/zoo/aquatic/wildlife and also work with organizations in the surrounding area. CSU offers opportunities to study in Alaska with sports/wildlife/aquatic medicine which I think is unique and exciting.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I have not attended either school
There are a lot of things you can consider in making your decision. One that comes to mind is location. Florida and Colorado are very different places, so that may be something to consider. I don't know if there is a zoo residency program at CSU, but I know there is one at UF, and it may be useful to you to be able to connect with current residents to discuss the process and also just to network in the field (which is very important for zoo med). Another thing is that if the cost of attendance is going to be the same for you, it may be better to go where you will be starting vet school immediately - which would be UF. I don't know anything about CSU's VetPrep program, but that extra year is another year that you will be in school instead of working. So that is something to think about.

I recently did an out rotation at CSU and I absolutely loved both the school, the faculty, and the town. Colorado is heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned. All else being equal I would go with CSU. Their oncology department is ridic good btw.