General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH MSOT 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a little bit of my experience in the hope that it will encourage others to not give up. I graduated 8 years ago with a GPA barely above 3.0. I thought I was doomed! For many years, I was upset that I didn't have the means to cope with an experience that had impacted my coursework during freshman/sophomore year. Eventually, I realized I couldn't let a piece of paper dictate the rest of my life and I became involved in causes that deeply interested me (a foster home in Mexico, mentorship program for at-risk youth, social service org. through my church, etc). I'm sure these experiences helped my application but I knew I needed hard stats to prove I could succeed in graduate school. I worked hard in my Prereqs and became a physiology tutor for 2 semesters. My GRE score wasn't SUPER high but it helped make-up for my mediocre GPA. If you have a low GPA, the GRE is your friend! Use it to your advantage :) Get great LORs. Also, find schools where you're a competitive candidate. I applied to one other school and I received an invitation to interview. I was almost certain I'd be going there until I received my acceptance to CSUDH.

Here are my stats:
Major: International Relations
Overall GPA: 3.06 (OTCAS was 3.28)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 163 V 155 Q 4.5 AWA

Volunteer: Physiology tutor, Big Brother Big Sisters, trips to foster home in Mexico, language partner in Chile.
LORs: Anatomy/Physiology professor, supervisor, and OT.

Current job: behavioral aide

Essay: I didn't focus on my bad grades or try to come up with excuses. I highlighted my strengths to prove that I could become a successful OT.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to drop by to let people know that I just got my official rejection from Dominguez Hills, I did not get an email but my status on my application did change. I'm super bummed but I am so excited for everyone that got accepted! Wishing everyone the best:)

Just wanted to drop by to let people know that I just got my official rejection from Dominguez Hills, I did not get an email but my status on my application did change. I'm super bummed but I am so excited for everyone that got accepted! Wishing everyone the best:)

Thank you for letting us know @rachelgreen123. I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you mean that your status on the CSUDH website says rejected? I'm expecting that rejection anytime now... :(

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck with any other applications you’ve submitted!!

Hey guys, my CSUDH portal says that I have been denied too. It's nice to finally know at least.

I received an acceptance letter this week!

This was my second time applying. I was waitlisted last year. I've been working towards this goal for a few years now. After I did not receive a spot in the program last year, I met with the head of the OT Department to review my application. She gave me very helpful advice. I worked really hard all year to strengthen my application and it paid off. In the end, having to reapply was a good thing for me. It reenforced my passion and commitment to becoming an OT. Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance letter so far. To those of you still waiting, good luck and don’t give up!

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know. Best of luck with any other applications you’ve submitted!!
Have you heard back yet? They told me all decisions were supposed to out today, and I haven’t gotten any emails :(

Have you heard back yet? They told me all decisions were supposed to out today, and I haven’t gotten any emails :(

I haven’t heard anything yet. And there’s an issue with my CSU portal account, so I can’t check my status online. :(

I was denied but didn't receive an e-mail. I couldn't look at my status on the portal either but I got a letter in the mail.
Oh well, hoping to get into a different program! Congrats to all who were accepted :)

To admitted students: are any of you commuting from the San Fernando Valley? I don't have immediate plans to move because I don't want to break my lease. It'd be awesome if we got in the same section and carpooled on occasion.

Got a letter in the mail that I was officially waitlisted. Not very good news as it seems most of those waitlisted from years past were not admitted.

Got a letter in the mail that I was officially waitlisted. Not very good news as it seems most of those waitlisted from years past were not admitted.

I know being waitlisted is not what you wanted but it's good news for next year! Just look at how many applicants got a chance to improve their stats and were ultimately accepted the following cycle. I'm excited for you. Please don't give up. Get new experiences or work harder so that your LORs will reflect new information about you :)

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone thinking of applying for the next year? I'm planning on boosting my GPA because this school just works financially for me

is anyone thinking of applying for the next year? I'm planning on boosting my GPA because this school just works financially for me
If by applying next year you mean applying to be in next year's cohort, I will!

Hi I have been going through this forum for awhile and wanted to post my stats on what the current students think my chances are of acceptance and how I could improve them! Really would appreciate any advice! Thank you so much!

Undergrad: UC Davis-- Do they take this into account? Psychology and Design double major
GPA - 3.69
GPA - Pre Req: 4.0
GRE: 151 Q 152 V 4 AWA-- retaking it, but the GRE is my biggest struggle and I know they care a lot about the GRE which makes me really worried.
Would appreciate any advice on this!!!!!!!!!!!

Hours: 1,000+.
Pediatric occupational therapy aide 500+ (employed)
volunteer in occupational therapy senior care facility
Physical therapy aide (employed)
Inpatient volunteer in rehab
Ambulatory medical transporter
Research assistant

LORs:
Professor
OT
OT
PT