CSULB or UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meganb98

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently trying to decide between attending Cal State Long Beach and UNC Chapel Hill this fall. I am really torn as UNC has a highly reputable program, but Long Beach is also super close to my hometown and would be a lot cheaper. I was wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about either of the two programs? Here are some pros and cons of each school that I could think of:

CSULB
Pro: close to home/location, in state tuition, close knit community,
Con: I've heard they have a heavy emphasis on neruo (although the admissions officer has said he things the curriculum is pretty well rounded)

UNC
Pro: high ranking, faculty specialized in sports (what I am interested in)
Con: more expensive, all the way across the country, research heavy

Thanks so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a UNC grad and can vouch for the quality of its PT program. However, I will advise you to stay in CA and take advantage of the in-state tuition in your home state.

I graduated from CSULB in 2017 and loved my time in the program. I felt like our curriculum was pretty balanced, but our neuro classes did have a lot of content and were pretty demanding (which I'm sure is the case in most programs). We did have 2 semesters of a neuro pro bono clinic and 2 semesters in our ortho faculty practice. There are a lot of sports-oriented clinics in SoCal so there's probably a good opportunity to get more sports-oriented clinicals. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the program if you send me a message.