CSUN vs Western U for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelfight13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am so thankful that I have been accepted to 2 amazing DPT programs, CSUN and Western University of Health Sciences. Besides the money factor, I’m trying to decide between these two programs. Does anyone have any input about either school’s DPT program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am so thankful that I have been accepted to 2 amazing DPT programs, CSUN and Western University of Health Sciences. Besides the money factor, I’m trying to decide between these two programs. Does anyone have any input about either school’s DPT program? Thanks!

CSUN - cheaper. I heard you have the opportunity to work with the Dodgers in your clinical rotation (Not sure though).

Western - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=886693

My friend who currently attends Western does not like the program (Mainly the staff/faculty).

I personally had a negative experience with Western's faculty. They told me during the application process that I was placed on the high priority interview list and that I would receive an interview in the next two weeks. Two weeks after they tell me that the high priority list no longer exists (WTF). But they told me that I was next in line for an interview. Months past to soon find out that my application was on "Hold". It was just frustrating that they gave me the wrong information and gave me a sense of false hope.

I am sure that Western is a great school and provides great PTs, but I am speaking from my experience.

GOOD LUCK!

I have mixed feelings about Western. I interviewed there (placed as an alternate) and saw the program as a potential to be my top choice. However, during this application process (similar to the post above), I found it very difficult to communicate with the staff. Out of my 5 emails that I sent asking questions, only 1 was responded to (about a week after I sent it).

Congrats on the acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did CSUN notify you of your acceptance? When do you have to let them know by?

I got accepted into WesternU as well. I am very excited. I have heard bad things about the program on here, but I talked to students while I was there and they all seemed to be enjoying their program. I also asked about the malignant forum post on here and she said it was a student who got kicked out and was pissed off. I think it is a good school and at this moment I am planning on attending there this fall! It is very expensive though.
When did you hear about csun? I am waiting to hear back from them still..

About 2 weeks ago and I needed to let them know 4 days after my letter. I accepted both and am trying to decide.

I heard from CSUN about 2 weeks ago and I needed to let them know 4 days after my letter. I accepted both and am trying to decide.

That's ridiculous. CSUN is the only school I've heard of, so far, that gives applicants four days to make a decision. Even the Army-Baylor program gives you more time. It frustrates me that they don't even notify the wait-list people the same time acceptances are sent out. They told me wait-listed applicants are notified as spots become open.

I think the short notice is pretty normal, Western I think I had about 10 days maybe but they wanted the deposit and such, csun just wanted the acceptance letter filled out in 4 days then the rest will be later, it wasn't a big deal. As far as the waitlist I think all the schools usually wait as well. it's a very odd way they do these applications. Goodluck!

ive heard not so great things about western (faculty, unhappy students, etc) but haven't heard anything bad about CSUN but success stories. price, location, and all things being taken accounted for... i would totally pick CSUN. :) CONGRATS! i still haven't heard anything from them yet but I'm assuming im on a waitlist or denied? good luck!!