-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CT interviews 2013
Started by okayplayer
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My letters aren't out yet also, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks I should be complete. What region of the country are you applying to? I'm applying to NY, Tx and Ca programs plus a few others. I'm also looking for available positions for this coming July as I am a CA3. Is it common for CT spots to open up in the spring as people turn down fellowship spots? I called a few programs in the fall and got the we're full, thanks for calling story. But 1 or 2 programs told me to call back in the spring.
Has anyone here had any experience with landing a CT position a few months prior to July? If so did you just cold call and how effective was this? Just curious as to what's the possibility of me starting fellowship this July. I am open to going anywhere this July.
Has anyone here had any experience with landing a CT position a few months prior to July? If so did you just cold call and how effective was this? Just curious as to what's the possibility of me starting fellowship this July. I am open to going anywhere this July.
I am the opposite, 3 letters are in the mail (went out last week). I am sending out my apps tomorrow. I've been busy with ICU and hadn't had the time to compile all the paperwork, until recently. But good thing most places accept emailed apps. I am still waiting on 1 LOR from a very well known anesthesiologist, who happens to be my programs new chair so all my places will get 4 letters. Beth Israel already got 3 LORs before they even got my application..
After talking to program coordinators and looking at application requirements I've eliminated some places and I am applying to 22 programs across the country mostly big names. I hope I get something.. We'll see.
good luck to everyone else.
After talking to program coordinators and looking at application requirements I've eliminated some places and I am applying to 22 programs across the country mostly big names. I hope I get something.. We'll see.
good luck to everyone else.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a co-resident who has already been on an interview or 2.
Got my first one. Duke.
Nice. I also have an interview at Duke 👍.
On a side note, anybody here back from Columbia yet?
On a side note, anybody here back from Columbia yet?
I have heard back from USC and Tufts. Blanketing the northeast and cali with a few midwest programs in between - 22 programs felt like a safe number to apply to in the first year of a match. What are your guys thoughts on the potential possibilities that entail this scenario?
Congrats on the Duke interviews guys. Great program
Congrats on the Duke interviews guys. Great program
Texas Heart is offering interviews, as is UW and Wash U.
Has anyone heard from Hopkins, UCLA or Columbia as yet.
UPenn told me they have not started interviewing. I need some interviews.
UPenn told me they have not started interviewing. I need some interviews.
Stanford.
Emory. Anyone actually get an invite to Texas Heart or Columbia as of yet? I only applied to 7 programs, so will see what my fate holds.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be advisable to email the program director directly about an interest in a program, if I haven't received an interview yet?
Also have anyone heard from Hopkins, Columbia and UCSD yet?
Also have anyone heard from Hopkins, Columbia and UCSD yet?
lots of places are waiting till the end of March to start interviewing, however, like mentioned above some places already started interviewing. It seems like the processes is going slower because of the match...
Ccf.
Rejected by UCLA. They letter was so nice. I guess I wasn't SoCal enough for them :-(.
But they did say they'll keep my app on file, so there is hope.
But they did say they'll keep my app on file, so there is hope.
From what I've heard, there are certain match exceptions where a program can offer a spot outside the match/pre-match: internal candidate (likely the most common of these exceptions), two year fellowship, and couples matching. Not sure about other exceptions.
I think MUSC has been filling internally for the last few years, and early at that. Very small program with a very big name.
cedar sinai, penn. didn't apply to usmc but they're listed under programs suppose to be under match. its just south carolina anyways.
Anyone heard from Texas Hearts?
Texas Heart is already interviewing.
yeah looks like with in the next 2 to three weeks every program will be interviewing..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to 22 of the 58 programs, not in a specific region, but across the country and those 22 have either already started interviewing or will be interviewing by mid to end March. So no I didn't contact every program but I did contact 38% of them (but all the big ones i.e. 3 or more fellows per year) maybe some of the programs that have only 1 or 2 spots might not start interviewing till April, but all the big programs which is where I applied will be interviewing by then. I would think that the smaller programs would most likely fill internally anyway so there's no point in applying to them, at least that's my thought process.
Dont take this the wrong way but thats complete hearsay by the way you describe it haha. So basically all the programs you applied to are interviewing in March 🙂
Personally theres about 19 programs on my list that I personally have called or that sent me emails saying wait until March for some word from them.....which is why I asked what you meant. Most of them are big name programs. And "small" programs (not sure what that means as the average program size appears to be around 3-5) that are in the match cant fill internally according to the agreement for the Match this year so they have to rank applicants just like the big programs.
Either way, heard from Cleveland Clinic today as well 🙂
Personally theres about 19 programs on my list that I personally have called or that sent me emails saying wait until March for some word from them.....which is why I asked what you meant. Most of them are big name programs. And "small" programs (not sure what that means as the average program size appears to be around 3-5) that are in the match cant fill internally according to the agreement for the Match this year so they have to rank applicants just like the big programs.
Either way, heard from Cleveland Clinic today as well 🙂
Rejection from Columbia.
Univ of Chicago
Emory, Mt Sinai
Know of a fellow resident (Stanford, Cedar Sinai, Univ of Washington)
Know of a fellow resident (Stanford, Cedar Sinai, Univ of Washington)
Northwestern
Anyone know of any programs NOT participating in the match? If so, is it because they are filling with their own residents?
Just heard from Mayo Clinic. Rejection from Columbia though.
I've been on 3 so far and will be done with 7 of them by the first week of April. So far they've been very chill, relaxed and a lot less stressful than residency interviews. For 2 of them I was the only applicant present which I attributed to it being fairly early in the interview season but the programs where this was the case mentioned they just invited people up whenever they wanted. I hope everyone here gets the program they want.
I've been on 3 so far and will be done with 7 of them by the first week of April. So far they've been very chill, relaxed and a lot less stressful than residency interviews. For 2 of them I was the only applicant present which I attributed to it being fairly early in the interview season but the programs where this was the case mentioned they just invited people up whenever they wanted. I hope everyone here gets the program they want.
Should ask this in the Pain Forum. There are threads about the pain match and programs not participating.Anyone know of any programs NOT participating in the match? If so, is it because they are filling with their own residents?
yeah, sorry. i posted this early in the a.m. and didn't realize i posted it here. thought i was starting a new thread.
Rejection from Emory via snail mail. At least the letter showed some Southern hospitality.
🙁
🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UPMC
Hopefully weren't not at the point where no response from a program = waitlist/stealth rejection
Hopefully weren't not at the point where no response from a program = waitlist/stealth rejection

Seems like interviews are drying up. This is a major bummer. I was expecting a pick of the litter interviews. I think things would have been different for me if I would have applied last year. It seems either the popularity has increased or the match may have changed interviewing strategy.
Very frustrating. Oh well.
Very frustrating. Oh well.
Seems like interviews are drying up. This is a major bummer. I was expecting a pick of the litter interviews. I think things would have been different for me if I would have applied last year. It seems either the popularity has increased or the match may have changed interviewing strategy.
Very frustrating. Oh well.
I don't think anyone should expect pick of the litter these days. Too many applicants. Too many spots filled internally. 3 years ago I was getting letters saying there are just too many applicants; can only imagine that trend has increased.
Seems like programs aren't even bothering with rejection letters at this point. Guess its like asking a girl for a date and she tells you she'll call and tell you when she's free, but she never calls you :cry:
I wish I could score a spot for this July, but everywhere I contacted said buzz off.
Maybe I was destined to be a General Anesthesiologist. 😍
I wish I could score a spot for this July, but everywhere I contacted said buzz off.
Maybe I was destined to be a General Anesthesiologist. 😍
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K