CT scan vs MRI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambiguous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. As an MS3, I prolly don't belong in this forum but I thought I would ask the experts this question. I was hoping someone could explain to me what the difference is b/w a CT scan and MRI is (more in terms of when to use what). I just know that MRI is more for tissues and that each uses different methods of imaging (xray vs magnetic resonance). I know there is a lot more to it than that but I have yet to have anyone explain it to me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. As an MS3, I prolly don't belong in this forum but I thought I would ask the experts this question. I was hoping someone could explain to me what the difference is b/w a CT scan and MRI is (more in terms of when to use what). I just know that MRI is more for tissues and that each uses different methods of imaging (xray vs magnetic resonance). I know there is a lot more to it than that but I have yet to have anyone explain it to me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Ill get you started...
Anything with air in it or calcium (bones) wont show up well on MR (not enough water).. ie lungs or bowels.. so for Chest abdomen or pelvis, CT is the way to go. Busted bones? looking at hardware and evaluating healing? CT.

For other soft tissues like muscles/tendons/ligaments (60% water), or soft jello-like organs like the brain use MRI...

if you are looking for blood in the brain like in trauma or want to rule it out in a pt with stroke use CT.. Recently clotted blood has lots of proteins in it which show up well on CT, and CT is way quicker than an MR in trauma.

For anything else basic you better read squires or learn how to use google.
Crack the books, MS3! time to do a little homework. don't be a weak MS3... You better learn how to do scut with a smile on your face and if you don't know something, admit it and then look it up for yourself!

Don't think I'm being hard on you.
Hey, I did it as an MS3 and I got the T-shirt.

Last edited:
Ill get you started...
Anything with air in it or calcium (bones) wont show up well on MR (not enough water).. ie lungs or bowels.. so for Chest abdomen or pelvis, CT is the way to go. Busted bones? looking at hardware and evaluating healing? CT.

For other soft tissues like muscles/tendons/ligaments (60% water), or soft jello-like organs like the brain use MRI...

if you are looking for blood in the brain like in trauma or want to rule it out in a pt with stroke use CT.. Recently clotted blood has lots of proteins in it which show up well on CT, and CT is way quicker than an MR in trauma.

For anything else basic you better read squires or learn how to use google.
Crack the books, MS3! time to do a little homework. don't be a weak MS3... You better learn how to do scut with a smile on your face and if you don't know something, admit it and then look it up for yourself!

Don't think I'm being hard on you.
Hey, I did it as an MS3 and I got the T-shirt.

Thanks a lot hans. That helps a lot. I'm currently on my medicine clerkship so I'm studying hard for that shelf as is. I'm planning to squeeze in a rad rotation sometime this year though to learn this stuff better. If anyone else has further teaching points, I am all ears though. Thanks a lot guys!