cure for HIV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally agree with you. Go read the CNN comments on your average political article. Most of those *****s wouldnt even be capable of understanding the science. I love reading the comments more than the articles on CNN haha. Such idiocy out there.

Peoples iz sto0pid. Polls show that something like 80% of Americans think that the evaporation of water involves H2O splitting into hydrogen and oxygen gases...

It was a multiple choice poll response and many of those people were probably just picking what sounded best to them--something that they might not have normally come up with on their own--but still...it's a little bit heartbreaking...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Peoples iz sto0pid. Polls show that something like 80% of Americans think that the evaporation of water involves H2O splitting into hydrogen and oxygen gases...

It was a multiple choice poll response and many of those people were picking what sounded best to them--something that they might not have normally come up with on their own--but still...it's a little bit heartbreaking...

haha....a significant subset of Americans also thinks that HIV is a government engineered conspiracy to kill of gays and blacks....nuff said!

haha....a significant subset of Americans also thinks that HIV is a government engineered conspiracy to kill of gays and blacks....nuff said!

My own sister told me point blank (as I was telling her about an HIV vaccine study) that the HIV virus doesn't cause AIDS. Part of me died that evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
My own sister told me point blank (as I was telling her about an HIV vaccine study) that the HIV virus doesn't cause AIDS. Part of me died that evening.

haha sorry!

aaaaaaaaaaand this is why we need tort reform BAD. I cant stand the fact that I am probably going to get sued in the future...and judged by a panel of my "peers" who have no idea WTF is going on.

haha sorry!

aaaaaaaaaaand this is why we need tort reform BAD. I cant stand the fact that I am probably going to get sued in the future...and judged by a panel of my "peers" who have no idea WTF is going on.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you think should go into a tort reform bill?

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you think should go into a tort reform bill?

While I dont claim to be some political expert (quite the contrary actually)...I essentially think that med mal cases need to be decided by a panel of doctors and lawyers...or docs who are MD/DO and JDs. Furthermore we need some way to speed up these cases...or block them from hitting the courts if they dont pass some sort of preliminary committee.

Typical laymen simply lack the expertise and knowledge to decide these types of cases. Unfortunately things happen in medicine. People die and it is unfortunate. Lay individuals decide cases with their hearts and emotions...rather than with their knowledge of medicine and the risks associated with various tx/ standards of care.

So more or less (to paraphrase), help keep med mal suits to gross negligence or overt misuse of medicine instead of poor outcomes from otherwise reasonable decisions?

Nobel Laureate, Kary Mullis, would agree with your sister.

you'll see it in med school when you discuss HIV for sure - so it's great that you have heard of it now. there are also some other protective mutations in the promoter for CCR5 (which makes sense of course).

one crappy thing about this is that some HIV strains use CXCR4 instead of CCR5. seems to really only play a role when you see a CCR5-/- patient with HIV.

Actually HIV-1 almost exclusively uses CCR5 for transmission it's only later that the virus gradually becomes able to use CXCR4 as a co-receptor for viral entry. There was some evidence of CXCR4 being passed vertically, however I read a paper awhile ago(I'll see if I can find it) arguing that R5 tropic virus is actually transmitted but then rapidly mutates to X4 tropic strain. That's why homozygous CCR5delta32 mutants are basically immune and why drug development is focused on CCR5.

I remember watching a PBS documentary on this mutation back in 2004ish.

Maraviroc capitalizes on this, however it's not a permanent solution and has effectiveness similiar to traditional HAART.

One thing I always wondered is how much active virus does one need in their body to cause HIV? I mean I assume with trillions upon trillions of copies of this virus, most people will have at least 1 copy of the virus in their body. I mean let's say you have just 1 copy of the virus, would that be sufficient to cause the disease over a short enough time period to be felt in your life?
Or would it be excreted or "stastically" washed out in that it would take too long for it to reproduce enough to be noticed by the host.

Maraviroc capitalizes on this, however it's not a permanent solution and has effectiveness similiar to traditional HAART.

One thing I always wondered is how much active virus does one need in their body to cause HIV? I mean I assume with trillions upon trillions of copies of this virus, most people will have at least 1 copy of the virus in their body. I mean let's say you have just 1 copy of the virus, would that be sufficient to cause the disease over a short enough time period to be felt in your life?
Or would it be excreted or "stastically" washed out in that it would take too long for it to reproduce enough to be noticed by the host.

First here is a link to the paper about transmission

http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/9/S1/S6

In regards to how much active virus you need to have HIV, the answer is none. At least no detectable virus by standard lab tests. The problem is HIV is able to stay dormant in long lived memory cells, which provides a reservoir of latent virus that can later become reactivated and may eventually cause AIDS.

In terms of the infectious dose of HIV, that varies depending on the mode of transmission. Theoretically one replication competent virus in the right place in your body could easily lead to symptoms of acute HIV disease within your lifetime, probably within weeks (I am too lazy to look up specifics).

Here is a link to an abstract about infectious dose though:

http://ijsa.rsmjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/12/828

There was actually a study done on PrEP (kind of) by HPTN (HIV Prevention Trials Network) that was ended ahead of schedule because of overwhelmingly positive results. HPTN052 showed that in partners with discordant HIV serology, transmission was reduced by 96% vs. the control group. While this isn't the classic PrEP that you may be talking about, it is still a boon to preventative treatments, and it even avoids giving treatment to an HIV-negative person. It also hammers home the point that ART is becoming increasingly effective in not only controlling the infection, but also helping prevent transmission.

As for changing CCR5...I think people are talking about it more as a treatment rather than a "vaccine." It would be pretty dumb to so drastically limit the number of genotypes in a population.

I mean yeah, if a patient is on HAART with an hiv RNA <50, the risk of transmission to a partner is greatly minimized. Honestly, if everyone that was positive was on a successful regimen, the transmission would be drastically different.

I'm not going to offer citations for this because no doc would recommend it, but if you're a serodiscordant couple trying to conceive and the HIV+ partner has an undetectable viral load, then the chance of transmission to the partner (and the child) is close to nil.

I think you meant to say AIDS when you said HIV first. As causing HIV makes little sense. If you meant HIV disease, then I mean if you're positive, you're positive. AIDS is usually when the symptoms start, unless you're talking about seroconversion which is like the flu.

In any event, it's an exponential growth. I'd gander yes, but there are too many variables to determine what exactly is going on. It's usually 5-15 years from infection that one progresses to AIDS (defined either by OI's or CD4<200). So if you double that even, 10-30 years is still within my lifetime.

Now if you want to talk about something really crazy look up IRIS. That's something that's a little more complicated to manage. The south african physicians I've worked with deal with tons of this stuff.

Actually HIV-1 almost exclusively uses CCR5 for transmission it's only later that the virus gradually becomes able to use CXCR4 as a co-receptor for viral entry. There was some evidence of CXCR4 being passed vertically, however I read a paper awhile ago(I'll see if I can find it) arguing that R5 tropic virus is actually transmitted but then rapidly mutates to X4 tropic strain. That's why homozygous CCR5delta32 mutants are basically immune and why drug development is focused on CCR5.

Yeah I think you're right. I thought I saw a paper that said delta 32 people still had some risk when it came to blood transmission rather than sexual transmission. This would make sense if the contaminated blood had dual tropic and/or CXCR4 tropic viruses.

Even if there are no transmitted CXCR4 tropic viruses, I'd be willing to bet HIV would adapt to such if therapeutics continue to target CCR5.

Yeah I think you're right. I thought I saw a paper that said delta 32 people still had some risk when it came to blood transmission rather than sexual transmission. This would make sense if the contaminated blood had dual tropic and/or CXCR4 tropic viruses.

Even if there are no transmitted CXCR4 tropic viruses, I'd be willing to bet HIV would adapt to such if therapeutics continue to target CCR5.

Depends. If the regimens are good and the adherence is good, then mutations are not that likely.

Besides, a lot of the time a sample is taken to determine viral genotype. So if there are any mutations favored, you know in advance.

Don't think this is done with all patients though because $$$$$$

Depends. If the regimens are good and the adherence is good, then mutations are not that likely.

Besides, a lot of the time a sample is taken to determine viral genotype. So if there are any mutations favored, you know in advance.

Don't think this is done with all patients though because $$$$$$

yeah viral tropism typing is pretty expensive...but I'm sure as molecular diagnostics gets better this will improve.

Side note, I was talking to my bosses about crazy doctors today and I brought up montagnier, one of them cut me off and said that he'd lost it forever again.

I started cracking up.

Even if he cheated, atleast Gallo isn't nuts...

Totally agree with you. Go read the CNN comments on your average political article. Most of those *****s wouldnt even be capable of understanding the science. I love reading the comments more than the articles on CNN haha. Such idiocy out there.

It was a multiple choice poll response and many of those people were probably just picking what sounded best to them--something that they might not have normally come up with on their own--but still...it's a little bit heartbreaking...

Plus they are extremely anti-doctor on those CNN comment sections. Speak any logic to some of them about the medical field and prepare to be flamed.

There is no reasoning with idiots.