Curiosity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Redneck

Psych gurus:

I was talking with a clerk where I have my vehicle insurance and the friendly chit chat progressed. Long story short she expressed the opinion that psychiatrists aren't *really* doctors. I've had my big toe dipped in the medical pool long enough that I think I fell in so the comment caught me off guard. My question for you guys then is this a lay opinion that rears its head often? Or did I just stumble upon an isolated incident of ignorance? ...just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

You can see this in people whom have never had a family member or themselves become affected by a mental illness.

The people affected and their families certainly do not share this clerk's opinion, and are usually grateful for the help and treatment we provide.

I've heard this alot from friends of friends, and even my dad too. I think people do not want to believe that they can be vulnerable to mental disease. There has always been a stigma associated with being "crazy". Needing medical help for a "mental problem" is viewed as just being "weak". I've seen this view more from macho males, than from my female friends..don't know if there's a correlation w/ gender..

Redneck said:
Psych gurus:

I was talking with a clerk where I have my vehicle insurance and the friendly chit chat progressed. Long story short she expressed the opinion that psychiatrists aren't *really* doctors. I've had my big toe dipped in the medical pool long enough that I think I fell in so the comment caught me off guard. My question for you guys then is this a lay opinion that rears its head often? Or did I just stumble upon an isolated incident of ignorance? ...just curious.

I've as well heard comments like this when I explain to people what I'm going to med school for. I just laugh and tell them "Well YES I will be a REAL doctor! I will graduate med school with the official title of MD=Medical Doctor! And it is then that I will specialize in psychiatry, as opposed to surgery or family medicine, which I have absolutely no interest in, but if I did, I would specialize in that, but all in all, we are all "real" doctors, just with different interests!" That whole bout of info usually catch them off guard and they usually end up applogizing and saying how they never quite viewed it like that. It has been humorous on an occasion or two ;) . Then they somehow think that I am a psychiatrist or know everything and tell me about their brother's girlfriend's cousin's step mom with depression. I just smile and nod, yet then they think I am not telling them something. :laugh: