Curious about an ER Doc's salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Want2Know

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does an ER doctor with approximately 30 years of experience make per year? He is currently the director of the ED (management & clinical hours) for a medium sized hospital in a state in the northeast.

Members don't see this ad.

Too many variables to state.
Need to know number of hours worked, type of group, type of hospital.

It would be easier to ask him.

This question is creepy in that it seems to be trying to find out about a specific individual's salary. Stepping slowly away from the thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much does an ER doctor with approximately 30 years of experience make per year? He is currently the director of the ED (management & clinical hours) for a medium sized hospital in a state in the northeast.

Impossible to know without knowing the structure of the group and many other variables...even then it is probably not possible to know.

If he is part of a non-profit, the salaries of the highest paid and key employees are on their yearly filings. Look it up and see if he is on there.

Are you a lawyer trying to figure out how much to ask for?

His salary is whatever Obama feels is currently "too much" to make minus $1. Note: That salary may change day to day depending on the news events and pariahs.

If he's making less than $1.3 million a year, he's seriously underpayed...

we actually pay to do this.

Maybe she's scoping him out on Match.com...

Oh, and congrats Niner! I only make $7.23. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! All the non-dairy creamer I want!

Ok, I'm sorry you're right it's none of my business. I'm actually asking about my father. Growing up he always acted like we were lower middle class, and he never really shared his money with me. I worked at supermarkets, fast food places, etc. I have not spoken to him in a long time and I don't want anything from him. I don't know I was just curious because I never thought about it and always assumed that he didn't make that much money, but then I looked online and it seems like he makes more than 200K a year, I was really suprised....is that even accurate?

His salary is whatever Obama feels is currently "too much" to make minus $1. Note: That salary may change day to day depending on the news events and pariahs.

this is off-topic, but veers, you had the best avatar on the forums and now you changed it to.. i don't know what.

"He changed it when he became a citizen. Used to be Merkwürdigeliebe."

Ok, I'm sorry you're right it's none of my business. I'm actually asking about my father. Growing up he always acted like we were lower middle class, and he never really shared his money with me. I worked at supermarkets, fast food places, etc. I have not spoken to him in a long time and I don't want anything from him. I don't know I was just curious because I never thought about it and always assumed that he didn't make that much money, but then I looked online and it seems like he makes more than 200K a year, I was really suprised....is that even accurate?

Sounds like a smart man. I read a book called the Millionaire Next Door. The premise of the book is that a group of researchers wanted to find out more about millionaires so that they could better teach companies to market to that group of people. They were surprised by their research. The people tended to be real cheapskates, shunning caviar and wine and asking for beer. However, their offspring tended to have very poor money management skills, and consistently lived above their means.

I plan to raise my kids exactly in the way your Dad raised you. They need to make their way in the world. If they want to go to any school besides their state school, their paying for it themselves. They want a car? What can you earn in a summer and what will that buy you from the used car lot? I've know some kids who grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth, and I won't have my kids turning out that way.

Why haven't you talked to your Dad in such a long time? ER doctors are the coolest people on the planet.

this is off-topic, but veers, you had the best avatar on the forums and now you changed it to.. i don't know what.

"He changed it when he became a citizen. Used to be Merkwürdigeliebe."

Do people want me to change it back? I was accused of being a "Nazi" like my old avatar.

BTW the new one is a Vorlon.

I won't even speculate what a medical director with 30 years of EM experience makes, but at the very least I will link you to this thread from last week: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=729387

Basically, the median salary for an ER physician is $263k, more if they are a partner in a group. But that's today, and depending on how long ago you were growing up, it might have been substantially less (but still six figures). The deviation from that median is relatively substantial depending on location and type of practice though (not to mention as an administrator your father might be making higher).

But to be honest, your story is rather suspect. You grew up in this man's household for 18 years (+/- a few), and never thought about how much money he was making? Forget about asking him, surely someone you met during your years in school had *some* kind of idea about what kind of money doctors make? Seems rather clueless to me to be that surprised so many years down the line that your dad might not have been as broke as you thought.

Unless there was some marital strife between your parents causing a high alimony and child support payment, which would cause him to live lower middle class...

Don't forget the possibility of a crippling drug or gambling habit...

+1 on not raising your kids to act like they're rich. My dad was a name partner in a relatively successful law firm and we definitely lived middle-class. Going to high school with a bunch of kids who got Range Rovers when they turned 15 and were failing their second in-patient rehab by 18, I now appreciate the lessons I learned.

GV, I do miss the old avatar.

Your father has the right idea, its actually no ones business what another person makes especially if that person is paying all the bills in the household.

I think its great that he lived somewhat under his means and keeping the family in check with spending. Sorry if that sounds mean of me but I've seen one too many families sucking their physician relatives dry monetarily. What exactly is lower middle class to you though, meaning a) you & your mom lived in the projects while your dad lived in a nice neighborhood with his wife/mistress or b) daddy wouldn't buy everyone a new, shiny car when they turned 16?

Ok thanks for the replies....So I guess I got my answer. That is a lot of money.

For all of you who said they want to raise their kids just like my dad raised me, well I honestly think it's more about you setting a good example for them and teaching them to be moral, caring individuals with a conscience that will keep them from being selfish and careless. In terms of spending money on them I think you have to find a middle ground, because honestly what's the point of having money? You can't take it with you. You should want to at least share it with the people you love so they can live comfortable lives.

Honestly me not talking to him now does not have anything to do with how I was brought up, and I don't plan on getting back in touch with him now even if he makes a million dollars a year.

Everyone here is right it's none of my business. Thanks for all your replies

Ok thanks for the replies....So I guess I got my answer. That is a lot of money.

For all of you who said they want to raise their kids just like my dad raised me, well I honestly think it's more about you setting a good example for them and teaching them to be moral, caring individuals with a conscience that will keep them from being selfish and careless. In terms of spending money on them I think you have to find a middle ground, because honestly what's the point of having money? You can't take it with you. You should want to at least share it with the people you love so they can live comfortable lives.

Honestly me not talking to him now does not have anything to do with how I was brought up, and I don't plan on getting back in touch with him now even if he makes a million dollars a year.

Everyone here is right it's none of my business. Thanks for all your replies

I grew up lower middle class, but it was because my parents actually didn't have very much money. I'll tell ya what though, I learned that if you want to have something, you have to work to get it. Sounds like you learned that as well. And people that like to show off their money, for example people who build big houses and drive porsches, it seems they tend to turn out rotten kids. I didn't grow up with much, but I was pretty comfortable.

Even though you can't take the money with you to the grave, at least you can have a nice retirement, and a chunk of money to donate to charity or give to your kids when you croak.

Even though you can't take the money with you to the grave, at least you can have a nice retirement, and a chunk of money to donate to charity or give to your kids when you croak.

Bequethments and estates are taxed at exorbitant rates. Whatever you do, don't die with it, or Uncle Sam gets a lot.

Bequethments and estates are taxed at exorbitant rates. Whatever you do, don't die with it, or Uncle Sam gets a lot.
Funnily enough, this year they aren't. They let the estate tax lapse for a year (some legal loophole in a Bush-era act that lowered it. The tax completely goes away this year, then comes back to Clinton levels in 2011. They couldn't get the votes in the Senate to change the status quo or something.)

Conclusion: If you have grandpa on a ventilator, kill him before Jan 1, 2011 hits

Funnily enough, this year they aren't. They let the estate tax lapse for a year (some legal loophole in a Bush-era act that lowered it. The tax completely goes away this year, then comes back to Clinton levels in 2011. They couldn't get the votes in the Senate to change the status quo or something.)

Conclusion: If you have grandpa on a ventilator, kill him before Jan 1, 2011 hits

There was an episode of Law and Order about this very thing recently.

Sorry, I'm not too impressed by the Millionaire Next Door. It pretty much said, "Wealthy/financially independent people don't waste money. They invest it. Poor people don't and spend money on stupid stuff."

That's nothing new for me since I'm asian and our culture, in general, is very frugal. Playing "defense" is pretty simple but "offense" more complicated, at least in my eyes.

Your background contributes heavily to your reaction of the book. You have been lucky to have been taught such an important lesson early. These lessons can be lost in future generations, however, with more immersion in American culture. American society, teaches something a lot different. In the average American eyes, millionaires have more money than they know what to do with so they spend it on cars worth 6 figures houses worth 7-8 figures.

I think the book has a lot of fluff, but it has a good message. And that's discipline. The reason wealthy people are wealthy is bc of discipline. Everyone wants to be wealthy, but not everyone wants to do what it takes to BE wealthy. It's just like everyone wants to look like a Spartan from 300, but most people lack the discipline to do what's required to get there. It seems obvious to some, yet it never quite gets through.