OtakuSky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a high school student graduating this year I'm very interested in Psychiatry I was specifically wondering was wondering how much your major(I'm currently interested in psychology) can help/cripple you when applying/getting ready to apply for medical school. I'm also interested in more info surrounding the career path that leads to becoming a Psychiatrist and some what not to do's early on.

Members don't see this ad.

As a high school student graduating this year I'm very interested in Psychiatry I was specifically wondering was wondering how much your major(I'm currently interested in psychology) can help/cripple you when applying/getting ready to apply for medical school. I'm also interested in more info surrounding the career path that leads to becoming a Psychiatrist and some what not to do's early on.

Your major frankly doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot; do what you enjoy that allows you to complete and do well in the core pre requisite med school courses.

Basics of psychiatry are that it's a three year residency program, and generally is considered one of the "easier" residency programs to land.

Only things you need to avoid now OP are institutional actions (cheating especially), arrests, and pidgeonholing youself. It's awesome that you already have a passion in medicine but it's more than likely subject to change as you proceed down this path.

Good luck and enjoy college.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 year residency...

3 years plus a 1 year internship correct? I excluded the internship year given the fact residents in all programs do it, then go into the meat of their residency program for 3, 5 years etc

3 years plus a 1 year internship correct? I excluded the internship year given the fact residents in all programs do it, then go into the meat of their residency program for 3, 5 years etc

Psych in nearly all cases doesn't do the separate internship. The medicine/neuro blocks are built into the first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users