Curious Clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lukeday99

Nooby
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up my fourth year clerkship electives, and have two months open. I'm wondering what interesting, abnormal, curious, out-of-the-ordinary clerkships people have heard of out there. I know I've heard of two wilderness medicine programs, a rumor of a cruise medicine program, etc. Any others? If so, where?

Members don't see this ad.

You're class of '08 and you're setting up 4th year electives now? I don't know of any place that would schedule you that far in advance! That said, I think www.saem.org lists 4th year em electives.

Forensic pediatrics (child abuse)
Forensic psychiatry (patients who have committed crimes and may or may not be insane)
International medicine. I hear Indiana has a pretty darn cool elective for this.

'zilla

Members don't see this ad :)
Try a month in a Mexican ER. Invaluable experience; great to see things from very different perspective, as well as plenty of hands-on.

Space Medicine or some crazyness of that sort. I kid you not, its down in Florida at the Space Center. You apply and if Ok'd get to spend a month down there. I've heard about this second hand from one of my 'terns a while back. Sounds like a blast. Space Camp for Medstudents.

Good times.

eadysx said:
How does one set up such a thing?

E-

My med school wasn't far from the border; I pretty much just dropped by a Mexican hospital and asked if I could do a rotation there. Then I talked with the person who coordinates that sort of thing at the med school and it was a done deal. If your school isn't close enough to do that, you can surf the web, get contacts from foreign-trained faculty where you're at, or the like.