Curious of what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostintransit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought it would be wise to post in this thread. I made a posting regarding my application and some concerns I have in the "what are my chances?" thread.... And I want to get some opinions of those who have successfully applied and are within MD/PHD programs. The link to the thread is here... If you have the time to comment.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820288

Members don't see this ad.

So, touching up my AMCAS a bit...picking and choosing schools... and I'm looking at program websites.

Some of the top programs mention how they have a range of scores, 28-40's.

I guess my real question is.... if everything else is just amazing... letters... pubs...presentations... ECs... could someone actually have a shot (ie nab an interview) at a top 20 program with a 30 MCAT?

Or is it more like chasing some phantom... and I should just save my money?

Looking at the MCAT percentile ranges on the MSAR... I feel like it's definitely the latter... just wondering if anyone who may have had first-hand experience either getting an interview with a lower score or knowing of someone who has.

I'm having difficulties coming up with a school list while trying to be realistic/save money and at the same time not closing any doors.

1/Why are your BS and PS scores low if you performed well in the classroom?

2/Summarize your research experiences -- briefly. Why is it interesting (clinical application)?

3/I think the MCAT scores (28-40) range so widely in-part due to stratification by ethnic backgrounds (URMs and disadvantaged background applicants). Don't think that just because you have a 'good' application that you will be selected as one of the students with a poor MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no magic formula for admissions. An MCAT of 30 would really hurt an MSTP application, unless

1. you are an URM
2. Your grandpa gave $400M to the institution
3. You are legacy, or your parent is in the administration

And if none of the above, you still have a chance. There are always people with low MCAT scores in programs, and if there something about you the department just loves you will have a chance. Just know it's an astronomically lower chance than you would have with a 35 MCAT. A lot of the time the admins "screen" applications with an MCAT cut-off... but not always. And I don't know where 30 would be on that scale. So if you apply to two similarly ranked programs, X and Y, and X sets their MCAT filter at 31 and program Y at 30, then you may well be accepted to program Y (provided you do really well on the rest of your ap and interviews) and may not even get a secondary ap to program X.

Enjoy.

So I thought it would be wise to post in this thread. I made a posting regarding my application and some concerns I have in the "what are my chances?" thread.... And I want to get some opinions of those who have successfully applied and are within MD/PHD programs. The link to the thread is here... If you have the time to comment.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820288

Your story is very similar to mine and I did fine when I applied. Shoot me an IM if you want any tips.