Curious....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R3D2P1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was just wondering...Why did you all choose to go into dentistry? Was there a defining moment that made you interested in the field? Were you always interested in the profession? I have been told that it is an awesome lifestyle with having autonomy and flexibility but are there other reasons as to why you chose to go into this field (I am in no way bashing the profession...just curious).

Have you ever considered going into medicine? and for those who chose the med path but then ventured into dentistry...what were your reasons behind the decision?

Thanks!
R3D2P1 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why soemone likes tenis, but someone likes golf???
Why someone likes female, but someone likes male??????
Why someone likes Republic, but someone likes demarcy?????????

So, you can know why people in the forum are so interested in becoming a dentist.

If you are interested, please shadow some dentists and see what they do.
As far as i know, you wont get the true reason without actually being there next to your dentist's patient. Have you shadow any physicians? Why do u like to be a physician? Or rather, why do you want to be a premed?

Members don't see this ad :)
i pulled out my first baby molar tooth.....SCARY... and my baby tooth of my cousin..back in VIetnam in the old days...12 years ago....SCary stuffs like this bonds me to dentistry :clap:

Hi my1molar,
i can see that one from you name =)
wow, did it hurt?

just a bit I guess, I was so thrilled that possibly all my pain receptors died half :laugh: ANyways, thanks a lot for your replying. :thumbup:

For me it isn't about the chicks or the endless parties, like a lot of shallow individuals on here. It's about the chance to take over for Dr. Dorfman on Extreme Makeover. That and my mom is a dentist, so I've been around it my whole life.

Why I like dentistry:

- financially stable
- prestigious
- work for myself
- good hours
- perform a vital health service (don't deal with lives)

Why, Why, Why??? .... I just say some of the following:

- It's medically rewarding (both patient and me)
- I'm still a doctor, just not a physician.
- I don't have to be on call...ever (OMS doesn't count)
- I have one of the most direct effects of alleviating patient pain amongst doctors
- I don't have to worry about terminal illness with my patients (for the most part)
- I am a professional, and this is very prestigious, humbling and respectable
- I can work when I want, where I want, without someone telling me to do what I don't want to do.
- I can take vacations at my will
- I get paid more than enough to do all the above and live a very comfortable life

.... and plenty of time to do all the other things I wanted in LIFE.

Calculus1 said:
For me it isn't about the chicks or the endless parties, like a lot of shallow individuals on here. It's about the chance to take over for Dr. Dorfman on Extreme Makeover. That and my mom is a dentist, so I've been around it my whole life.

Nice Calc, that's exactly what I want to do: cosmetic dentistry. I want to specialize in makeovers. :cool:

Calculus1 said:

Dr. Dorfman from NY does Extreme Makeover?? Or is this another Dr. Dorfman. Is he bald?