Curious...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownBradPitt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, would a rec letter from the Vice President of a 40,00+ school, who knows you on a first name basis, be weighted very heavily in the admissions process?

I know gpa, dat, extracurriculars etc etc are extremely important..but im just wondering because im lookin for people to write my recs and curious as to if admission councils would really put value behind it?

Members don't see this ad.

unless you have worked closely with him on some university project it probably wont help you. schools want letters from ppl who have seen you in class, in the lab, or at a job and can comment on your personality and work ethic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it weighs more, way way more because it's gonna show that he knows you personally. But make sure that you ask him to write you a very "PERSONAL" letter as opposed to a business-like recommendation. It's gonna do magic trust me.

I don't know if you should trust anybody...use it as a letter of rec. what it's for, it's not your key into dental school. If you're relying on that letter for admission it's not going to work, and like I said don't trust anybody, because when you don't get the results you hoped for, you're going to be the one who's down, not the person that said "trust me" so regardless of what people think, treat it as just another letter, because you never know.

Just out of curiousity, would a rec letter from the Vice President of a 40,00+ school, who knows you on a first name basis, be weighted very heavily in the admissions process?

I know gpa, dat, extracurriculars etc etc are extremely important..but im just wondering because im lookin for people to write my recs and curious as to if admission councils would really put value behind it?

If he/she really had clout, all he/she would need to do is to pick up the phone and call the Dean of Admissions on your behalf. Of course, this assumes that the VP can attest to more than just your first name.

If the VP knows you well enough to write that recommendation, go for it, but I'd be cautious about asking anyone who doesn't have a close connection with you just to impress the apps people with their status.

i think the whole point of the LORs is to get to know you as a person on a personal level. sure you might have the grades and the test score but is that all you are?