Curious....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shptwnbllr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried to find an answer to this question but can't seem to find a thread answering it. I am 21 and have recently gotten out of the Marine Corps. I live on my own and have to work a full time job to support myself. I will be going to school to become an RN soon. I would ultimately like to go to med school once I finish school to become an RN. Is it possible for a RN to work full time and attend med school at the same time? I know they both require lots of dedication, and I wanted to see if anyone has gone to med school and worked as a RN full time.

Members don't see this ad.

you cant work any job full time and go to medical school.

Thank you. That is what i was kind of figuring. I will just have to save up a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its also a bit of a waste to go to nursing school with the intent of going to med school. Health care professionals have the lowest rate of med school acceptance anyway.

If you already know you are NOT going to work as a nurse, I think it is a little rude to take someone's spot in a nursing program. That person that didn't get in because you did may have really wanted to be a nurse for the rest of their life. Major in something you enjoy and are good at. Med school doesn't care what your undergraduate degree is in. They care about your grades, your MCAT score, your LORs, and your ECs.

If you really want to major in something that will "help" you in med school, get a science degree or maybe a psychology degree. But if music or English is your thing, go for it. The #1 goal is to enjoy what you are doing and do well at it.

Get a job at a hospital. Maybe become an EMT. Volunteer somewhere.