1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

curiousity amazes us all

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by BrownBradPitt, Mar 5, 2007.

1. BrownBradPitt

BrownBradPitt Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    So how "great" would a LOR be if it was written by your vice president of the university?

Would it weigh a lot for the application?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student
    as long as you spell check your application

4. wigglytooth

wigglytooth Assistant Wiggle-ator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    If you know your vp and your vp knows you, it would be a good LOR... if your vp doesn't know jack about you and you have someone who knows you on a more personal level, then go for the latter.

5. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    Are you coming up short in LORs? Go hit the local homeless shelter. Buy someone lunch and you have a new personal reference. Just bring the LOR with you, prepped for signature.

6. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    I agree with the people above that it all depends on the depth of the letter. Just cause a letter of rec comes from the VP, doesn't mean anything if that person can't write something personal about you. And, just cause he's the VP of the school, may not mean anything to the people who read it. Remember that the importance of the letter of recs isn't really about the person who is writing it...it's about the person it is written for.

When I was choosing some of my letter of rec writers...I had options. I was lucky, I had done a lot of ASB stuff at my school. I could have asked the VP of Student Affairs at our school to write me a letter. His only direct boss is the President of the school, but I opted for other people who knew me better. The people I chose may not have the fancy title...but there letters were probably aces above anything the VP would have been able to write me cause our only relationship was a professional level where I met in council meetings and smaller meeting a couple times a month with him. But..like they said...if he really knows you well, and you don't think there are other people who know you better and could write the letters...than ask him or her.

7. BuckeyeDDS

Resident [Any Field]
    When I was in undergrad, I worked pretty extensively with the President of the University. I had him write me a letter when I applied to dental school. Only one interviewer even said a thing about it. I'm not saying good LORs are not important, but I can tell you right now that they care more about what it says than who wrote it.

8. BioABC

BioABC Fibula Jaw

Pre-Dental
    ...hypothetically, you had a current professor, an old professor, and/or an alumna from the dental school your applying to write a rec for you(taking into consideration that you do shadow experience with them)? Would that make a considerable amount of difference, or would what was written still be more important than the names?

9. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    Don't waste too much of your time - you'll still need three science LORs or one health sciences advisory committee letter. You'll possibly also need a character reference LOR and a LOR from a dentist you've shadowed.

10. NavyDDS

Pre-Dental
    I have yet to be amased by this post:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

11. gatormichigan

I think (in my opinion) the only criteria that a rec letter needs to have is that it is written by someone with a PhD or is from a dr of some sort. The letter needs to say that they HIGHLY rec. you and that if you were a dentist they can't wait to be your pt. AND the most important, it needs to reflect that the person knows you very well and of course say great things about you too.