Curiousity Killed the Cat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Sitting around just day dreaming about when/if I get accepted with nothing to do except consider and then reconsider my chances.

So, to that end, what do you all think? Be as blunt as possible, I'm not sensitive.

PAT 25, QR 17, RC 23, BIO 20, GC 22, OC 17, TS 20, AA 20

I'm a non-traditional student with a degree in Econ/Philosophy/Poli Sci. I worked in finance for 3 years but realized I made a mistake in college and after some life changing events, decided to take over my father's practice (he is also a dentist).

My GPA overall at a 4 year was a 3.36 (didn't really focus too hard) and my GPA at a local community college for BCP is 3.98 which pulled my overall up to a 3.49. I haven't even started my organic series yet which actually causes me to be pleased with my organic score of 17 on the DAT.

I know I'm applying late (was waiting on my summer courses to post grades). My GPA was verified today finally and my DAT was taken 8/25 or so. I am applying to ASDOH, UW, UoP, Colorado, Tufts, UNLV, Oregon, NYU, Midwestern and Western.

Thoughts?

-david :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

to be absolutely honest with you i definitely think that you have a good shot. Your AA and TS are good. You're GPA is okay especially in the sciences. No one can tell you for sure, but i think that you will probably get an interview if not a couple. Good luck!

I think you have a shot. Your community college gpa wont have too much of an affect but your undergrad gpa is average, and your DAT is competitive (the 17's may be an issue for some schools but overall your DAT is awesome good job!). I know midwestern is BIG on reading comprehension so your 23 will look really good. Just keep your head up! I didnt finish my app till sep 2 with similar scores (check my predents), interviewed in Feb and got it, so stay positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are a Washington resident, your chances at UW are pretty slim. To a lesser extent, the same goes with Colorado and Oregon, but I also applied to those two schools.

If I were you, I'd throw Boston U on the list as well.

Good Luck. Oh, to answer your question, I think you have a 50/50 shot. Would have been 75/25 if you applied early.

I am a Washington resident... We'll see. I'm going to look at Boston. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Unless you are a Washington resident, your chances at UW are pretty slim. To a lesser extent, the same goes with Colorado and Oregon, but I also applied to those two schools.

If I were you, I'd throw Boston U on the list as well.

Good Luck. Oh, to answer your question, I think you have a 50/50 shot. Would have been 75/25 if you applied early.

Oregon has minimum "15" for each section.

hey david - my "life" story sounds eerily similar to yours and our dats (21/20/21) are pretty much the same as well. i got into 5/12 schools i applied to - uconn, maryland, tufts, l'ville, nova. I would make sure since you are a career changer that you somehow find a way to get in clinic experience - either at your dad's practice or somewhere else. Also, if you get an interview at any schools they will be skeptical of organic - not because of the low score (a 17 is DAMN good having not taken the classes yet) but becasue you have yet to start the sequence. Personally i think that shows a lack of foresight on your behalf so if you dont have a good reason - ie bad planning, i would come up with something clever to spin it. Also, throw in an app to some stretch schools...the only top tier school you applied to is UW and they are tough to get into out of state.