Current applicant, When should I make alternative plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefull!!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I applied all over this cycle but primarily to DO schools. I had great success building foundations for connections at a few schools, which most likely will help my odds. That being said I interviewed at Lake Erie and OU HCOM early January, LMU DCOM 3/11, and Idaho today for a waitlist seat. I have been waitlisted at every school. That being said, obviously I am still hopeful one school will work out! However, I want to be realistic.

I have student loans, under 20k, from undergrad. Within 6 months will have to begin paying them (AKA will need a job or need to be in school). How do I know when to give up and start applying for jobs and move on from the cycle? I dont want to lead companies on by interviewing for long term positions if that isnt realistic.

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s quite possible you hear back over the next 2-3 months as people get into other schools and drop acceptances at the schools you listed. Hopefully you hear back and have multiple options to choose from. Lake Erie and OU HCOM would be better options over the other schools as they are established (even at the newer LECOM locations).

It’s nice to try to save the time of employers, but I think it might make sense to get the ball rolling on applying for jobs by the end of May. It takes time to get resumes prepared and look for the jobs. And then more weeks can pass by with scheduling the different rounds of interviews, and the wait time to hear back on final decisions from companies. So you don’t want to put too much pressure on yourself since you said you had about 6 months left before payments start.

I think it’s quite possible you hear back over the next 2-3 months as people get into other schools and drop acceptances at the schools you listed. Hopefully you hear back and have multiple options to choose from. Lake Erie and OU HCOM would be better options over the other schools as they are established (even at the newer LECOM locations).

It’s nice to try to save the time of employers, but I think it might make sense to get the ball rolling on applying for jobs by the end of May. It takes time to get resumes prepared and look for the jobs. And then more weeks can pass by with scheduling the different rounds of interviews, and the wait time to hear back on final decisions from companies. So you don’t want to put too much pressure on yourself since you said you had about 6 months left before payments start.
Thank you very much!! I was just thinking if the decision was between Idaho and Lake erie what my choice would be so I appreciate the insight on this too!