Current ARNG officer applying to med school - what happens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted555445

I won't be applying to medical school until next year, but I am interested to know what happens when/if I get in. I am applying to USUHS and I know I need a DD368 for that, but if I don't get in or don't choose USUHS I don't plan to do HPSP or an MDSSP (Guard) scholarship program.

If I don't make any additional commitments to the military can I still switch into a medical unit in a medical student slot (an AMEDD recruiter told me there is some weird MOS for medical students) while I'm in medical school? I'd love to get out of a line unit into one that would let my classes and research come first, and this is definitely not my current unit. However, I could see NG having an issue with that since they paid for my college and I'm basically shamming for the last couple years of my contract in a position that doesn't do anything. My contract should be up before I complete medical school, so I would have spent a couple years in a useless medical student slot (maybe the medical student MOS actually does something?) without giving anything back. Any advice?

Edit: found the MOS/AOC I was referring to. 00E67. Can I still be slotted into a position with that AOC even if I have another AOC (11A) and I would be getting out before I could be useful as a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the answer is no. 00E is designated for students in contract with the military. It's not designed to just have people chill out and finish their contracts.

The only thing you can do is go to your unit and ask them. I don't believe a recruiter can help you since you are not signing up for anything. I'd bet your CO will expect you to still perform your job as an infantry officer.

I believe the answer is no. 00E is designated for students in contract with the military. It's not designed to just have people chill out and finish their contracts.

The only thing you can do is go to your unit and ask them. I don't believe a recruiter can help you since you are not signing up for anything. I'd bet your CO will expect you to still perform your job as an infantry officer.
I thought that would be the answer. Sigh I'm really not interested in signing another contract with the Guard, but I would honestly consider it just to avoid being in a high-op-tempo unit during medical school. Obviously its likely I would IST to wherever I end up, but I feel like IN units all have similar schedules. I might consider putting in a branch transfers packet to med services, they might be more flexible.

Maybe I will talk to a recruiter to see what the MDSSP process is... and the Guard gets me again...