Current Baylor PsyD students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskimo Spy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a career change from information technology to psychology, and the program I would be most interested in is the PsyD at Baylor. So, here are some questions I had for any current or recent students of the program...

1. I spoke with the program coordinator at Baylor recently, and what I understood was that the program offers paid practicum of ~$11,000, a stipend of ~$19,000, and almost full tuition remission. So, that would mean the student receives ~$30,000 in assistance, and that is separate from the tuition remission. Is this a factual understanding, or did I misunderstand what she was telling me?

2. Is anyone an older student with a family? I am 39, and likely wouldn't finish my undergrad work and graduate studies until I was around 46. I obviously have some concerns about starting a new career in my 40's, and I would really like to hear from someone whose situation is similar to mine.

3. How is living in Waco? How are the public schools?

I'm trying to make a major life decision here, so any other words of wisdom are certainly welcome, thanks for any help you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I don't go to Baylor -- I'm at Rutgers Psyd. But I am someone who started the program at age 43 and won't be licensed until close to age 50. And I'm married with three school-aged kids. What would you like to know? :)

2. Program Costs

a. Current first year cohort

i. Summer: $694 per credit hour x 6 hours= $4164 (first summer paid by the program)
ii. Fall/Spring: $925 per credit hour x 22 hours= $20350 (some hours paid by program, depending on number of students and practicum placements) The financial package the students received equaled $30,837 which included tuition remission, practicum salary, and stipend.
iii. Fees (not paid for by the program): $378 for summer. $1095 for fall and spring. Books: ~$600 for the first year.
b. Tuition adjustments: Students in the first three years of the program receive approximately $29,500 per year in the form of practicum salaries, tuition remission, and stipend. In years 2 and 3 of the program, students receive approximately $30,000 per year in the form of practicum salaries, tuition remission, and stipend. At their paid practicums, students receive around $12000 a year ($1000 or a little less a month). These combined sources of support cover the costs of tuition for each year with modest additional support ($3,000 - $6,000).​

That's the best I could find.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I don't go to Baylor -- I'm at Rutgers Psyd. But I am someone who started the program at age 43 and won't be licensed until close to age 50. And I'm married with three school-aged kids. What would you like to know? :)

Where to start? I guess the first question is, are you changing careers as well? If so, are you going to be taking a pay cut to change to psychology?

Were you the major source of income, and how is that affecting your family by going to grad school?

Did you have to move to attend Rutgers? If so, how did the family respond to it?

Are you concerned about starting over in a career at this point in your life?

I assume since you are pursuing a PsyD you are interested in therapy. What are your plans for practice? Are you interested in private practice? Where do you plan to practice? What are the requirements before you can open a private practice where you want to work?

I guess I'll start with these questions, and pelt you with more later :)

Where to start? I guess the first question is, are you changing careers as well? If so, are you going to be taking a pay cut to change to psychology? Yes. I was previously an attorney. The pay cut has been difficult, but I was fortunate to have saved some and have a spouse's income to help out. We've gone into debt as a result of my career change, though. I'm looking forward to earning more soon -- my oldest is headed to college in two years.

Were you the major source of income, and how is that affecting your family by going to grad school? See above.

Did you have to move to attend Rutgers? If so, how did the family respond to it? I didn't have to move, fortunately. I've been doing a long commute (roundtrip 2.5-3 hrs daily) for 5 yrs now. That's been a major drawback, but moving wasn't a good option for my family.

Are you concerned about starting over in a career at this point in your life? Not really -- at least not anymore. I love what I'm doing and finally feel more like a psychologist than a lawyer. This professional identity transformation took several years in my case. I'm really excited that I made the switch and can't wait to be done. I just have dissertation and internship left at this point. And licensure, but that's another story...

I assume since you are pursuing a PsyD you are interested in therapy. What are your plans for practice? Are you interested in private practice? Where do you plan to practice? What are the requirements before you can open a private practice where you want to work? Immediately after graduation I plan to work in a hospital or counseling center to accrue supervised hours for licensure. I may want to continue working in this type of institution, although I suspect I'll also open a private practice (either full or part time). In New Jersey you need 1750 post-doctoral supervised hours of practice before you can get licensed and open a practice. Most states have similar requirements, but specifics vary quite a bit from state to state. Check out the ASPPB website. They oversee this, as well as the national licensing exam, the EPPP.

As you can see, becoming a professional psychologist is a long road.

I guess I'll start with these questions, and pelt you with more later :)
Pelt away! If the questions are more personal, I can also try to reply via PM.

Tuition is $20000, so IF that's fully remissed, then you'll have $9000 as a "stipend"

I am considering a career change from information technology to psychology, and the program I would be most interested in is the PsyD at Baylor. So, here are some questions I had for any current or recent students of the program...

1. I spoke with the program coordinator at Baylor recently, and what I understood was that the program offers paid practicum of ~$11,000, a stipend of ~$19,000, and almost full tuition remission. So, that would mean the student receives ~$30,000 in assistance, and that is separate from the tuition remission. Is this a factual understanding, or did I misunderstand what she was telling me?

2. Is anyone an older student with a family? I am 39, and likely wouldn't finish my undergrad work and graduate studies until I was around 46. I obviously have some concerns about starting a new career in my 40's, and I would really like to hear from someone whose situation is similar to mine.

3. How is living in Waco? How are the public schools?

I'm trying to make a major life decision here, so any other words of wisdom are certainly welcome, thanks for any help you can offer!

I interviewed at Baylor this past spring. What you just wrote is close to what we were informed also regarding the financial assistance. They were accepting fewer students this year and offering more financial aid I beleive, than in previous years. I remember them saying after all expenses paid via remissions, we'd have like 8-13k/year in stipend (go towards living expenses). If you were saying that you thought she said 30k/year AFTER remission..I don't believe that is accurate as far as I recall.

That being said...I didn't care for Waco..at all. And it isn't even because it's a smaller town. I'd wager that the school that I did accept actuallly is even less populated than Waco..though I'm not sure.

I thoguht when I began this process that I wanted to get a PsyD...and that was true up until my interviews. But with 2 PsyD interviews and 2 PhD interviews, the PsyD ones fell to the bottom of my list.

don't misunderstand, me not caring for the program had absolutely nothing to do with the quality. Its amount and quality of clinical training opportunities and faculty was unrivaled. For me, a deal breaker was a much more obvious Baptist influence than I thought there would be. I was told by one interviewer explicitly that I could be termined immediately from the University if officials outside of the department found out about a certain "lifestyle choice" of mine (PM me if you want more specific details... I don't want to seem to Bash the program, because it really is a good one) they would be unable to defend me. For me, Baylor quickly fell from #1 on my list (pre-interviews) to last place (for the schools I actually interviewed at) due to a very bad fit between me and the program. Again..has nothing to do with the quality.

Lastly... am I correct in understanding that you still have to finish undergrad? Have you applied to graduate schools yet? Baylor is the cream of the crop when it comes to PsyD's, and you really don't even have to make this decision now unless you actually were accepted (which you may have been and I am just misunderstanding). It's good to be prepared, but no need to agonize and come to a conclusion about one particular school when the percentage of accepted students there usually falls within 4 and 6%.

Hope this helps a bit!!

I just wanted to echo what Bama Psych said about not being too narrow about where you apply. The acceptance rates at most psych doctoral programs is very low -- so it pays not to put your eggs in one basket. If you'd be interested in relocating anyway, why not look at a number of Psyd and Phd programs you and your family might be happy at?

I spoke with the program director today, and she confirmed that what I said was indeed fact; you receive a stipend, paid practicum, and full tuition remission (excluding most fees).

They pay roughly $11,000 in practicum, $18,000 in stipends, and the tuition remission is on top of all that.

I just wanted to echo what Bama Psych said about not being too narrow about where you apply. The acceptance rates at most psych doctoral programs is very low -- so it pays not to put your eggs in one basket. If you'd be interested in relocating anyway, why not look at a number of Psyd and Phd programs you and your family might be happy at?

Well, one reason I prefer the Baylor program is that it's not going to take me 6-7 years to complete it. Most students at Baylor finish in 4 years. I am not averse to looking at other PsyD programs, but I have no desire to attend a PhD program that averages 7 years to graduate.

Second, Waco is not terribly far from where we live now, so my wife could still see her father on a regular basis, which would be an issue if we moved out of state.

Third, I contacted the closest PhD program to me (UNT) to find out about their financial assistance, and they basically told me that I should expect to live on loans and very little else (meaning ~$12,000 of practicum) while attending their PhD program. While I know this is not an indication that most PhD programs are not as well funded as Baylor (I know most PhD programs are better funded than PsyD programs), the schools in this area are not competitive with Baylor in terms of funding. Maybe I missed an obvious school or program that finds enough to make sure their students don't go $100,000 in debt, so anyone who can prove me wrong would be most welcome!

Last edited:
I can certainly understand your reasons for liking Baylor. The money they're offering is very generous. I certainly don't get anything near that amount of funding in my program. And if you live not too far from Waco that's definitely a plus for your family too.

Do the Baylor students really get done in 4 yrs? If so that seems really quick for a doctoral program. If you mean 4 yrs until internship, that's the norm in many doctoral programs. About half my cohort left for internship after 4th yr; the rest of us left after 5th yr. The majority of the class a yr behind me are getting out for internship after year 4. In my case I was able to find a grad assistantship that offered tuition remisssion and a stipend, which effectively made my 5th yr at Rutgers no different financially than what most of us make on internship (which isn't that much, btw).

If you can get into Baylor, it sounds great. Given how few people apply to just one program, what do you think are other options for you? If the funding is a deal-breaker, my guess is that you'll have to look at Phd programs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, yes, I meant 4 years until internship.

And given the fact that I bring in most of the money to the family, I simply can't go into a program that reduces my "income" to $12,000 a year, for 4-7 years. I simply can't do it.

As far as other programs, I haven't really looked yet, I was starting with Baylor and working out from there. Any suggestions? I was planning on researching other programs today.

Its hard to make recommendations without more information on what you're looking for. There are plenty of programs (I'd say about half of PhDs) where you can get out in 4 years, and a bunch more where it is possible to get out in 4 years if you want. Many times at the big name schools, people are not in a rush to get out...it takes a time to build up a CV to a point where you can be competitive for academic jobs. I'm planning on 5, but am not opposed to 6 pre-internship if it means I will be in a better position to find a job when I do graduate. If I had come in wanting to get out in 4, I think I could have managed that even here where its geared towards 5. Of course, there are also places that keep students so busy they couldn't get out in 4 if they wanted to.

Most people apply 10-15 places, though some get by with less. To have any chance of getting in you have to "fit" with the program. Finances are obviously an important consideration, but if your primary motivation in applying to Baylor is proximity and stipend, I doubt you'll even get an interview, let alone an acceptance. You need to be thinking about what your career goals are, what kind of practicums they offer, what populations you will have access to, what kind of research is being done, etc.

As others have said, this is really completely different from applying to undergrad. Undergrad you can get away with looking at the name of the school and where it is, and maybe some other factors (size, maybe department if you are set on a major, although tons of people switch majors anyways). Grad school apps are much finer grained...you should know what individual faculty members do in their careers and how it relates to your interests, etc.

Eskimo Sky- Maybe a place to start is to ask how you came to the place of wanting to do psychology?

What have you been doing up to this point, and have you been taking psych classes as an undergrad?

What aspects of psychology are you most interested in? Do you like research and have you had much experience with it? How about clinically-related experience? What populations do you like working with -- what have you done up to this point?

How good of a test-taker are you? What's your guess about how you'll do on the GRE's? How's your GPA?

How much do you love the field of psych vs wanting financial security? Don't get me wrong, psychologists can make nice livings eventually, but there are maybe a good 6-10 yrs before this will likely happen. If you make good money now, I can well appreciate how difficult it might be to give that up, especially if there's a wife and/or kids in the mix.

Have you thought about alternatives that will be cheaper and get you out quicker, such as masters in counseling or an MSW? Is this at all appealing to you? The other thing is that Masters level programs often allow you to go part-time and still work your day-job. I've never seen a psychology doctoral program that allows this -- it's not really feasible.

I hope my many questions don't come off as badgering or insensitive. It may be that you've thought about all of these things already. but if not, these questions are a good place to start. Let me know if there's more information I can provide.:)

Its hard to make recommendations without more information on what you're looking for. There are plenty of programs (I'd say about half of PhDs) where you can get out in 4 years, and a bunch more where it is possible to get out in 4 years if you want. Many times at the big name schools, people are not in a rush to get out...it takes a time to build up a CV to a point where you can be competitive for academic jobs. I'm planning on 5, but am not opposed to 6 pre-internship if it means I will be in a better position to find a job when I do graduate. If I had come in wanting to get out in 4, I think I could have managed that even here where its geared towards 5. Of course, there are also places that keep students so busy they couldn't get out in 4 if they wanted to.

Most people apply 10-15 places, though some get by with less. To have any chance of getting in you have to "fit" with the program. Finances are obviously an important consideration, but if your primary motivation in applying to Baylor is proximity and stipend, I doubt you'll even get an interview, let alone an acceptance. You need to be thinking about what your career goals are, what kind of practicums they offer, what populations you will have access to, what kind of research is being done, etc.

As others have said, this is really completely different from applying to undergrad. Undergrad you can get away with looking at the name of the school and where it is, and maybe some other factors (size, maybe department if you are set on a major, although tons of people switch majors anyways). Grad school apps are much finer grained...you should know what individual faculty members do in their careers and how it relates to your interests, etc.

I have no desire to work in an academic environment. I know what populations I would like to work with. I've thought all of this out, and while some of it may change a bit depending on my experiences, my point was, no matter how well of a fit a program may be, if I have to live on $12,000 a year, that simply isn't something I'm in a position to do.

I wish I could simply quit my job, go to school for 6+ years and go into thousands of dollars of debt to achieve my goal, but it's simply not an option. So, I have to reduce my options to those schools that can offer more financial assistance. From that group, I'll need to find the school that is most closely matched with my career goals. That's a clear reality for me.

Eskimo Sky- Maybe a place to start is to ask how you came to the place of wanting to do psychology?

What have you been doing up to this point, and have you been taking psych classes as an undergrad?

What aspects of psychology are you most interested in? Do you like research and have you had much experience with it? How about clinically-related experience? What populations do you like working with -- what have you done up to this point?

How good of a test-taker are you? What's your guess about how you'll do on the GRE's? How's your GPA?

How much do you love the field of psych vs wanting financial security? Don't get me wrong, psychologists can make nice livings eventually, but there are maybe a good 6-10 yrs before this will likely happen. If you make good money now, I can well appreciate how difficult it might be to give that up, especially if there's a wife and/or kids in the mix.

Have you thought about alternatives that will be cheaper and get you out quicker, such as masters in counseling or an MSW? Is this at all appealing to you? The other thing is that Masters level programs often allow you to go part-time and still work your day-job. I've never seen a psychology doctoral program that allows this -- it's not really feasible.

I hope my many questions don't come off as badgering or insensitive. It may be that you've thought about all of these things already. but if not, these questions are a good place to start. Let me know if there's more information I can provide.:)

I'll answer your questions in order...

1. I became interested in psychology in therapy. I found the ability of a good therapist to guide people to reflective thought to be fascinating. Of course, part of it was the desire for personal insight, and part of it was the desire to eventually be in private practice. I've always had an ability to help people with their troubling issues, and people are typically willing to tell me things they would tell no one else.

2. I have been and continue to be an IT manager, and yes, I have been working towards my psychology degree. I have about 36 hours remaining to complete my degree.

3. At this point, I am most interested in psychopathology, CBT, and speech and language. I have very little clinical or research experience, but I just changed schools, so my plan was to start meeting professors and trying to begin some internal and external research and clinical volunteer work.

4. I'm a very good test taker, and my GPA is currently 3.9. I'm sure I will do very well on the GRE, I've taken some practice tests, and did very well. I know I would need to invest a good amount of time preparing for it, but I am ready to do that.

5. Yes, I make a good living now, so you're right, that's part of why it is a difficult decision, along with the probability of having to uproot my family. But, I clearly have a strong desire to do it, or I wouldn't be trying to find a way to make it work!

6. Yes, I have considered an MS instead, but it's simply not going to pay enough to be a realistic option. I don't expect to get rich doing this, but I do have a minimum salary I need to make things work. Sadly, I did like the concept of social work, but the reality was something else entirely.

And no, you're not coming across in a negative way at all, I appreciate the questions, they're good food for thought. Thanks.

you might want to compare your desired income to the APA salary data.

there are some misconceptions about how much psychologists generally make.

To the original poster. Go to your local barnes and noble and buy a copy of the insider's guide to graduate programs in clinical and counseling psychology. This is a MUST have. It is the bible for applicants. It will give you unbiased education on psyd vs phd, student debt outcomes, statistics on every accredited program in the country and so much more. Do yourself a favor and read it to get a lot of your current and future questions answered.

To the original poster. Go to your local barnes and noble and buy a copy of the insider's guide to graduate programs in clinical and counseling psychology. This is a MUST have. It is the bible for applicants. It will give you unbiased education on psyd vs phd, student debt outcomes, statistics on every accredited program in the country and so much more. Do yourself a favor and read it to get a lot of your current and future questions answered.

Great advice! I found this book incredibly helpful when I was going through the process of deciding what to do.

While I very much respect your point about needing to provide for your family, I can't help but feel that you're searching for Atlantis. Most programs won't provide much above $15,000 in stipend, and most stipends are designed to cover cost of living for one, single (and very frugal) person, not whole families. Whether that's right or wrong, it's how the system works. Additonally, at Baylor, you aren't likely to get a funded practicum--or any practicum, really--your first year because most programs don't have students seeing clients until the second year, and even if they have students start seeing clients the first year, usually the first year or more of clinical practice is confined to specific, program-based and supported training clinics. These clinicals (almost?) never pay students.

Like others said, you have to have lots of solid research experience and some good clinical experience to have a descent shot, as well as well-defined, fairly narrow research interests that match up well with the faculty to which you're applying. Location as a primary criterion generally won't work.

Finally, I agree that you need to see the salaries that psychologists actually make. They don't make that much more than LPCs/LCSWs in most cases.

Good luck! :luck:

I've had a copy of that since I started researching the field five years ago, thanks though!

While I very much respect your point about needing to provide for your family, I can't help but feel that you're searching for Atlantis. Most programs won't provide much above $15,000 in stipend, and most stipends are designed to cover cost of living for one, single (and very frugal) person, not whole families. Whether that's right or wrong, it's how the system works. Additonally, at Baylor, you aren't likely to get a funded practicum--or any practicum, really--your first year because most programs don't have students seeing clients until the second year, and even if they have students start seeing clients the first year, usually the first year or more of clinical practice is confined to specific, program-based and supported training clinics. These clinicals (almost?) never pay students.

Like others said, you have to have lots of solid research experience and some good clinical experience to have a descent shot, as well as well-defined, fairly narrow research interests that match up well with the faculty to which you're applying. Location as a primary criterion generally won't work.

Finally, I agree that you need to see the salaries that psychologists actually make. They don't make that much more than LPCs/LCSWs in most cases.

Good luck! :luck:

Two of the three areas I'm interested in are areas that match up with Baylor, I agree with you on that.

Also, I've looked at the APA salary surveys, among others. I don't expect to become rich doing this, that's for sure!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

By the way, I don't want anyone thinking I expect someone to pay me a king's ransom to go to school, I'm just trying to determine if it's possible to do this without asking my family to eat top ramen and live under a bridge. I really, really want to go to grad school, but sometimes life doesn't let you do what you desire to do. If that's the case, that's okay, but I would hate to let the possibility slip by if I could manage to do it.

I have no desire to work in an academic environment. I know what populations I would like to work with. I've thought all of this out, and while some of it may change a bit depending on my experiences, my point was, no matter how well of a fit a program may be, if I have to live on $12,000 a year, that simply isn't something I'm in a position to do.

I wish I could simply quit my job, go to school for 6+ years and go into thousands of dollars of debt to achieve my goal, but it's simply not an option. So, I have to reduce my options to those schools that can offer more financial assistance. From that group, I'll need to find the school that is most closely matched with my career goals. That's a clear reality for me.

My point was not that you need to spend 7 years sinking into debt, just that you asked for suggestions and we really can't give any good ones without more information on what you are looking for besides "something where you can get out in 4 years". You need to build up your CV in your "specialty" so to speak. This is especially important given you want to go somewhere with decent funding, because they are generally the most competitive. If you didn't need a stipend and were willing to sink 200 grand in tuition, you could probably get away with an unfocused application. There are a huge number of programs where you can get out in 4 years, but a large number would be truly horrific choices for you depending on what your goals are. If we know what populations you want to work with, whether you are more interested in being a specialist in a medical setting, or a generalist with a private practice, etc. we might have suggestions to offer.

Last edited:
I interviewed at Baylor this past spring. What you just wrote is close to what we were informed also regarding the financial assistance. They were accepting fewer students this year and offering more financial aid I beleive, than in previous years. I remember them saying after all expenses paid via remissions, we'd have like 8-13k/year in stipend (go towards living expenses). If you were saying that you thought she said 30k/year AFTER remission..I don't believe that is accurate as far as I recall.

That being said...I didn't care for Waco..at all. And it isn't even because it's a smaller town. I'd wager that the school that I did accept actuallly is even less populated than Waco..though I'm not sure.

I thoguht when I began this process that I wanted to get a PsyD...and that was true up until my interviews. But with 2 PsyD interviews and 2 PhD interviews, the PsyD ones fell to the bottom of my list.

don't misunderstand, me not caring for the program had absolutely nothing to do with the quality. Its amount and quality of clinical training opportunities and faculty was unrivaled. For me, a deal breaker was a much more obvious Baptist influence than I thought there would be. I was told by one interviewer explicitly that I could be termined immediately from the University if officials outside of the department found out about a certain "lifestyle choice" of mine (PM me if you want more specific details... I don't want to seem to Bash the program, because it really is a good one) they would be unable to defend me. For me, Baylor quickly fell from #1 on my list (pre-interviews) to last place (for the schools I actually interviewed at) due to a very bad fit between me and the program. Again..has nothing to do with the quality.

Lastly... am I correct in understanding that you still have to finish undergrad? Have you applied to graduate schools yet? Baylor is the cream of the crop when it comes to PsyD's, and you really don't even have to make this decision now unless you actually were accepted (which you may have been and I am just misunderstanding). It's good to be prepared, but no need to agonize and come to a conclusion about one particular school when the percentage of accepted students there usually falls within 4 and 6%.

Hope this helps a bit!!

Hi- I am a 4th year Baylor student. I haven't been on here for a while so I didn't see this message. I can tell you that Baylor as of now offers full tuition remission plus about 12,000-17,000 a year (depending on which practicum you receive). Your 4th year in the program you receive a stipend of 19,000. There are also many who have scholarships on top of the amount received that add up to an extra 4,000-8,000 a year. First year practicums are paid and you start the moment you get here. Baylor's program starts about June 29th or so which is a little unique so your practicums run from July 1st to June 30th each year and then you switch. Many people only get 12,000 a year after tuition remission, although they have been offering more scholarships in recent years.
The graduate program is not religious or generally conservative at all- in fact it is pretty liberal and there is a good mix of diversity among the students. Waco itself is a conservative town, and the undergraduate population at Baylor is more religious so there can be some culture shock depending on which area of the country you're coming from. Many people have been able to go through debt free although many also take additional loans to live on. The cost of living is quite low and there are graduate student apartments and flats at reduced rates. The program provides three years of practicum plus one paid year of research work (4th year). You are required to complete a dissertation and most of the professors are quite research oriented. The program has become much more research focused in recent years, but still gives you an amazing 3000+ hours of paid clinical work (options include counseling center, hospitals, VA, substance abuse centers, advocacy centers, child positions, speech clinics, probation, adolescent centers, etc...). Additionally, Baylor has its own clinic and you are able to pick up a variety of cases of interest as well as complete assessments in the clinic. The cohorts are usually about 6 and the whole program is pretty close. Anyway if anyone needs more info please feel free to private mail me.