current Davis students - thoughts on tablet PC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kate_g

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a couple of current Davis students on here... Just wondering what y'all think of the mandatory bought-from-the-school laptop. For those who chose the tablet, how do you think that's working out? Do you actually use the tablet features? How much specialized software do you really have and use in classes etc.? Also, I'd like to look up some specific features - what's the brand and model? (The info I can get to on Davis' website doesn't actually say.) Do you believe they're sticking with the same for next year, or getting a different model? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my wife about this and she is unaware of any mandatory purchase.Also she found nothing on the sisweb about it. She is a fourth year student. She purchased a tablet pc from bestbuy 2 years ago but only because we needed two laptops. She says that her pda is the most used item with her and other students as well.

I know there are a couple of current Davis students on here... Just wondering what y'all think of the mandatory bought-from-the-school laptop.

My school strongly suggested buying I think one of two models that Davis recommended (a tablet and something else). I used a mac, and it meet all the specifications so I didn't worry about it much until I got there and discovered that the computer support people for the vet school *refused* to support mac in any way (because they had a contract with PC products/support, not because he couldn't). It was really ridiculous....if I wanted to know how to turn it on, he wasn't going to tell me.

I sort of freaked out, because I really hadn't budgeted for a new laptop. Thing is, the computer people at the undergrad do support macs and will help you with w/e. We also have a certified apply store and those guys are always a great help. So far my computer has been just fine and there are several other mac users. If there is some progam that I really need, I'll scrape together a bare bones desktop or get a used laptop.

Bottom line...(and this may be different where you are), unless your current computer is really old and doesn't meet the requirements at all, I'd just wait til you got there. You're probably fine. It is nice to have a CD and DVD burner in your laptop so you can easily share things with other students at school.

For those who chose the tablet, how do you think that's working out? Do you actually use the tablet features?..

Some students at my school have these, and they are very nice. Being a little bit techy, I've asked about them and everyone says they do like them, but you really have to force yourself to use all their features or it isn't worth it. If you like hard copies (which I do)...it might be a difficult switch. I'd only buy one if you really really think that it's going to be a better study tool for you. Personally, I know I'd be printing all my notes and powerpoints out which defeats the purpose.

Also, I'd make sure you shell out the extra money for the warranty for the screen, since touch screens usually have problems eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
unless your current computer is really old and doesn't meet the requirements at all, I'd just wait til you got there.
Yeah, I'd have no choice - they actually require you buy the specific model that they sell, and that you buy it from them. The chance that I might go to Davis is the reason I haven't bought a laptop since my vintage 1998 model bit the dust - and I haven't wanted to jump the gun and buy whatever they sold last year or the year before, because for all I know they'll change their minds for next year.

Every time I think about it I'm pretty steamed at the enforced monopoly deal. And at the fact that carrying weight was almost certainly not nearly as high on their priority list as it is on mine - anything over four pounds is going to make me grumble, unless I really have to carry *nothing* else. So I was really hoping some first- and second-years at Davis would reply and say it's totally worth it, the courses really take advantage of the tablet features, they have no regrets about the mandatory purchase, etc... Anyone? :)

The new Intel Macs are the way to go. You can run windows or mac osx.

First Mac Tablet Set To Be Unveiled At Macworld Next Week

The ModBook was developed by hardware manufacturer Axiotron and Other World Computing, a Mac product manufacturer and reseller.

The first Mac tablet computer is set to be unveiled at Macworld Expo next week in San Francisco.

The ModBook, a high-end slate-style notebook computer, is being developed by a cooperative effort between hardware manufacturer Axiotron and Other World Computing, a Mac product manufacturer and reseller.

The Axiotron ModBook features Wacom's Penabled hardware for pen input and is fully compatible with Apple's Inkwell, a Mac OS X Tiger feature that provides system-level handwriting and gesture recognition for Mac applications, the company said. Axiotron said users will be able to draw and write directly on the screen. They're aiming the product at professionals, students, and artists. The ModBook also is the only portable Mac system that features an optional built-in Global Positioning System, the company said. The Axiotron ModBook GPS Module was developed in cooperation with GlobalSat Technologies using the SiRFstar III chipset for shorter first location fix times and improved tracking capabilities.

Axiotron has announced that Macworld Expo attendees will be able to try out the ModBook at the show, starting on Jan. 9. Pricing and feature details will be available then.

Hey Kate,
I'm a first year student at UC Davis and yes, they do require you to buy one of two computers which they then set up and give to you. The two computers for our class are the Toshiba portege m400 tablet and the 15" mac book pro. I have the tablet, as do all but about 30 people in the class. Most people bring their computers to school everyday and use them for almost all of their note taking. I personally take all of my lecture notes on my computer, which works out well because most of the professors post their lecture slides on the web ahead of time, then we can download them and take notes right on the slides. If you do want to get the mac, it is a bit harder to take notes, but several people still bring those and type their notes. As for the weight, I don't know exactly how much it weighs, I am sure you can look it up, but even with the extra battery that I have on my computer (they gave it to us when we got the computer) it really isn't too bad. There is also a lot of support for the computers, obviously some of us have had problems, but the computer staff is good and they have loaner computers if yours has a problem so that you can still have a computer. I don't know if they will get the same models next year or not. The whole thing is still slightly a work in progress as this was the first year that the computers were required so I think they will probably change how they do things at least a little bit.

I really hope this answers some of your questions, if you have more feel free to ask.

Rell

The two computers for our class are the Toshiba portege m400 tablet and the 15" mac book pro.

Fantastic, that's exactly what I wanted to know... The Portege is 4.5 lbs, I could live with that. I hope they stick with that (or move to another brand that's even lighter) rather than switching to one of the heavier Toshiba models.

So, part of the justification for making everyone buy the exact same computer is that they can support specialized software for class projects and whatnot... I'm curious as to how much of that they actually have/use. Beyond the normal Office suite and things like that, are there other programs they actually have you use a lot for work in or out of class? Do you get a computerized atlas, or software copies of any of your textbooks or anything?

Thanks for the info!

Hello,

I'm a first year student at Davis too right now. My experience with the laptops have been largely positive. I was a little iffy about the tablet feature at first because I've never used one, but it's dramatically changed how I take notes and study. Some things I like about it:

1. eliminates paper... saves paper, don't have to buy it, don't have to carry it around, or worry about losing them.

2. organized. i have all my notes organized by class and lecture. it's really easy with Microsoft Onenote or Journal.

3. I like using the tablet like a dry erase board. it's good for working out problems, writing out biochem pathways, etc

4. having all my notes in one place. this is pretty cool. like today in nutrition, the prof was talking about arginine deficiency. we talked about argine in biochem last quarter and all it took was a few clicks for me to bring up the arginine pathway.

how you use the tablet is up to you. you can download the powerpoint lecture slides and highlight important information, write notes on the slide or off to the side, color code things, take notes in microsoft Word, whatever. You can use the keyboard to type notes or use the pen to write. It's really up to you. I know some people still prefer regular paper notes, but I'm a big fan of the tablet.

As of now, I can't think of any special Davis software. They might have some in the future, but I can't see why it wouldn't run on any other computer. A reason they want everyone to have the same laptop is so that everyone is on the same page. no one is left behind, everyone would have internet access, everyone could play the videos, etc.

we did get a free trial of digital textbooks, which was pretty cool. It was easy to find information by searching and you didn't have to lug them around. i've yet to purchase any digital textbooks though. for now, i'm sticking with paper textbooks.

I'm not sure if that answered you question, but feel free to keep the questions coming...

Oh, just wondering, do know you Dr. Parker over at Berkeley?

rell, you really should be studying right now.

i have all my notes organized by class and lecture. it's really easy with Microsoft Onenote or Journal.
everyone could play the videos, etc.

Aha! So this is the kind of stuff I meant as far as specialized software. Not Davis-specific in this case, but the fact that there is software for organizing notes that can handle tablet stuff, the fact that your classes use videos that are in a particular file format that you need to be able to play (makes sense of course, but most of my vet mentors went to school long enough ago that they talk about going to the library to watch the VHS tapes).

I know some people still prefer regular paper notes, but I'm a big fan of the tablet.
Yeah, I consider myself very much a pen-and-paper gal, but I'm open to being converted. I can certainly type faster than I can write by hand, but I'm concerned about how detailed a drawing you could make with the stylus... Anyway, it's good to hear you're really taking advantage of the tablet features.

Oh, just wondering, do know you Dr. Parker over at Berkeley?
Yes! His encouragement was one of the big kicks that got me to actually start writing essays and compiling grades for my application rather than just thinking about it. :)